ISO - Chocolate Cake Recipe
  Re: (...)
Ok my MIL used to make a chocolate cake that had, brace yourselves, mashed potatoes. I don't think they were instant either. This would be a very old recipe as I think she got it from her mom.

So I figured I'd check with you all since I know a lot of you have old family recipes
  Re: ISO - Chocolate Cake Recipe by DFen911 (Ok my MIL used to ma...)
I remember cakes like that...well, from my Grandmother, I'll look.

Denise, you've really had some challenges this week, huh?

Here's one to look over - looks really good (w/out the raisins ) - will have to try this.

Velvet Mashed Potato Chocolate Cake Recipe

"This is an old recipe. It is extremely moist because of the mashed potatoes and raisins, and the texture is velvety smooth. The frosting with its touch of citrus is quite perfect with this cake."
SERVES 16 -20

CAKE
2 medium potatoes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup butter
2 cups granulated sugar
4 eggs, separated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup raisins
1 cup finely chopped pecans
FROSTING
1/2 cup butter
3/4 teaspoon grated orange rind
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup milk

Peel the potatoes, cover with water, and boil until tender.about 25 minutes.

Mash thoroughly, do not add milk or seasonings.
Measure out 1 cup, cover to keep warm, set aside.
Preheat the oven to 300°F.

Sift together the flour, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cocoa.

In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter and granulated sugar for 3 minutes.

Add the egg yolks and beat 1 minute longer.
Stir the vanilla into the buttermilk, then add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternating with the buttermilk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.

With the beater running, add the 1 cup of potatoes, raisins, and nuts, combine lightly, not over beating.
Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form, and by hand fold into the cake batter just until blended.

Pour the batter into a greased and floured 10-inch tube pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until the cake springs back when touched lightly with your finger.

Cool completely in pan on wire rack while you prepare the frosting.

To prepare the FROSTING:.
In a large mixer bowl, cream the butter, orange rind, cinnamon, salt, and cocoa.

Add the confectioners' sugar alternately with the lemon juice and milk until the mixture is creamy and smooth, beating well after each addition.

Remove the cooled cake from the pan and spread the frosting on the top and sides of the cake.

Cover tightly until ready to serve.

NOTE** If the weather is hot, refrigerate the cake so that the frosting will not become overly soft. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: ISO - Chocolate Cake Recipe by cjs (I remember cakes lik...)
I have a few old cookbooks that might have something like that, Denise. Will get back to you.

Edited to add:
This is all I could find, Denise. It was on allrecipes.com.
Kind of surprising there aren't more.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Potato Chocolate Cake

* 1 cup margarine
* 2 cups white sugar
* 4 eggs
* 2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 1 cup prepared instant mashed potatoes
* 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 3/4 cup buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Stir in the melted chocolate, vanilla and mashed potatoes. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with the buttermilk, mixing just until incorporated.
3. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool.

Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: ISO - Chocolate Cake Recipe by Mare749 (I have a few old coo...)
I've got a REALLY old one. I'll check and get back with you.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.