A Couple Reviews
  Re: (...)
The first one, Smoky BBQ'd Chicken is excellent!! This is kind of a ba$tardized version of one that was in a F&W magazine.

The marinade -
1 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup honey
4 garlic cloves -- minced
3 small shallots -- minced
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3/4 cup olive oil
Two 3 1/2-pound chickens (I made 1/2 and used on one half a chicken)

Marinated the chicken for 6 hours (can marinate up to 24 hours), removed and rubbed with this rub - (again I made 1/2 the recipe)

1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon smoked sweet paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon pure chile powder
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Let the chicken air dry in the fridge for 2 hours.
the chicken looked and smelled good enough to eat right now
[Image: Chixwrub.jpg]

Smoked the chicken for 3 hours -
[Image: smokedchicken.jpg]

then put on the grill with Kansas City BBQ sauce - oh my, this was one good chicken!!

Will have sandwiches with tomatoes and Mozz. tomorrow night.

I was disappointed in the Bacon & Tomato salad - another Food & Wine recipe - need some help here. The dressing had curry & Cajun spice mix in it and just didn't work at all with the salad. Anyody have some ideas for the dressing? It's just served on the side - although the marinade for the tomatoes and onion may just not need more.......hmmmmmm

But, the hit of this salad was my bacon!!! Oh my, it's so much better than the bacon I made using the local meat guy's pink salt mixture.
[Image: HomeBacon.jpg]

so pretty and so tasty! I'll have to work on the salad, it has a lot of good flavors!

Ooops, almost forgot the recipe for the salad!!

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bacon and Tomato Salad

3 pounds tomatoes -- cut into 1/2-inch pieces
12 basil leaves -- torn
1 small red onion -- coarsely chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Salt and freshly ground pepper
3/4 pound sliced bacon
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
3/4 teaspoon Cajun spice mix
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 small garlic clove -- minced
1 Dash hot sauce and crusty bread -- for serving

Preheat the oven to 450°. In a bowl, toss the tomatoes, basil, onion, olive oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes.

Set a wire rack on a baking sheet and arrange the bacon slices in a single layer on the rack. Bake the bacon in the upper third of the oven for 15 minutes, turning once, until golden and crisp-chewy. Let cool, then break into small pieces.

In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, curry powder, Cajun spice mix, lemon juice, garlic and hot sauce.

Sprinkle the bacon over the tomato salad and serve the mayonnaise and bread on the side.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: A Couple Reviews by cjs (The first one, Smoky...)
Arg! I would so much rather have this salad tonight Ok when I get back from San Fran I'm making this.
  Re: A Couple Reviews by cjs (The first one, Smoky...)
Jean the chicken looks and sounds wonderful. I'll have to make that when I get home.

The salad sounds good too - except curry and cajun????? I think I'd loose the curry with all the other stuff. I'll try that too when I get home (if Bob hasn't frozen all the tomatoes ) with some of the bacon he's smoking. Triple smoked over corn cobs and apple & maple chips. For the 3rd smoke he's going to spray it now and then with bourbon and apple juice. Yummmy
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: A Couple Reviews by Harborwitch (Jean the chicken loo...)
Wow, that chicken looks/sounds wonderful. Thanks for posting the pics and recipes. That's a keeper. Will be trying it soon!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."