Baguette Recipe
  Re: (...)
Has anyone had success/failure with the baquette recipe from Jan/09 Issue? I've made it several times following the recipe exactly and each time it flops. The dough seems too wet, doesn't rise or shape well. I may try new yeast but I really don't think that's the problem as the starter looks good/yeasty. The bread just doesn't have body. Any help much appreciated.
  Re: Baguette Recipe by pattystephens (Has anyone had succe...)
Hi Patty, and welcome to the forum! Hope you will come back and join us often. We love new members and everyone here is very friendly and helpful.

As for your question, no, I haven't made it yet. Many of us on this forum use that 18 hour no-knead recipe that Mark Bittman first wrote about in the New York Times. The recipe is practically fool-proof, so it works well for those of us who are not professional bakers. (like me)

Someone will be along shortly who may have tried this recipe and might be able to help. So, hang around for a bit, read some of the other posts and get acquainted.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
I will see if I can find the thread and give you a link. I know someone else did try it and had trouble. I will go look.

I think this is it: Poolish Starter

If this is not info you are looking for, I am sure someone else can drop in and give you a hand.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Baguette Recipe by luvnit (I will see if I can ...)
I'm like Maryann, I love making the 18 hour bread with all kinds of variations. Have not tried the bread recipes in the Jan. issue - but also, just realized yesterday, I have not made anything from that issue yet and the next one is coming....wow, never happened before.

Welcome to the forums!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Baguette Recipe by cjs (I'm like Maryann, I ...)
Patty, while I make bread, I have my own formula. Since it is so close to the one in the magazine, I have not tried it. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend and report. It's been a couple of weeks, so I'm overdue.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
Brand new to this forum. I have actually just made the baguette recipe. It turned out to be the best tasting and most beautiful bread I have ever made. The only thing I did differently was to knead the bread 600 times, which is approx. 15 to 20 minutes. that was something I found on the internet. I don't know if it made a difference or not. Must say I had trouble with the window pane indicator. The dough still tore along the sides no matter how long I kneaded it. Didn't seem to hurt the bread though!
  Re: Re: Baguette Recipe by wandaK (Brand new to this fo...)
Hi WandaK!

Welcome to the forum. I have been meaning to try this recipe since the issue came out. I am not a baker, but I would love to learn to bake a great French Baguette.

Your tips are great! Thanks, I will keep them in mind when I finally do make this.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Baguette Recipe by luvnit (Hi WandaK![br][br]We...)
600 times!! Good Lord! When your fingers are back in shape, I hope you'll come back and visit with us again! Welcome to the forum.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Baguette Recipe by wandaK (Brand new to this fo...)
Welcome to the forum Wanda!

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Baguette Recipe by Mare749 (Welcome to the forum...)
Woah, Wanda! Six hundred times?!?!?! Bless your heart! I think I'll stick with my KA for the kneading when I try it. I had planned to try it this weekend, but unless I loose my mind...which is possible this week...I'm going to do Sharon's bread recipe. This one and cubangirl's bread will have to wait another week.

I NEED TO RETIRE!!!!!

Oh and welcome Wanda! I hope you will join us often! We all LOVE to cook, and I particularly love to make bread....when I have the time.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.