$$$$$ Saving Tip
  Re: (...)
...and if I'm repeating myself, I apologize.

For those of us who like spinach, I buy the large 40oz. bags of fresh spinach from Costco, blanch it, and freeze in 10 oz. pkgs. Cost to me $1.00 per pkg. I can't remember how much 10 oz. of commercial frozen spinach is, but I know it's a heck of a lot more than that. And there is no freezer burn on it when you get the pkg. home.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: $$$$$ Saving Tip by cjs (...and if I'm repeat...)
Now that's a cool idea! I'm on my way to the store, so I'm gonna check the price of spinch. If your right, I'm gonna put spinach on the next Sam's list. Thanks!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: $$$$$ Saving Tip by Gourmet_Mom (Now that's a cool id...)
How long do you blanch it for? And you're getting regular spinach not the baby spinach?
  Re: $$$$$ Saving Tip by cjs (...and if I'm repeat...)
That is a good idea! It always miffs me when I get chopped frozen spinach and its all freezer burned. I will have to consider doing my own.
"There is one thing more exasperating than a wife who can cook and won't and that's a wife who can't cook and will." ~Robert Frost (1847-1963)

Karen (iCook)
  Re: Re: $$$$$ Saving Tip by iCook (That is a good idea!...)
Great idea--we love spinach in this house!!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: $$$$$ Saving Tip by Old Bay (Great idea--we love ...)
I blanch it for 2 min. and we jusst get regular spinach, not baby.

(and oh good, I'm not repeating myself...maybe )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: $$$$$ Saving Tip by cjs (I blanch it for 2 mi...)
OY, I almost forgot. I needed spinach for lasagna, and finally checked the price. Mine is 99 cents for 10 oz. of Pictsweet. I haven't checked the price of bulk fresh yet, though. There IS the fact that I froze it fresh still to consider, too. I'm not done with this yet!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: $$$$$ Saving Tip by Gourmet_Mom (OY, I almost forgot....)
Lol so simple and yet BRILLANT!! I'm more mad that I didn't think of it earlier. Thank you Jean
  Re: Re: $$$$$ Saving Tip by DFen911 (Lol so simple and ye...)
Silly question - does 10 oz of fresh leaves equal 10 oz of blanched leaves? I am cleaning out my garden and I have a huge amount of New Zealand spinach I am going to try freezing.

Also, how long did you blanch for?
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Freezing Spinach - Jean by esgunn (Silly question - doe...)
Erin, I didn't weigh it until it was cooked, so I don't know. Good question and I hope you'll let us know.
www.achefsjourney.com