DANGER: Filipino dessert with calories galore
  Re: (...)
Here's a dessert recipe that was posted on the Filipino forum a couple of days ago. Despite its French name, nobody seems to know its actual origin, though further Internet searches definitely showed the association of this dessert with the Philippines, and not France. Usually, it is made with cashews, but it may be made with almonds, instead, as in this recipe. The person who posted the recipe is a native Filipino who now lives in California, and he also was one of the people who helped me with some of my questions about Lumpia, earlier. The picture is from the posted recipe.

Quote:

[Image: BetteSansRival.jpg]

Sans Rival
for the wafers:
10 egg whites at room temperature
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
2 cups finely chopped almonds
for the filling and frosting:
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup light corn syrup
2 tbsp water
1/4 cup sugar
2 sticks butter at room temperature (1/2 lb)
for the topping:1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
- Beat egg yolks until it turns light yellow.
- Heat corn syrup, sugar and water over low heat. Cook for 2 minutes after it boils.
- Pour the syrup into the egg yolk slowly while beating on medium speed. Set aside to cool down.
- Preheat oven to 325F. Line three cookie sheets or jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Generously grease and flour the parchment paper (very important so the meringue will not stick; if you use the Reynolds Release foil, then you don't have to grease and flour)
- Beat egg whites and of tartar until soft peaks form. Add sugar a tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat until stiff.
- Fold in ground almonds.
- Spread evenly on the cookie sheets about 1/4 inch thick. Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut the wafer into desired size while still warm. Peel off the paper or foil. If the parchment paper is sticking, cover with damp towel for a minute or so.
- Spread the frosting thinly on top of each meringue and stack another meringue, repeat with the layering . Don't put too much frosting in each layer or you wouldn't have enough to frost the outside of the Sans Rival.
- Sprinkle chopped almonds on the top and sides. Chill in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Sounds incredibly good, but I would probably prefer it with the apparently-more-common cashews. Unfortunately, this is not the kind of thing a single guy with no roommates needs to have sitting around the apartment, so it may be a while before I try it - if at all. LOL!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: DANGER: Filipino dessert with calories galore by labradors (Here's a dessert rec...)
Hmmm, looks interesting - I'm copying the recipe to take over to my Filipino neighbor, Neri, and see if it is familiar to her.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: DANGER: Filipino dessert with calories galore by cjs (Hmmm, looks interest...)
Cool! Would love to hear feedback on it, especially as to which she would consider more typical: cashews or almonds.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: DANGER: Filipino dessert with calories galore by cjs (Hmmm, looks interest...)
It does sound interesting, especially with the almonds. Can't wrap my mind around cashews in this one. Don't think I've ever seen a Filipino dessert recipe before. It is rich, but note that there is not a lot of sugar in it.

Oops, just saw the cup of sugar in the wafers. Spoke too soon!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."