Soup! Soup! Soup! Soup!
  Re: (...)
Here are a few interesting-sounding soups I'll bee trying within the next week or so. The first is from Plate Online, and the last three are from the Costa del Sol Tourist board (in a PDF file from the link that says "See guide"). Unfortunately, although the PDF file is absolutely beautiful, and LOADED with recipes, the quantities of many of the spices, etc. are not marked. Therefore, in my typing them for storing the individual recipes and posting them here, I have entered some reasonable quantities for some items, and left others as saying, "to taste."

ROASTED TOMATO SOUP AND GARLIC CUSTARD
Chef Brian Scheehser
Hunt Club, Sorrento Hotel - Seattle, Wash., USA

Yield: 8 servings
Menu Price: $5.00; Food Cost/Serving: 16%

White onion 1 each
Garlic, clove 1 each
Olive oil 1 TBS
Tomato paste 3 TBS
Red wine 4 Oz
Chicken stock 6 C
Roma tomatoes, roasted, charred 12 each
Russet potato, medium, peeled, quartered 1 each
Fresh rosemary sprig, small 1 each
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Roasted garlic custards 8 each
Garlic cloves, caramelized 16 each
Fresh chervil as needed
Instructions:
1. Caramelize onions and garlic in oil in a large pot. Stir in tomato paste and red wine.
2. Add stock, tomatoes, potato, rosemary and salt and pepper; simmer slowly until potato is fully cooked, about 45 minutes. Let soup cool slightly and blend, small portions at a time. (Be careful not to fill blender more than 1/2 full and pulse slowly before running blender on full speed. Blending hot liquids can be very dangerous.) Reserve.
3. Unmold a garlic custard in center of each serving bowl. Ladle soup around custard and garnish with caramelized garlic and chervil. Serve.

ROASTED GARLIC CUSTARDS
Chef Brian Scheehser
Hunt Club, Sorrento Hotel - Seattle, Wash., USA

Yield: 8 servings
Menu Price: N/A; Food Cost/Serving: N/A

Eggs 2 each
Egg yolks 4 each
Heavy cream 2 C
Roasted garlic purée 1/4 C
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Instructions:
1. Whisk together all ingredients.
2. Pour custard in demitasse cups 3/4 full. Place cups in a water bath and cover with plastic wrap.
3. Bake in a 300 degree F oven until custard appears firm with a shake of the pan, about 30 minutes. Reserve to cool at least 30 minutes before unmolding.

----------

Ajoblanco (Cold White Garlic Soup)

Ingredients:
  • 7 Oz Almonds
  • 2 Cloves Garlic
  • Salt
  • 1 Cup Olive oil
  • Water
  • Vinegar to taste
  • Muscatel grapes, without seeds or skins (optional)
Instructions:
  1. Remove the skins from the almonds by soaking them for several hours or by scalding them in boiling water.
  2. In a mortar and pestle, mash together the almonds, garlic and a dash of salt.
  3. Add the olive oil as you slowly grind and stir without pausing, until everything is well mixed and forms a white paste. (20 Minutes or a little more.)
  4. At serving time, add cool water, being careful that the ingredients do not separate. Season with vinegar and salt to taste.
  5. Garnish with the grapes.
----------

Sopa Cachorreña

Ingredients:
  • 3/4 Cup Garlic cloves
  • Cumin to taste
  • Black peppercorns, to taste
  • 2 Sour Oranges (e.g. Seville), peel reserved, juiced
  • Paprika, to taste
  • 1 Lb Day-old bread, soaked in water
  • 1 Cup Olive oil
  • Water
  • Salt, to taste
Instructions:
  1. In a mortar and pestle (or blender or chopper), mash together the garlic, cumin and peppercorns.
  2. Soak some of the bread in water.
  3. Put the orange peels into a small saucepan with just enough water to cover them, then boil the peels to soften them.
  4. Mash one of the orange peels into the garlic mixture. Discard the other peel, but reserve the water
  5. Add paprika and soaked bread. slowly, with the same slow movements as when making mayonnaise, add the olive oil a little at a time, making a light cream, then strain it through a sieve.
  6. Add the mixture into the saucepan with the water used to boil the orange peels. Bring to a boil.
  7. Just prior to serving, add the orange juice and the bread cubes.
----------

