Peas, Peas, Peas!
  Re: (...)
Okay, I need some help here. "The employee" decided he really didn't want to mess with the peas, so he picked them all Saturday. These are not the Sugar Ann's, but look very similar. As you can see, there are some that are too small to shell. Also, I have a couple of quarts shelled, I have to deal with. My questions are:

How do I freeze the shelled peas?

Can I use the small ones in stir fry like sugar snaps or snow peas?

Can I freeze the whole ones, and if so, how?

And do any of you have ideas other than cooking the shelled ones in butter and water and stir fry for the little whole ones?

Here's a picture for reference:

[Image: DSC01094.jpg]
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Peas, Peas, Peas! by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I need some he...)
I'm not positive about the other questions, but for sure you can use the little undeveloped ones in stir fry. I know you can freeze the shelled peas, I think you need to blanch a minute or two first. I will go look that up.
As for freezing the unshelled, not sure but will guess no, cuz what could you do with them, defrost and then shell them, could be yucky, then again, maybe not.
Will have to go haul out my Carla Emery book.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Peas, Peas, Peas! by farnfam (I'm not positive abo...)
I was thinking blanching was the way to go for the shelled ones. As for freezing the whole ones, I was referring to the little ones for stir fry. I'm guessing, just freeze as is, but want to be sure. Thanks!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Peas, Peas, Peas! by Gourmet_Mom (I was thinking blanc...)
for the little ones, I think I would still blanch, Daph.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Peas, Peas, Peas! by farnfam (for the little ones,...)
HMMMM? I guess you're probably right. I'll give it a go! Thanks again! They are very good, so I hate to waste them. I hate that I missed out on freezing some of the Sugar Ann's. William ate a lot of them, we had several batches here at the house, and I sent some home with DD over Mother's Day. I'm afraid "the employee" dug them up with the others. He figured it was too late in the year and getting too hot to keep them going. I want to plant them earlier next year.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Peas, Peas, Peas! by Gourmet_Mom (HMMMM? I guess you'...)
Funny, when we were growing peas, I was never able to get any in the house!! Between Luther (dog), Roy and/or me they were eaten in the garden.

I had to buy them one year to put up and I also blanched them for a minute and froze on trays. If I remember correctly, I did shelled and some in the shells (for stir fries) and both worked great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Peas, Peas, Peas! by cjs (Funny, when we were ...)
I've always shelled and blanched them. Those that didn't get eaten out of hand. Lucky you!
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.