Smoking Briskets
  Re: (...)
I'm wanting to smoke three briskets - each ~5-6 lbs. at the same time. One brisket usually takes ~7 hours, but I'm not sure how much more time to allow for doing three at once. I have a Kenmore gas smoker - if that makes a difference.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated - thanks.

I posted the above on another forum, but wondered if anyone here also would have some time ideas for me??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Smoking Briskets by cjs (I'm wanting to smoke...)
Sharon says that it shouldn't take any longer, but it would be a good idea to put a temperature probe in each one.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
When I smoke I don't worry about time--only temp. I do smoke whole briskets (10-13 lbs with all the fat) at 225, so moisture is not a problem. I smoke for about 4 hrs and finish in a 225 degree oven overnite. I think the trimmed briskets you use would be fine at your usual time and it would't hurt a thing to leave in the oven without smoke for 2 more hours, at 225--after slicing, you will cut it with a fork!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
We frequently do 2 slabs of bacon at a time in the smoker. The best investment we've made is a dual probe thermometer (with a remote) so that we can track the internal temp of both slabs. We're considering another one in case we have a 3rd slab and so that we can just have a more accurate reading on the internal temp of the smoker.

We did a huge slab of brisket a while back, boy that was good.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Smoking Briskets by Harborwitch (We frequently do 2 s...)
Okay, Bill, I have not seen a brisket that size here yet...but looking!

I got a new smoker pan for my grill...add wood, when it lights, turn off gas and regulate with wood/water/gas as needed! It is great! We have smoked chicken, ribs, and a pork sirloin recently and LOVE IT! William is addicted...LOL!

We have only hickory to smoke with right now, but that is fine with me...I'm anxious to learn how to control the temps! It is so much FUN!!!!! I should say challenge! I'd tried the soaked wood chips on the grill, with marginal success, but when we tried to smoke something, we had less than satisfactory success.

After getting the smoker pan...everything is different! I have learned the gas is only to "light" the wood, and then to regulate if cooking for long term.
But we are loving it! It has made summer cooking so much more fun!!!!!!
I love the challenge of monitoring the temp and playing with the smoke...more to say and ask soon!

BTW, I smell smoking meat all the time now. Is that a problem?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Smoking Briskets by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, Bill, I have n...)
Any of those woods are good. Mine are whole briskets--not available everywhere. If you have a 5-6 lb trimmed brisket (flat cut)--smoke it for 4 hrs at 225--then continue in the oven for another 2-4 hrs at 225. Before starting rub it with salt, black pepper, paprika, and granualated garlic--let it sit for an hour and begin cooking. Slice across the grain. If you are lucky enough to get a whole one pull the rest (fatty part--point cut) like pork and make BBQ beef sandwiches with sauce--Tx BBQ sauce.
  Re: Re: Smoking Briskets by Old Bay (Any of those woods a...)
Daphne, if you can, when you buy a brisket find a butcher that will leave at least a 1/2" thick layer of fat, so the brisket stays moist while smoking.

Bill, I'll have time constraints because it's for the pre-4th party and I'll have a set time I want it done (give or take). I've never finished a brisket in the oven, just smoked it entirely in the smoker. That may be a way to think about, tho.

Thanks everyone, for ideas.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoking Briskets by cjs (Daphne, if you can, ...)
Jean, I should have known you have time constrants in a professional situation. I'm a family cook--mine is leisure, yours is work. I do think the temp is most important so could you start a little early and cook a little longer? The oven may be useful at 225 right up to serving.
  Re: Re: Smoking Briskets by Old Bay (Jean, I should have ...)
I'm sure thinking of going the oven finishing way, Bill. Thanks for the idea.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Smoking Briskets by Old Bay (Jean, I should have ...)
Bill do you wrap yours in foil for the oven finishing??? That's what we did - and cooked them to a temp that we figured would mean charcoal. . . but OMG juicy succulent meat.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!