What's For Dinner - Sunday???
  Re: (...)
What's everyone up to tonight?

I'm planning to use some more of the sausage I just made for a Quinoa with Hot Italian Sausage & Feta dish -have not made it before. Think it's from Food & Wine.

Also going to make a completely decadent chocolate pie - called Caribbean Fudge Pie and "try" to cut it in small pieces and freeze for a fast chocolate high later. It is so good and so just down right bad, an old Kraft recipe card.

And, before I go to bed I'm going to put on Maryann's crockpot oatmeal for breakfast - will be nice to have something like this for a change.

Footnote - At thanksgiving I had some extra pumpkin pie that I wanted to try and stay out of, so I froze two pkgs. of two slices each and somehow forgot all about them. Thawed one pkg. out last night for a dessert and I'm really surprised at how well they held up. The only problem was there was no whipped cream for Roy Rogers, but he suffered thru it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's For Dinner - Sunday??? by cjs (What's everyone up t...)
Jean, my daughter told me that she made the crockpot oatmeal the other night with "regular" oatmeal and it was too mushy. You might want to wait until you can get the steel-cut oats to make this.

Dinner tonight will be some pork and sauerkraut from New Years that I put into food saver bags, and some hot, fluffy mashed potatoes. Also have a package of cheesecake that I froze. Will be anxious to see how that held up.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: What's For Dinner - Sunday??? by cjs (What's everyone up t...)
"The only problem was there was no whipped cream for Roy Rogers, but he suffered thru it."

Somehow, I don't think Roy ever suffers! If he starts complaining, I will gladly eat the food for him.

I am finally trying the lasagna soup today. When it was first reviewed, it was still too warm here to think about, but since Bill just brought it back to the forefront, and we actually have snow, it sounds like the perfect dinner. Looking forward to it.

Jean, I will google the Carribean Fudge Pie, but if I can't find it, I will beg you for the recipe.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner - Sunday??? by chef_Tab ("The only problem wa...)
Well, I never did get to make the róbalo in mango salsa that I mentioned the other night, since I forgot that ripe mangoes are not in season right now, so I saved the fish until Saturday and made the following, yummy dish. I be having the leftovers of that tonight.

Róbalo Fillets in Garlic Butter
Six servings

Ingredients:
  • 2 Lbs Róbalo fillets
  • 6 Cloves Garlic, crushed
  • 3 Tbs Vegetable oil
  • Strips of bacon (one for each piece of fish)
  • 1 C Bread crumbs (I used panko)
  • 1/4 Lb Butter
  • 3 Tbs Fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 1/2 C Dry white wine
  • 1 Tbs Tarragon (sounds like a lot, but this IS correct)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions:
  1. Mix together 1 Tbs of oil, the tarragon, and the wine.
  2. Salt and pepper each fillet, then pour the oil/tarragon/wine mixture over the fillets and let them marinate for 30 minutes.
  3. Roll up each fillet, wrap with a strip of bacon, and hold together with toothpicks.
  4. In a saucepan, heat 2 Tbs of oil then sauté the garlic for 3 minutes.
  5. Add the butter and parsley. Cook until the butter is melted and everything is well blended.
  6. Place the rolled-up fillets into a baking dish and pour the butter mixture over them.
  7. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top.
  8. Bake in a 350F oven for 15 minutes until golden.
Notes:
  • The package of róbalo I had was only one pound, and I was just cooking for myself, so I cut the recipe in half. What's shown above is the full recipe.
  • So I wouldn't be wasting a bunch of propane, and since this was small enough, I cooked this in my toaster-oven. Due to the closeness of the elements in the toaster-oven, I needed to cover the dish with aluminum foil to keep the bread crumbs from burning. Of course, the foil had the added effect of deflecting some of the heat, so (since I test for doneness with a thermometer, not by elapsed time) it took a little longer to cook. Even so, it all worked very well, and was delicious!
(Source: Translated from the Spanish at recetas.com)
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner - Sunday??? by labradors (Well, I never did ge...)
Theresa, this will save you some time -

* Exported from MasterCook *

Caribbean Fudge Pie

8 squares Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate -- (1 pkg.)
1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell (just buy Pillsbury pie crust)
1 tsp. rum extract or vanilla
1/4 cup flour
3 eggs
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup butter -- (1/2 stick) room temp.
2 tsp. instant coffee granules
1/2 cup walnut halves

Heat oven to 375 F.

Microwave chocolate in microwaveable bowl on HIGH 2 minutes or until almost melted, stirring halfway thru heating time. Remove and stir until completely melted Set aside.

Beat butter and sugar in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

Add chocolate, coffee and rum extract; mix well. Stir in flour and chopped walnuts. Pour into pastry shell. Decorate top of pie with walnut halves.

Bake in lower third of oven 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until ready to serve. Top with whipped cream or ice cream, if desired.

From Kraft Recipe card - early 90s.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner - Sunday??? by cjs (Theresa, this will s...)
Ooh, never heard of Robalo but I'm sure I'd like it. Never met a fish I didn't like!

I'm going to go for the Chicken Marsala w/Cheese Tortellini recipe that's is in one of the Weeknight books I believe. I hope I can remember how to cook. My husband has been gone so much this month I've really been skating by.
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner - Sunday??? by Mare749 (Jean, my daughter to...)
I just took a Ham & Spinach Quiche out of the oven. (Dec. 2007 C@H). It looks sooo good. I'll be bringing it over to the kids house later for an early dinner. It's not just for breakfast any more!
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner - Sunday??? by cjs (Theresa, this will s...)
thanks for the pie recipe Jean!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner - Sunday??? by chef_Tab ( [img]/ubbthreads/im...)
We are going to do the Spicy Citrus Halibut (or Cod) from the Cuisine For Two -pg 26.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: What's For Dinner - Sunday??? by Old Bay (We are going to do t...)
I'm cooking out of the freezer tonight. I've been needing to get rid of some chicken parts, so I'm simmering some stock and will make pastry or use up some egg noodles from the pantry...depends on how much other stuff I get done today. I've got a few small heads of cabbage from the garden that need to be used and will probably make up some corn bread. Comfort food!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.