Saturday Dinner - 2/28??
  Re: (...)
Has anyone stirred themselves enough this a.m. to decide yet?? I haven't. It's always so hard to choose the day after a "Big shopping" day.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Saturday Dinner - 2/28?? by cjs (Has anyone stirred t...)
Oh yes- I knew what I was making today, yesterday! I'm making sweet and sour pork using the sweet and sour scallop recipe from one of the weeknight books. Last time I made it with chicken. One of these days I'll actually make it with scallops.
  Re: Saturday Dinner - 2/28?? by cjs (Has anyone stirred t...)
This is "Open That Bottle" nite. We're having steak Diane with potato galette and steamed green beans (hericot verts) that we froze a few months ago (experiment). We will pair the meal with a really good Oregon pinot (undicided as to which).

Join us!! Happy OTBN!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - 2/28?? by Old Bay (This is "Open That B...)
Foris Pinot Noir!!

Very good and reasonable.

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - 2/28?? by BarbaraS (Foris Pinot Noir!![b...)
Any suggestions on a wine that would go well with sweet and sour pork?
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - 2/28?? by Trixxee (Any suggestions on a...)
Trixxee, I'd be inclined to go with a Riesling or gewurztraminer, or even a chardonnay. Let's see what others recommend.

Oh Bill, I forgot - Roy's on his way down to pick out two to try.

We're going with a ritzy dinner - wonder just what will go with Crockpot Burritos??? Haven't had them forever!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - 2/28?? by Trixxee (Any suggestions on a...)
James has a couple of steaks defrosting, he wants to grill them. Italian blend for the veggie and maybe frozen corn on the cobs. And, maybe I'll do some mushrooms in spice and butter.
Oh and he's chozen a Merlot so Happy OTBN to all!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - 2/28?? by cjs (Trixxee, I'd be incl...)
I agree--Riesling or Gewurtz--I like a dryer Riesling. A New Zealand sauvignon blanc might work.
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - 2/28?? by Old Bay (I agree--Riesling or...)
Oh Bill, Roy brought up two bottles - a Kiona, '84 Estate bottled, Yakima Vallley Cab and a Boeger '97 Reserve Sangiovese El Dorado.

We shall see what we shall see!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Saturday Dinner - 2/28?? by cjs (Oh Bill, Roy brought...)
Quote:

Oh Bill, Roy brought up two bottles - a Kiona, '84 Estate bottled, Yakima Vallley Cab and a Boeger '97 Reserve Sangiovese El Dorado.

We shall see what we shall see!

Our steak Diane is a little spicy so we are having an '04 Lemelson Vineyards Thea's Selection Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley--we so love pinot and drink it at any excuse!!

I am so interested in your selections--are you going to decant the '84? Dorothy and John with the WSJ say don't unless it has thrown a lot of sediment--just opened, it developes flavors with each successive glass--same with the '97. Their experience says , decanted, it is as it is poured, and doesn't change. I'm not that good, and you never know what is right unless you open two bottles, decant one and not the other and compare side by side (sorry, the chemist in me)--I've never done that. Might be fun!! Report please!!!