Lost Recipes
  Re: (...)
I am having so much fun inputting recipes (to my new computer) I haven't seen in years. I'll try not to bore you with too many, but this one is particularly good, easy and great for summer parties.

Spiced Shrimp and Avocado Toasts

16 canapes

16 large shrimp (about 1/2 lb), peeled, deveined, and patted dry
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp chili powder; more to taste
2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
2 small ripe avocados (about 12 oz. total)
1 Tbs fresh lime juice; more for sprinkling
3 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro, plus 16 whole leaves for garnish
1 recipe toast points (to follow)

Season the shrimp with 1/4 tsp salt, a few grinds of pepper, and 1 tsp chili powder. Set a heavy 10 inch skillet over medium high heat for 1 minute. Add the oil and shrimp and saute, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are opaque and firm to the touch, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board.

Pit the avocados and scoop the flesh into a small bowl. Add 1 Tbs lime juice, the chopped cilantro and a pinch of chili powder. Mash with a fork until relatively smooth and season with a heaping 1/2 tsp salt and a few grinds of pepper. Slice the shrimp in half lengthwise.

To assemble, spread the mashed avocado over the toasts and slice each toast into four even rectangles. Top each with two halved pieces of shrimp and a cilantro leaf, sprinkle with the lime juice and salt, and serve. (The rectangles can be cut into squares for even smaller bites.)

Toast Points

4 slices (about 4 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches) country white bread (such as Pepperidge Farms)
1 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Adjust an oven rack to 6 inches from the broiler and turn the broiler on to high. Set the bread on a baking sheet, brush one side with the melted butter and season with salt and pepper. Toast the bread until it's golden brown and crisp on top, about 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until golden, about 1 minute. While the bread is still hot, slice off the edges. Let cool slightly. Spread with your choice of toppings before cutting into squares or triangles.

From Fine Cooking
Shannon
  Re: Lost Recipes by Dismc (I am having so much ...)
Doesn't that sound good! Thanks! I'll save myself the energy of copying this one now and wait to see what else you find...that way I can just copy the whole thread!

BTW, have fun! I remember doing the same thing when I got my MC program. It was so much fun!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (Doesn't that sound g...)
"I'll try not to bore you with too many," excuse me???? Bore me, bore me, bore us!!

This sounds good and it reminds of a shrimp and avocado dish I used to make in the 70s & 80s...now you have me going.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by cjs ("I'll try not to bor...)
I think it would be impossible to bore us when you're posting recipes Shannon. I even check out the ones I KNOW I won't like...like salmon.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Lost Recipes by Dismc (I am having so much ...)
Here's one of my husband's favs. I used to serve as a first course for all my summer get togethers. So easy and sure does sound good right now with all this heat.

Cold Tomato Soup

3 cups tomato juice
2 Tb tomato paste
4 green onions, minced
pinch of thyme
1/2 tsp curry powder, toasted
salt to taste
freshly ground pepper
grated rind of 1/2 lemon
sugar
1 cup sour cream
fresh parsley for garnish

Mix all ingredients except sour cream and parsley, add sugar to taste. (I mix in blender.) Chill. Before serving blend in the sour cream and sprinkle each portion with parsley. Fry some croutons in butter or olive oil and garlic beforehand to garnish the soup.

Serves 4

Be sure to toast the curry powder as it makes a big difference.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by Dismc (Here's one of my hus...)
And here's my last one for today. I thought I'd lost this recipe so am very excited to come across it in this old pile. Not for those of you who don't like tarragon, but if you're like me, I love it with seafood. I guess that's why I loved Bill's Clam Chowder recipe so much.

