REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce
  Re: (...)
Issue 73, February 2009

The full name is Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce w/Eggplant, Zucchini and Cilantro Gremolata. What a mouthful!

Made this last night as a lot of you know after my question about the cornstarch in meatballs. I chickened out and used a little panko as a binder. The recipe turned out great! Both the meatballs and sauce were very flavorful with all the spices (allspice, cumin, coriander, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, thyme). I substituted ground beef for the ground pork & turkey (which was allowed!). The only other changes I made were to leave out the eggplant (just had some) and added extra zucchini. The gremolata went very well with the dish. A note - the recipe yields 24 meatballs. I think I got 15 out it and they were not large meatballs. Twenty-four meatballs is a little optimistic.

Also made the suggested side - Lemon Pastina. I used orzo. That was excellent as well. This side dish will be made with other entrees. Very fresh and light.

Husband loved it. We're having the leftovers tonight. Because I don't usually give a 10 to anything, I'm giving this a 9. Also this is probably not a dish you want to make on a weeknight walking in the door at 6:00 and still having kids' homework to deal with. A lot of ingredients are involved.
  Re: REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce by Trixxee (Issue 73, February 2...)
Gotta make this, but I'll try the cornstarch, little MS cluck, cluck, cluck...
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce by cjs (Gotta make this, but...)
Quote:

Gotta make this, but I'll try the cornstarch, little MS cluck, cluck, cluck...

Now that's just mean!

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce by BarbaraS ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
...but it's lovingly mean, Barbara -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce by cjs (...but it's lovingly...)
Oh please! I've called myself worse when it comes to cooking.
  Re: Re: REVIEW: Spiced Meatballs in Fragrant Tomato Sauce by Trixxee (Oh please! I've cal...)
I really like that spice combination. Thanks for the review.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.