August Birthday Dinner Review Menu
  Re: (...)
Ok Jean asked that I put up a new thread for the August Dinner Party so here you are

For Grilled Romaine Salad –

I use the packed of Hearts of romaine which is usually 3 heads.

1 Pkg – Hearts of Romaine
1 large red onion cut in 4 thick slices
2 large firm red tomatoes cut in half
½ pound asparagus

Slice each head in half lengthwise. Drizzle with olive oil and fresh cracked pepper. Do the same for all the veggies.

Preheat grill to med high heat. Place onions on grill and grill to just tender. The tomatoes grill for just a few minutes to get sear marks. Asparagus grill till tender. Once all veggies come off turn heat to high or add a few more coals. (I always keep about 10 to the side already hot in the chimney) Take the lettuce and place it cut side down for about 1-2 minutes max. You just want a fast char. Place all veggies onto a cookie sheet and put into the fridge while you work on the other menu items.

For a dressing I just use some fresh lemon juice and a bit of olive oil.

T-Bone steaks. All I do for mine is S & P and grill to whatever doneness you like. I’m a medium rare gal 

Red Pepper Chutney (You can do this before the salad or even in your oven a day or two before)

3 red bell peppers
2 green onions
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1/8 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/8 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/8 teaspoon coriander seeds
1 Tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
1 Tablespoon sherry wine vinegar
Salt, freshly ground black pepper, and cayenne

Coat the red peppers and green onions lightly with the olive oil and place over glowing red coals on a charcoal grill, turning frequently. The green onions should be removed as soon as they turn bright green and the outer leaves are barely blackened. The skin on the peppers should blacken thoroughly and blister.

After all sides have been charred, remove the peppers from the grill and place them in a medium mixing bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a plate for 10 minutes, then remove the skin and seeds from the peppers. Cut the grilled green onions into 1-inch lengths and chop the peppers and onions roughly.

Place a small dry saute pan or skillet over medium heat (I do this on my grill as well). Add the cumin, coriander, and caraway, and toast until the spices begin to give off a nutty aroma, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the pan from heat and let the spices cool. Transfer the mixture to a miniature food processor or coffee grinder and grind it into a fine powder; this also may be done by hand with a mortar and pestle. Add to the pepper-onion mixture. Stir in the cilantro, vinegar, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Check the chutney for seasoning and adjust if necessary.

Grilled corn on the cob, I’m not a big leave the husk on and cook em. So I shuck them and put a little olive oil, salt and pepper and a tad of red chili powder on and then grill them.

Dutch Oven Peach Cobbler. (Also called dump cake)

This is a recipe that does require a cast iron dutch oven. If you need to buy one this is a great excuse!

1 lg. can sliced peaches
1 pkg. white or yellow cake mix
1/4 lb. butter (1 stick)

Utensils: Dutch Oven: Prepare charcoal (35 pieces) for Dutch Oven baking.

1. Rub the inside of the Dutch oven with cooking oil.
2. Place 8 pieces of charcoal under the oven and 20 pieces on top.
3. When the oven is hot, pour peaches and juice into the oven.
4. Add the dry cake mix on top of the peaches.
5. Cut the butter into pats (small chunks) and place on top of the cake mix.
6. Dust everything with cinnamon (lightly).
7. Put the lid back on the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
8. Check cake with a clean straw or knife. Do this by sticking the straw into the cake mix. If the straw comes out clean, the cake is done. If not, add charcoal to the oven and bake 10 more minutes. Check again.
Note: A double batch can be baked in a 14 inch Dutch oven. 2 cans of peaches makes a juicier cobbler.
  Re: August Birthday Dinner Review Menu by DFen911 (Ok Jean asked that I...)
Thanks Denise - Shall we have the review date August 17th?

And Sharon, how about your b'day menu???? You could take the last two weeks in August?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: August Dinner Menu by cjs (Thanks Denise - Shal...)
Sounds good Denise. I've been craving cobbler lately. I never did do the one with the pie crust, so this will be a good. The only thing is, it just SCREAMS ice cream...like cream cheese ice cream....MMMMMMMM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: August Dinner Menu by Gourmet_Mom (Sounds good Denise. ...)
August 17th works good for me
  Re: Re: August Dinner Menu by DFen911 (August 17th works go...)
I'm in, that sounds like a really tasty menu. Might not make the cobbler (Ron doesn't really like cooked peaches and I'm not eating desserts) but the rest sounds perfect!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: August Dinner Menu by Mare749 (I'm in, that sounds ...)
August 17th is coming up - thought I'd bring this up to the top.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: August Dinner Menu by cjs (August 17th is comin...)
Well the only thing we missed out on was the corn. Our grocery store just did not have a good supply of it. So we had grilled garlic bread instead.

The chutney I made the day before because my dad hates bell peppers. My brother in law didn't want it on his steak and put it as a spread on his garlic bread instead. Lol who knew?

Bless my mom's heart she took pictures...till she realized she didn't have her card in her camera and all the pictures were going to her camera's internal memory.

My peach cobbler I had to cook a bit longer because I used fresh peaches. I should have cooked them a bit on the stove first the day before cooking them in them in the dutch oven. The only forgiving grace was they were fresh peaches so the family loved the flavor.

I love having my bday in August because it always means BBQ which I absolutly adore!
  Re: Re: August Dinner Menu by DFen911 (Well the only thing ...)
"I love having my bday in August because it always means BBQ which I absolutly adore!" - I feel the same way about my b'day, Denise. At the end of May, I always have a fruit platter included - the fruit is always FINALLY good!!
www.achefsjourney.com