Question about freezing ginger
  Re: (...)
Did someone post this not too long ago? I seem to remember someone saying that they peel ginger, slice it into coins and freeze it, but I want to make sure before I do this.
What do you put the ginger in, baggies or a freezer container?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Question about freezing ginger by Mare749 (Did someone post thi...)
It wasn't me and I'm only posting because if you don't want to freeze, you can submerge unpeeled ginger fingers (or whatever they are called in sherry and it keeps for months and months. I've never noticed a flavor from the sherry either as I use the ginger.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question about freezing ginger by cjs (It wasn't me and I'm...)
Thanks Jean, but does the whole piece have to be submerged? It's rather large.
Maryann

Re: Re: Question about freezing ginger by Mare749 (Thanks Jean, but doe...)

On Ginger I have just thrown the whole thing in the freezer and

then grated it whole as needed while still frozen.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: Question about freezing ginger by mjkcooking ([br]On Ginger I hav...)
yes, submerged, but I just cut it in pieces.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Question about freezing ginger by mjkcooking ([br]On Ginger I hav...)
I break or cut off the fingers in about 1-inch pieces and vacuum pack them individually. I usually don't peel them first and when I grate them the peel just seems to fold back or is grated into such small pieces you don't notice. I microplane them while still frozen, works like a charm.
Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy
  Re: Re: Question about freezing ginger by bjcotton (I break or cut off t...)
When I was in the States, I tried freezing ginger, but it seemed to turn into rubber. Down here, ginger is so plentiful and inexpensive that I just buy it as I need it. Also, the supermarkets just have it in big bins and sell it by weight, so I can just break off whatever-sized piece I need. I never used so much fresh ginger until I moved here! Now, I even make my own ginger ale.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Question about freezing ginger by labradors (When I was in the St...)
Thanks everyone. I decided to try Jean's method and cut it up and put it in a big jar with sherry. Next time I'll try freezing it as that sounds like a good idea as well. I seem to be using it more and more all the time in so many things that I cook.

Labs, I'll bet that ginger ale is really tasty.
Maryann

Re: Re: Question about freezing ginger by Mare749 (Thanks everyone. I ...)
Quote:

Labs, I'll bet that ginger ale is really tasty.

Indeed.

Since it's been a while since our last discussion of this, the file has expired from ImageShack, here's a new posting of the picture of the ginger bin at the supermarket:

[Image: gingera.jpg]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?