Porra Antequerana

Ingredients:
  • 2 Lb Tomatoes, peeled and seeded
  • 2 Bell peppers, cored
  • 2 Cloves, Garlic
  • Pinch Salt
  • Day-old bread, crumbled (soaked, if desired)
  • Olive oil
  • Vinegar
  • 2 Eggs, hard boiled and sliced
  • 2 Oz. Cooked ham, sliced
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
Instructions:
  1. Mash the tomatoes, peppers, garlic, salt and bread in a wooden bowl.
  2. While beating thoroughly, but being careful to prevent curdling, gradually add the olive oil and vinegar.
  3. Season to taste. Serve garnished with slices of hard-boiled egg, ham and tomato.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Soup! Soup! Soup! Soup! by labradors (Here are a few inter...)
Garlic custard, oh my! These recipes all sound very tasty to me. Let us know how they turn out, labs.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Soup! Soup! Soup! Soup! by Mare749 (Garlic custard, oh m...)
That site sure has some wonderful looking dishes - recipes and presentation.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Soup! Soup! Soup! Soup! by cjs (That site sure has s...)
Quote:

That site sure has some wonderful looking dishes - recipes and presentation.

Doesn't it, though! That's a tourist board where they've put some real work into their literature. In fact, in addition to the guide I mentioned, they have another PDF guide of "culinary tours" that gives suggested routes of travel, highlights of things to see, and food suggestions (including recipes - most of them already in the other guide) for each stop along the way. Even if one were not even interested in the recipes, one could learn a lot about setting up something VERY attractive for generating interest in travel to one's country.

I'll be sure to return to this thread to post reviews of those soups once I've made them over the next week or two.

Also, if any of you have some really special soups that haven't already been discussed here (i.e. not the Lasagna Soup, et al), please let me know about them and post some recipes. A friend of a friend recently started up a restaurant, and our mutual friend suggested he try some of my pizzas and soups. I'd like to make a number of different things for him to try - not only to have more of a chance of his choosing them, but maybe also for him to be able to choose "regulars" and "specials." This is NOT a fancy, highfalutin kind of place, but a casual place, in a laid-back, Caribbean town with a much lower economy than the U.S., so I don't want to go overboard on presentation (or ostentation) or cost, but something different or unusual could still be interesting.

Here's an example of something that would be wonderful to make here, but may not really go over that well as a soup (although I'm still debating it, and shall ask the restaurant owner what he thinks):

Duling-Kurtz House's Mango Soup

Essence Ingredients:
  • 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Water
  • 2 Whole Cloves
  • 1 Cinnamon stick
  • 1 Bay leaf
  • 3 Tbsp Sugar
Essence Instructions:
  1. Place all ingredients into a small saucepan, boil until reduced to 1/3 Cup, then strain.
Soup Ingredients:
  • 4 Ripe mangoes, peeled and seeded
  • 3 Tbsp Grand Marnier
  • 1 Pint Heavy cream
  • 6 Tbsp Essence
  • 2 Tbsp honey or sugar (or to taste)
Soup Instructions:
  1. Place the mango into a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
  2. Add liquids and process until smooth.
  3. Taste for sweetness and add honey or sugar to taste, if necessary.
  Re: Re: Soup! Soup! Soup! Soup! by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Been out of town a couple of times, so haven't gotten to all of the above soups, yet, but made the Ajoblanco (Cold White Garlic Soup) tonight, and it was fabulous! It does SOUND a little unusual, and the Spaniards definitely like olive oil (a whole cup of it in this recipe), but the flavours were just wonderful, right down to seasoning the soup, in the bowl, with white vinegar and salt, and garnishing it with grapes (although I didn't have Muscatel grapes, so I used red seedless, instead).

Without a doubt, I shall make this one again.
  Re: Re: Soup! Soup! Soup! Soup! by labradors (Been out of town a c...)
Conan had it wrong..it would be MyTwitFace