Vicci---would you share a recipe
  Re: (...)
for your white bean salad? I make one from Giada on the food network that is basically a romaine salad with tuna and white beans. Is that how you do yours?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Vicci---would you share a recipe by Mare749 (for your white bean ...)
Hi Maryann,

Well, I have made 2 similar white bean salads. The one which I was going to make tonight is really simple, but I don't have a recipe:

Mix balsamic vinegar and olive oil (2:1), s & p in a small bowl (when available, I add chopped fresh oregano or rosemary).

Brush on thick (about 3/4") slices of sweet onion and halved Roma tomatoes. Grill, brushing on more dressing and turning as needed.

Drain and rinse cannellini beans; mix in bowl with baby spinach leaves. Drizzle with some of the dressing. When onions and tomatoes are done, cut into pieces and add to the bowl. Toss to mix, adding more s & p as desired.

Sorry that I don't have a recipe with "real" measurements. I do have another, and tomorrow I will dig it out of The Binder and post it for you. I believe that it has fresh thyme in it.

I didn't make the salad tonight, though, since Jack pointedly reminded me that he "had" to have salad for lunch (I made grilled chicken salads since my lettuce patch was getting unmanageably large). So no salad for dinner!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Vicci---would you share a recipe by foodfiend (Hi Maryann,[br][br]W...)
Vicci, thank you, that sounds delicious! I've copied your method and will try it tonight!

As for accurate measurements, I rarely need them except when baking.
Maryann

Re: Re: Vicci---would you share a recipe by Mare749 (Vicci, thank you, th...)
That sounds fabulous! Thanks.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Vicci---would you share a recipe by Lorraine (That sounds fabulous...)
I think cannellini bean and goodies are one of my favorite salads. You can do so much with them. I like the grilling of onion and tomato - good flavors.

Another version - the beans, roasted red bells, feta, onions, herbs and an oil, garlic and lemon vinaigrette

And, I just found this one that is special to me because it came from Chef Gil and Tracie made it for one of our parties in California - here it is with Tracie's notes included.

* Exported from MasterCook *

MEDITERANEAN BEAN SALAD - GIL

2 cans tuna in olive oil -- (6 ounces each) preferably imported, drained, oil reserved
1 can each -- (15 1/2 ounces) drained, rinsed: black beans, cannellini (white kidney) beans
1 bunch green onions -- trimmed, sliced
1 clove garlic -- minced
2 roasted red peppers -- cut into 1/4-inch strips
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 tsp. each: Dijon mustard -- salt
Freshly ground pepper
12 fresh basil leaves -- roughly torn, optional

1. Combine the tuna, beans, green onions, garlic, roasted red peppers and olives in a large bowl; set aside.

2. Combine 1/4 cup of reserved tuna oil (add more olive oil to make 1/4 cup, if necessary) into a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Add lemon juice and mustard; shake until thoroughly blended. Fold dressing into salad. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with basil leaves, if desired.

Notes: Bottled roasted red peppers are fine for this dish. It's worth spending the extra money for Italian or Spanish canned tuna; the flavor is superior to the domestic brands

Tracie: i made this last weekend at moms party and it was wonderful, i was unable to find the "seasoned tuna" or not sure what i was looking for and i purchased "star-kist sweet & spicy tuna" in a pouch, so we sub. that for it and it was great, we also had decided even though there wasn't any oil in pouch we would put salad together and then add olive oil and to our surprise we didn't need to add any and it was just wonderful, so i thank you so much for sharing this recipe and helping me to make something that so many people enjoyed. (tracie made this for one of the "last parties on the hill" in Weimar before we left.)

me - Gil is our man!!! May I add my thanks to Tracie's? Everyone did so enjoy this dish - it was all gone!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vicci---would you share a recipe by cjs (I think cannellini b...)
Thanks for the recipes Jean, both sound fantastic. I agree with the notes regarding using imported tuna in olive oil. It is pricey, but makes such an amazing difference in the taste in a dish like that.
Maryann

Re: Re: Vicci---would you share a recipe by cjs (I think cannellini b...)
Quote:

Gil is our man

He never gave me that recipe. Thanks, Jean!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Vicci---would you share a recipe by Lorraine ( [blockquote]Quote:[...)
Jean, that recipe looks wonderful! I'll have to look for the "special" canned tuna. And I am wondering, could I use fresh, grilled tuna? Flake it? I know that the fishy olive oil would not be available for the dressing, but I could use all olive oil. You've made this recipe, what do you think?

Okay, here is the other white bean salad recipe but has no name! I just hand-wrote the measurements (crossed out and revised) on a recipe for salmon and can't believe that I actually remembered where I filed it-- under "seafood"!

In a nonstick skillet over medium heat, drizzle
2 teaspoons olive oil

then saute until just softened, about 3 minutes, stirring frequently to prevent browning:

1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/3 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
1/3 cup finely chopped carrots
1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
2 large garlic cloves, minced

Remove from heat and add:

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoon white wine (or water)
2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
2 teaspoons minced fresh mint
2 teaspoons minced fresh basil
salt and pepper to taste

Gently stir in

9 ounces cannellini beans (one 15-ounce can, drained and rinsed)

Serve over

Shredded romaine lettuce

Additional note said to add chopped fresh tomato, but no mention of quantity.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Re: Vicci---would you share a recipe by foodfiend (Jean, that recipe lo...)
"grilled tuna?" - I sure would try it, Vicci.

This recipe sounds really tasty - and I love the combination of basil and mint (and cilantro in some dishes).
glad you found it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Vicci---would you share a recipe by cjs ("grilled tuna?" - I ...)
Sounds great! Thanks Vicci, another one copied and saved!
Maryann