WARNING - A Sale at Club Tienda!!
  Re: (...)
Oh my, the pricesare wonderful...but, I'm going to be a good girl, I think.

http://club.tienda.com/?DCMP=EMC-CLUB030409
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: WARNING - A Sale at Club Tienda!! by cjs (Oh my, the pricesare...)
OOOh Jean, now you've done it!!!!
Up til now, I didn't even know such a place existed YIKES!!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: WARNING - A Sale at Club Tienda!! by farnfam (OOOh Jean, now you'v...)
Jean, you're a very bad friend. Like that warning would work...It was like a neon sign saying open immediately! YIKES! Those dishes are gorgeous and the ham and the anchovies.......Oh my!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
I hope you're not planning on being a good girl, Jean, because I'm dying to know what you decide to buy!

Those pasta bowls are calling me....
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: WARNING - A Sale at Club Tienda!! by Mare749 (I hope you're not pl...)
Six words (not counting these):

Manchego cheese,
Serrano ham -
GET THEM!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: WARNING - A Sale at Club Tienda!! by labradors (Six words (not count...)
I'm so trying.....
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: WARNING - A Sale at Club Tienda!! by labradors (Six words (not count...)
Labs,

I can get this Manchengo cheese at the local supermarkets. What makes it so good? Do you have any brand name recommendations? What do you eat/drink with it?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
That's where I got my cazuelas, and a piece of Serrano.

Edcited to add, I also bought some Pimonton (sp) peppers. Haven't used them yet, but I've seen many recipes calling for them.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: WARNING - A Sale at Club Tienda!! by Lorraine (That's where I got m...)
OMG Jean you are in such trouble!!!! When Derek looks at my bill and goes "Hey what is this for?!" I'm going to give him YOUR phone number
  Re: Re: WARNING - A Sale at Club Tienda!! by Lorraine (That's where I got m...)
Barb, I've seen three different brands down here, but the only name I recall right now would be the logically obvious one: "Cervantes." I love it when it is just by itself at room temperature. It melts very nicely, but I usually hate to "waste" it in such a way unless the result will be exceptional - that is, I wouldn't toss it in just ANYwhere, since it is SO delicious and SO expensive (at least for me, here). One of the exceptions is the following recipe that uses BOTH Manchego cheese AND Serrano Ham (which is probably available in your deli).

Quote:

Serrano Ham and Poblano Corn Pudding
(Bon Appétit | December 2005)
by Roberto Santibañez

2 large poblano chiles*
2 cups fresh corn kernels (from 2 large ears) or frozen, thawed, divided
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, melted, slightly cooled
1 teaspoon salt
Large pinch of baking powder
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup instant corn masa mix (Maseca)**
4 ounces 1/4-inch-thick slices Serrano ham or prosciutto, cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 1 cup)
1 cup coarsely grated Manchego cheese (about 4 1/2 ounces)

Char chiles over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides.
Enclose in paper bag 15 minutes. Peel and seed chiles, then cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch-wide strips.

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Generously butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Combine 1 1/2 cups corn, eggs, and next 3 ingredients in blender.
Blend until almost smooth. Transfer mixture to large bowl. Add sour cream and Maseca; stir until blended, then stir in ham, cheese, chiles, and remaining 1/2 cup corn. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish. Bake until corn pudding is puffed and golden brown in spots on top, about 40 minutes.

*These fresh green chiles, often called pasillas, are available at some supermarkets and at specialty foods stores and Latin markets.

**Maseca (instant corn masa mix) is available at Latin markets.

Please note that this was copied from the Epicurious copy of the Bon Appétit recipe, and the footnote that says that poblano chiles are "often called pasillas" is incorrect. Pasillas are the dried form of the Chilaca chile. Poblanos are NOT Chilacas (though they are VERY similar), and the dried form of a Poblano is called an Ancho chile.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?