Pork Medalions with Five-Spice Powder
  Re: (...)
Made this tonight from a Williams Sonoma Mayo Clinic Cookbook and it was good enough that I decided to post it here. Pork tenderloin is really low in calories and we really liked this method for cooking it - it was a nice pink throughout and very tasty. And, only 235 calories per serving!

Pork Medallions with Five-Spice Powder
Marinade:
2 T low-sodium soy sauce
1 T green onion, minced (including tender green top)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
3/4 t five-spice powder

Remaining ingredients:
1 T olive oil
1/2 cup water, plus 1-3 T as needed
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/3 cup chopped yellow onion
1/2 head green cabbage, thinly sliced (about 4 cups/12 oz)
1 T chopped fresh Italian parsley

Combine marinade ingredients, whisk to blend (I used my mini food processor). Coat a 1 pound trimmed tenderloin with marinade in a resealable plastic bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Remove pork from the marinade and pat dry. Discard the marinade. In a large, oven proof frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook, turning as needed, until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water to the pan.

Transfer the hot pan to the oven and roast until the pork is slightly pink inside and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center reads 160 degrees F. Transfer the pork to a cutting board, cover with a kitchen towel, and rest for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile place the pan over medium-high heat Add the wine and deglaze the pan, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits. Add the onion and cook for about 1 minute. Add the cabbage and 1 T of the remaining water. Stir well, reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer until cabbage is wilted, about 4 minutes. Add additional water if needed.

Slice pork into 8 medallions. Divide medallions and wilted cabbage among individual plates and serve immediately. (It never says what to do with the parsley... so I used it for garnish.)

I served this with "asian" green beans. Very satisfying meal.
  Re: Pork Medalions with Five-Spice Powder by HomeCulinarian (Made this tonight fr...)
As an old friend used to say - you had me at Five-Spice! sounds good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Pork Medalions with Five-Spice Powder by cjs (As an old friend use...)
Thanks HC, copied!
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Pork Medalions with Five-Spice Powder by bjcotton (Thanks HC, copied!...)
It does sound good, and I just happen to have that very same cookbook! Really need to be using it a whole lot more too. Thanks for bringing this up.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pork Medalions with Five-Spice Powder by Mare749 (It does sound good, ...)
Maryann - we've tried a few things from it and have given it more attention because of the diet... We liked:
Baby beets and carrots with dill
Green beans with red pepper and garlic
Farfalle with fresh tomato sauce
Linguine with mushrooms
Orzo with cherry tomatoes, capers and lemon

I have many more flagged to try.
  Re: Re: Pork Medalions with Five-Spice Powder by HomeCulinarian (Maryann - we've trie...)
Thanks Jeanette. I just got a new cookbook today and it looks very interesting. It's the New Mediterranean Diet Cookbook by Nancy Harmon Jenkins. I got it from the library, but it looks so good that I'm ordering it from Amazon.

Maryann
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Pork Medalions with Five-Spice Powder by cjs (As an old friend use...)
Quote:

As an old friend used to say - you had me at Five-Spice! sounds good.

LOL! I love five spice too. As a matter of fact, last night I made the Five Spice Tilapia w/hot orange sauce from the Feb 09 issue only I made it with chicken. What a delicious sauce for chicken dusted with five spice.