Honduras Earthquake - Labs are you okay?
  Re: (...)
Just heard a news report of a major earthquake centered in Honduras. Hoping Labs will check in today to let us know he's okay.
  Re: Honduras Earthquake - Labs are you okay? by HomeCulinarian (Just heard a news re...)
Guess I'd better turn the news on - hope we hear from him soon.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Honduras Earthquake - Labs are you okay? by cjs (Guess I'd better tur...)
Just saw a report--7.1 magnitude and just offshore--check in Labs!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Honduras Earthquake - Labs are you okay? by Old Bay (Just saw a report--7...)
Woof, woof, Labs we need to hear you're ok!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Honduras Earthquake - Labs are you okay? by farnfam ( Woof, woof, Labs we...)
Labs! Check in - please let us know you're ok!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Honduras Earthquake - Labs are you okay? by Harborwitch (Labs! Check in - pl...)
Fine, here, but my Internet went out for a bit. Thank you, all, for your concern.

Twice, during my time here, people have asked me, "Did you feel that earthquake, yesterday? What did you think?" At the time, even though I had been up and somewhere around town, I hadn't noticed a thing.

Last night, however, was another story. I woke up at 2:24AM, local time, and was definitely feeling something. At first, I thought it was just another rain storm with a lot of strong wind. Then I noticed that it wasn't raining, it wasn't windy, and it felt the same as when you're at the beach, being carried in to shore by an ocean wave.

Well, in fact, I WAS at the top of a wave, but it wasn't an ocean wave. It was a seismic wave.

The 7.1 earthquake was centered to the Northwest of the Bay Islands, so I imagine they sustained some damage, but not here, in La Ceiba. Farther West, in Cortés, there was some damage. In fact, a boy (13-15, depending upon which paper you read) was killed when his house collapsed onto him. Damage has also been reported in Belize.

During the quake, the power here, in La Ceiba, went out twice, but only for a few seconds. Shortly after the second outage, though, the Internet also went out. When I got up again, in the morning, the Internet was back on, but it went out, for a few minutes, as I was checking the websites of the various local papers for news about the quake.

Here are some of the news reports: Fox news, La Prensa and El Heraldo
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Honduras Earthquake - Labs are you okay? by labradors (Fine, here, but my I...)
Glad to hear you're okay, amigo
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Honduras Earthquake - Labs are you okay? by labradors (Fine, here, but my I...)
Glad to hear you are ok Rob. Was thinking of you this morning as we heard the news.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Honduras Earthquake - Labs are you okay? by esgunn (Glad to hear you are...)
Happy to hear that you're ok!
Bearhugs,
Marina
  Re: Honduras Earthquake - Labs are you okay? by HomeCulinarian (Just heard a news re...)
I'm a transplanted Missourian living in Southern California, and I dread the earthqakes more than anything, so when I hear about the big ones in particular, I take notice. There have been several lately in various places, and for those who might be interested in following such things, this is a great website:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/

Meanwhile, sure glad you're o.k, Labs!