Green Chili Stew (Caldillo Chili Verde)
  Re: (...)
This is modified from Central Market's "Un-edited & Un-tested Hatch Chile Pepper Recipe Book"--mostly handwritten. This is a modified-now tested- recipe by Jack Goodman from Austin, Texas--serves 8-12

2 lbs pork shoulder or butt, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
24 oz green enchilada sauce
24 oz chicken broth
24 oz beef broth
2 med yellow or white onions, peeled, halved, sliced thin
16 oz roasted and peeled poblano or Hatch chili peppers, cut into 1 inch
squares. (can use canned) (or a combination)
2 8oz cans "Herdez" salsa casera
2 med russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2" pieces
1 t ground cumin
2 t dried Mexican oregano, crumbled with fingers as added
4 cloves garlic, chopped
2 T masa dissolved in 6 T cold water
salt & pepper to taste and lard and/or corn oil for sauteing

Salt & pepper the meat and cook in lard in a large skillet over med high heat until brown on all sides--set meat aside. Reduce heat to med.

Add onion and saute until translucent, de glacing the pan. Add garlic, cumen, oregano, and green chilis. Stir 1 min. Add the meat and potatoes. Stir in the Herdez sauce, enchilada sauce, chicken broth and chicken broth. Stir from bottom every now and then, scraping up brown bits.

Cook over med heat until simmering--reduce to low, cover and cook for at least an hour, until potatoes are tender. Adjust seasonings.

Add the masa/water mixture--bring to a boil while stirring-reduce heat to low and keep stirring until slightly thickened. Serve with a squeeze of lime juice and some chopped fresh sweet onion on top of each bowl.

Delicious--best green chili stew I've ever tasted!!
P.S. We had this Thursday nite-- leftovers are for Sat lunch.
  Re: Green Chili Stew (Caldillo Chili Verde) by Old Bay (This is modified fro...)
Of course this is copied - sounds so good, Bill!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Green Chili Stew (Caldillo Chili Verde) by Old Bay (This is modified fro...)
Quote:

2 8oz cans "Herdez" salsa casera

Forget about your "Old El Paso," your "Pace," and your "NEW York CITY!" - this is THE best salsa available. It's also the purest and most authentic. There are days when I could use an I-V drip of the stuff! Some places in the States (even some WalMart stores) are starting to carry the 16-oz bottles of it, as well.

Herdez is a brand that originated in Mexico, and is now owned by Hormel, but has maintained their excellent quality. Friends and family members in the States have told me that they have started to see a lot more Herdez products, lately. They have even seen their wonderful Jamón del Diablo con Chipotle (Deviled Ham with Chipotle) that blows away Underwood any day.

Even if you don't make this recipe, get the salsa and some tortilla chips, and you'll be addicted, too!

My name is Labs, and I'm a salsaholic.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Green Chili Stew (Caldillo Chili Verde) by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
I'm never without at least 2 cans of the red--the Herdez salsa verde is good too.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Green Chili Stew (Caldillo Chili Verde) by Old Bay (I'm never without at...)
I brought this up for two reasons. First, I didn't know if anybody would be interested in the recipe. It smells wonderful simmering away in my kitchen. I'll add my review after dinner.

Secondly, I thought I'd give you all a laugh. When I went to the store, Boston Butt was on sale, but they're packaged in cryo-vac packages of two. Since I'm doing BIG shopping tomorrow for the freezer, I didn't want to go that route. My butcher was willing to cut me some off of one but then suggested something else...BONELESS PORK NECKBONES! I got to thinking about Kelly's recipe for Venison Neck Bone something or other, that Jean loves so much and decided...why not!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Green Chili Stew (Caldillo Chili Verde) by Gourmet_Mom (I brought this up fo...)
Oh yes, Daphne, Kelly's dish is wonderful - do you have the recipe???
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Green Chili Stew (Caldillo Chili Verde) by cjs (Oh yes, Daphne, Kell...)
Oh, yes, I've got it. I have yet to make it, since William ignores the fact that I've requested the neck portion of the deer. He thinks I'm crazy. Maybe this year.

BTW, I just took a sip of the broth in the stew....WONDERFUL! The perfect balance of heat. I can't wait!!!!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Green Chili Stew (Caldillo Chili Verde) by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, yes, I've got it...)
I thought he'd NEVER get home! This was a definite NINE! This stew was really good! I don't think it thickened as much as it should, but that's not surprising...I have trouble with that with anything requiring thickening. I don't know if it's my "flour" (whatever kind I use), my stove, my pan, or what. Things just don't thicken like I imagine. This turned out a little thicker than soup, but thinner than stew, at least stews that I'm familiar with.

Thankfully, while searching for ideas to use my beloved new treat...Hatch chilies, I found the website Bill posted a while back. I'll be ordering more. William wants to make this at the camp this fall for the hunters! I'm thinking that it would be good with the deer neck meat, also...so tender and yummy!

Jean, I think I may have convinced him tonight to save the necks this year!

Oh, and THANK YOU BILL AND JANE! This was awesome and will be repeated this fall and winter, for sure! Next up...Hatch Chile Dip! We'll have just the dip with other appies Monday and then again Wednesday with Fish Tacos! I'm going to try Jean's Oven Fried Fish recipe this time.

One more thing...I guess I'll be trying out making my own corn tortillas as another project soon. Masa is only sold in 4.4 pound packs here...LOL! MUCH more than I needed. Any other ideas for using this? I don't think we're ready for tamales, but we'll see. Other than that, though...how else do you use this stuff?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Green Chili Stew (Caldillo Chili Verde) by Gourmet_Mom (I thought he'd NEVER...)
Quote:

...how else do you use this stuff?

Check out THIS thread from where we discussed the same question when Vicci asked it.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Green Chili Stew (Caldillo Chili Verde) by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Daphne, I just made a note to post the sopes recipe, maybe tomorrow.
www.achefsjourney.com