Darn Kid!
  Re: (...)
Laurie called - while Billy was here, and told me about a cookbook she had heard about on a radio show with John Ash. The author, Mary Karlin was discussing her new book "Woodfired Cooking". I had it ordered before we hung up. It arrived Tuesday and last night we did the first dish from it. Stuffed Flank Steak w/ Red Peppers & Fontina Cheese

[Image: 3564803040_d6c13e6cf9.jpg]

They cut the flank steak a little differently in the Latin markets - posed a small challenge! A short fat roast.
[Image: 3564803826_6bd5fb0290.jpg]

But it was still excellent - just cooked a bit faster than we planned.

[Image: 3564804238_71eb3cefe2.jpg]

Some of the cheese oooozed out. Lessons learned: only cook to 125, and cut the cheese into thicker slices - oh, and not quite so much of the gremolata stuffing. [Image: 3563988025_9754476f45.jpg]

Served with creamy orzo with romano and ricotta cheese.

This cookbook is a winner - and has inspired my next project - I've got all the stuff for the potter's wheel, and the kiln (both "gifts") arrives sometime soon. I'm going to make cloches, casseroles, platters, etc., and pots for the garden. Wheeeeeee

Oh, Billy - you and Bob win! Photography, food, pottery are all fine. NO chickens.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Darn Kid! by Harborwitch (Laurie called - whil...)
I've heard of the book, Sharon, I may have to get it. The roast looks great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Darn Kid! by cjs (I've heard of the bo...)
The book has some wonderful recipes Jean. We'll be keeping this one front and center for a while.
  Re: Re: Darn Kid! by Harborwitch (The book has some wo...)
That looks great, Sharon. Does the filling help to keep the meat moist? When I make bracciole, the meat is fork tender, but that's because it's browned, then braised.

Put me on the pre-order list for a cloche, please! I must have missed something while away. How did you acquire a kiln?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Darn Kid! by Mare749 (That looks great, Sh...)
Good friends of ours have had a kiln sitting around their place for a couple years. They couldn't get rid of it - no one wanted it. Another friend found me a killer deal on a wheel so of course one thing led to another and the kiln will be delivered right after we get the hot tub hooked up & can get the electrician here.

Pottery and ceramics are something I've always been interested in (tried wood carving - but the chunk of wood my Dad got me cracked and he never bothered to get me a new one so I flopped that class). Bob and got a huge pile of the stuff I need and I'm so ready to get started.
  Re: Re: Darn Kid! by Harborwitch (Good friends of ours...)
I'm glad you decided against the chickens. You are a busy person anyway, but taking on so many additional jobs just seemed over the top. Remember, we're not spring chickens
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
Your steak looks wonderful, Sharon! And making your own pots-I barely have the time to wash mine, never mind make them! Good for you!!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: Darn Kid! by pjcooks (Your steak looks won...)
I am finding that I need more and more to keep my mind and hands busy. I have to keep learning - otherwise I might as well pack for a long long nap.
You never pack for a long, long nap. You always go unprepared, if you are lucky!! It's just "stable thinking".
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Darn Kid! by Old Bay (You never pack for a...)
Man I wish computers had scratch and sniff or lickabilty that looks looks fantastic!

I would like to formally order a serving platter now please