Tarragon Shrimp

2 lbs fresh shrimp or 2 lbs frozen shrimp, thawed (large)
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
2 Tbs finely chopped shallots
1 Tbs finely chopped garlic
1 Tbs finely chopped fresh tarragon or 1 tsp dried
freshly ground black pepper
kosher salt
3 Tbs finely chopped parsley mixed with 1 Tbs chopped fresh tarragon

Watercress for garnish

Shell shrimp, leaving tails on. Devein and pat dry. In an ovenproof shallow dish large enough to hold the shrimp in one layer and attractive enough to go to the table melt the butter. Do not brown. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Add olive oil, lemon juice, shallots, garlic, tarragon and pepper. Toss shrimp to coat on all sides in this mixture, then arrange in a single layer and sprinkle with salt. Broil for 5 minutes 4 inches from flame, basting with pan juices several times. Turn, sprinkle with more salt and broil until slightly browned, about 4 or 5 minutes. Sprinkle with mixed parsley and tarragon.

Garnish with watercress and serve with rice pilaf.
Shannon
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by Dismc (And here's my last o...)
This is very similar to how I make my scampi and a recipe for shrimp I got from Jean a while back. I like tarragon...my pine nut dressing has tarragon, so I have it on hand all the time.

The last time I drove over to get shrimp, I made the mistake of not getting the 5 for 25 deal. I won't make that mistake again. It looks like I'll be making a run over there soon....this is on the list! Thanks!

I like the cold soup recipe, also! Keep'em coming!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (This is very similar...)
Daphne, I'd love your pine nut dressing recipe as I'm such a tarragon fan. Thanks
Shannon
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by Dismc (Daphne, I'd love you...)
Gladly! I've posted it here and there on the forum, but I'll be glad to post it again. I use this on spinach, but it would be good on any tender green.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Spinach Salad With Pine Nut Dressing

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Sides and Sauces

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1/3 cup pine nuts (pignolia) -- or slivered almonds
3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil -- or salad oil
1 1/4 tablespoons wine vinegar
1/16 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon, or fresh in season
3/4 pound fresh spinach -- washed and stems removed

Spread pine nuts in a shallow baking pan and toast in a 350 degree oven, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 5-8 minutes; let cool.

In a bowl, combine pine nuts, oil, vinegar, nutmeg, lemon peel, and tarragon. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or until the next day.

To serve, select large leaves from the spinach and use to line 8 salad plates. (I skip this step.)

Cut remaining leaves into thin slivers; mound on plates. (I skip this step also. I just serve a bowl of spinach with the dressing on the side. But it would be a nice presentation. This is one of the only parts of the original recipe that has stayed the I haven't changed. I keep thinking I may want to do it this way for a pretty presentation for a dinner party.)

Stir dressing to blend then drizzle over salads.

Season to taste with salt.

Description:
"Tossed with toasted pine nuts and a hint of lemon, fresh spinach takes on a Mediterranean flavor. This is my favorite salad!"

NOTES: Being such a big fan, you could probably increase the tarragon (I do). I also use the zest of a whole lemon and add the juice from at least half my lemon to the dressing. As far as the wine vinegar, I've used red and white, but hope to try out my new bottle of champagne vinegar next time. (I bet a tarragon flavored vinegar would be good also.) But the BIG STAR in this is the pine nuts. I usually increase this also. I LOVE pine nuts! To be honest, I really don't measure much any more...except for the OO and vinegar...LOL! BTW, this makes a small amount of dressing, but it goes a long way. It will also hold a couple days in the fridge. Just set it out about half an hour before service to come to room temp.

I didn't realize I had played with this one so much until I went to explain my changes! OH...AND...Jean AND my children will tell you that I am NOTORIOUS for burning my pine nuts! I have learned that I do better to put a small skillet on the stove top on low and toast them that way....even then I may burn them, so this is not fool proof...LOL! You would think I'd smell the dang things!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Lost Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (Gladly! I've posted...)
Looks great. Thanks. I'm also guilty of burning anything I'm trying to toast on the stovetop. I blame multitasking. Was a real problem when I was personal cheffing and would have 4 or 5 dishes going at the same time. I learned, and always brought extra.
Shannon