Mahogany Beef Stew with Red Wine and Hoisin Sauce
  Re: (...)
I haven't posted any recipes in a long time and thought I'd step up and do my part here! I've been making this recipe since it came out and just made it again the other night. Had the leftovers for lunch today and they were so good! Thought some of you might like something a little different in the stew arena. Changes I made - reduced the wine to 1 cup and added 1 cup of beef broth in it's place. I also simmered the stew longer than called for (I do this for almost every stew recipe). I served this with smashed red potatoes.

Mahogany Beef Stew with Red Wine and Hoisin Sauce
Bon Appétit | February 2002

Yield: Makes 6 servings

4 tablespoons olive oil
3 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
3 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
1/2 cup hoisin sauce*
2 bay leaves

1 pound slender carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Add meat to pot; sauté until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Push meat to sides of pot. Reduce heat to medium; add 2 tablespoons oil to pot. Add onions; sauté until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Mix meat into onions. Add 1 cup wine, tomatoes with juices, hoisin sauce, and bay leaves. Bring to boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and 1 cup wine. Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover, increase heat to high; boil until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer. Reduce heat to medium, add cornstarch mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Season stew with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before serving, stirring occasionally.) Transfer stew to large bowl. Sprinkle with parsley; serve.
* Available at Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets.
  Re: Mahogany Beef Stew with Red Wine and Hoisin Sauce by Trixxee (I haven't posted any...)
Sounds yummy, but where does the mahogany come in? That actually grows here, and it's even its own variety, called "Honduran Mahogany."
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Mahogany Beef Stew with Red Wine and Hoisin Sa by labradors (Sounds yummy, but wh...)
Sounds wonderful, Trixxee!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Mahogany Beef Stew with Red Wine and Hoisin Sa by labradors (Sounds yummy, but wh...)
Quote:

Sounds yummy, but where does the mahogany come in? That actually grows here, and it's even its own variety, called "Honduran Mahogany."

Well, I assume it means the color. Much more rich color than a typical brown beef stew. That's my guess anyway!
  Re: Re: Mahogany Beef Stew with Red Wine and Hoisin Sa by Trixxee ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Trixxee, that sounds wonderful! I can't wait to try it...and I will....very soon!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.