Pot Roast
  Re: (...)
Ok so I think I have found THE best pot roast ever! It's from Ina Garten and truly is just wonderful. Important note, if you can't find chuck roast then use a meat that has a lot of marbling. This will make your meat so incredibly moist you can't believe it. I have enough sauce left over I'm making a soup tomorrow. Seriously this is a GREAT recipe!

Ingredients

1 (4 to 5-pound) prime boneless beef chuck roast, tied
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
All-purpose flour
Good olive oil
2 cups chopped carrots (4 carrots)
2 cups chopped yellow onions (2 onions)
2 cups chopped celery (4 stalks)
2 cups chopped leeks, white and light green parts (2 to 4 leeks)
5 large garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2 cups good red wine, such as Burgundy
2 tablespoons Cognac or brandy
1 (28-ounce) can whole plum tomatoes in puree
1 cup chicken stock, preferably homemade
1 chicken bouillon cube
3 branches fresh thyme
2 branches fresh rosemary
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, at room temperature

Directions
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

Pat the beef dry with a paper towel. Season the roast all over with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper. Dredge the whole roast in flour, including the ends. In a large Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the roast and sear for 4 to 5 minutes, until nicely browned. Turn and sear the other side and then turn and sear the ends. This should take 4 to 5 minutes for each side. Remove the roast to a large plate.

Add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the Dutch oven. Add the carrots, onions, celery, leeks, garlic, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper and cook over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender but not browned. Add the wine and Cognac and bring to a boil. Add the tomatoes, chicken stock, bouillon cube, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon pepper. Tie the thyme and rosemary together with kitchen string and add to the pot.

Put the roast back into the pot, bring to a boil, and cover. Place in the oven for 2 1/2 hours, until the meat is fork tender or about 160 degrees F internally. Turn the heat down to 250 degrees F after about an hour to keep the sauce at a simmer.

Remove the roast to a cutting board. Remove the herb bundle and discard. Skim off as much fat as possible from the sauce. Transfer half the sauce and vegetables to a blender or a food processor fitted with the steel blade and puree until smooth. Pour the puree back into the pot, place on the stovetop over low heat, and return the sauce to a simmer. Place 2 tablespoons flour and the butter in a small bowl and mash them together with a fork. Stir into the sauce and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring until thickened. Taste for seasonings. Remove the strings from the roast, and slice the meat.

Serve warm with the sauce spooned over it.
  Re: Pot Roast by DFen911 (Ok so I think I have...)
Harumph! This DOES sound delicious, but even though it uses a pot, it's still an OVEN roast. POT roast is cooked on the stove. Here is another case of the South's trying to rise again by stealing traditional, Yankee, New-England meals and deconstructing them into something of their own. Another notable example, of course, is when they throw super-thick noodles into chicken soup and call the result "chicken and dumplings," when TRUE Chicken and Dumplings is made with buttermilk biscuit dough simmered in the pot with the chicken, allowing the bottoms of the biscuits to soak up some of that chicken-broth goodness while the middles stay nice and fluffy.

At least she remembered the sine qua non: rosemary, which most Southern (or, in her case, from NYC, but learned to cook in NC) cooks tend to miss, even though she added leeks and tomatoes (which are not part of standard Pot Roast) and wine (which is from Beef Bourguignon, not standard Pot Roast).

-----

Seriously, this DOES sound good, and certainly has merit of its own.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Pot Roast by labradors (Harumph! This DOES ...)
Thanks for the recipe - Can't wait to try -

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Pot Roast by mjkcooking (Thanks for the recip...)
It sounds naughty and nice! Out of curiosity, what did you serve with it Denise?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Pot Roast by chef_Tab (It sounds naughty an...)
Hey Denise, now that does sound tasty. tis copied.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pot Roast by cjs (Hey Denise, now that...)
Funny you should mention Pot Roast! It's what's for dinner tonight!!

I can't take the credit, but "Slow Cookers For Dummies" has invented a new food group. After the meat is done, you take a stick blender to the mire poix and use that as the gravy! Mmmmmm good!!

Cooking time: Low 9 to 10 hours

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

2 TBS olive oil
3- to 4- pound boneless chuck or rump roast
salt and pepper
2 large onions, chopped
2 carrots, scraped and chopped
1 stalk celery, sliced thin
1 cup red wine of beef broth
1 tsp dried thyme
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
2 TBS minced Italian flat parsley
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

Lightly spray a 4- to 6- quart slow cooker with vegetable oil cooking spray,

Salt and pepper the meat.

Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the meat evenly on all sides. Add to the slow cooker.

Add the onions, carrots, and celery to the skillet and cook for 7 to 8 minutes over medium high heat until the onion is soft. Add the wine/broth and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper, Bring to a simmer and cook for 2 minutes. Pour over the meat.

(I always add garlic to this, can't live without it!)

Cover and cook on low for 9 to 10 hours, or until fork tender. (at this point, it's falling apart, trust me)

Remove the meat and let it sit, covered for 15 minutes before slicing.

Puree the cooking liquid in a food processor or blender until smooth. Salt to taste. (I use my stick blender)

Voila!! New food group!! And it is so tasty!!

I'll have to give Ina's recipe a try next time!! It looks like it's got more flavor depth to it.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Pot Roast by BarbaraS (Funny you should men...)
" After the meat is done, you take a stick blender to the mire poix and use that as the gravy! "

Barbara, that's a trick he taught me the first time he cooked me goose. The flavour is great.

I don't care what you call the recipes, they both sound great! Thanks!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Pot Roast by DFen911 (Ok so I think I have...)
The recipe posted by Denfen911 is the one I've been using ever since I saw Ina Garten make it on TV. It is truly the best pot roast recipe I've ever made. I always use chuck because it's the most flavorful. And I've always made pot roast in the oven. Been doing that for 45 years, ain't gonna change now. I think it does a good job of keeping the heat even and throughout.

I just got an immersion blender so I'm going to take Lorraine's advice and use it for the gravy as she suggested. Thanks Lorraine.
  Re: Re: Pot Roast by DramaQueen (The recipe posted by...)
Thanks for the recipes you guys! The one Denise posted is on the menu for next week!

Speaking of yours Barbara, I keep meaning to dig my slow cooker out of the cabinet and put it somewhere more accessible. I think I might can use it now without cringing...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Pot Roast by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks for the recip...)
Daphne,

The slow cooker recipe just fills the kitchen with a heavenly smell. I'm going to try Ina's recipe next time, but I'll have to cut in half since I don't have a big dutch oven.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.