What's for Dinner - Thursday, 8/20??
  Re: (...)
We're having mojo marinated pork tacos from C@H Grilling (#3?) - Erin and Karen (icook) have made these and were pretty positive about them.

What are you all up to?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 8/20?? by cjs (We're having mojo ma...)
I'm working with things from our garden... Tonight is a Squash side with warm leek vinaigrette (this is from The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook) and grilled salmon. Rice pilaf and a tomato salad, too.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 8/20?? by HomeCulinarian (I'm working with thi...)
The street vendors have finally gotten some mangosteens, so I'm going to experiment to see if I can create a mangosteen-and-Scotch-bonnet glaze for chicken without loosing too much of the delicate flavour of the mangosteens.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 8/20?? by labradors (The street vendors h...)
Jeanette, what all is in the warm leek vinaigrette? Sounds interesting and I have some squash getting large in the garden.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 8/20?? by cjs (Jeanette, what all i...)
I am going to be working out of freezer and garden for a while. Not sure what is on the menu for tonight. The kids are having leftover lasagna after gym.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 8/20?? by cjs (Jeanette, what all i...)
Quote:

Jeanette, what all is in the warm leek vinaigrette? Sounds interesting and I have some squash getting large in the garden.

I'll post the recipe after work and let you know if we liked it.
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 8/20?? by HomeCulinarian ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Thanks.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 8/20?? by cjs (We're having mojo ma...)
making a pasta sauce right now that'll cook a few more hours.
parmesan cheese added to buttered noodles and bread with salad and a vanilla cake with choco frosting will be dessert.
...of all the things to cherish most in 'this' life, it's the love of a little one...
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 8/20?? by WannaBeTVChef (making a pasta sauce...)
WOW! Dinner turned out wonderfully.

Chicken with Mangosteen and Scotch Bonnet Glaze

Ingredients:
  • 2 Chicken legs (thigh plus drumstick)
  • 10 Mangosteens (see notes)
  • 1 Scotch bonnet pepper, seeded
  • 1 Clove garlic, peeled
  • 1 Cup Water
  • 2 Tbsp Sugar
  • Dash of Salt
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. Put the chicken into a baking dish, skin side down, and bake for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, make the glaze.
  3. Place the mangosteen segments into a blender with the Scotch bonnet pepper and the garlic. Purée until smooth, then transfer the mixture to a saucepan.
  4. Stir in the water, sugar and salt.
  5. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer until the mixture becomes a thick glaze.
  6. After 10 minutes of baking, turn the chicken skin side up, put it back into the oven, and let it bake 10 minutes more.
  7. Brush some of the glaze onto the chicken, then bake the chicken for 2 minutes more. Repeat this step until all of the glaze has been used.
  8. Continue cooking the chicken until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F.
  9. Set the oven to broil, raise the chicken a little closer to the broiler, and let the glaze set and caramelise a little more.
Notes:
  • To select the best mangosteens, look at the BOTTOMS of them. The number of "ridges" you see will be the number of segments inside. One with more segments will be more likely to have more seedless segments.
  • To open a mangosteen, first be aware that the juiced from the purple outer "skin" will stain your clothing if you are not careful. Then, hold the yellow part DOWN, and in both hands, with your thumbs together in the centre of what is the bottom of the fruit. As you squeeze inward with both thumbs you will see and feel that part of the thick purple skin give way. Eventually, the skin will also break in half between your thumbs. Remove and discard the looser half, then gently twist the yellow part to separate it from the other half of the skin. This will leave you with the nice cluster of white segments attached to the yellow stem.
  • Except for Filipino jams and certain "health" juices, the white segments are the only parts of the mangosteen that are usually eaten. The purple "skin" and the seeds inside some of the segments (which have some purple within the white when a seed is present) are usually too bitter to eat. For this recipe, use segments that have no seeds and segments that have very tiny still tender seeds, but for segments that have larger, tougher seeds, only cut or scrape off the white part. The total volume of the segments of the ten mangosteens in this recipe will only be about 1/3 cup.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: What's for Dinner - Thursday, 8/20?? by labradors (WOW! Dinner turned ...)
Day two back at work....(Day one was TWO sit down, talk AT me meetings...one on the top bleachers in a HOT gymnasium). I had a full day...left at 7:15 for an 8 AM workshop...one of those tech things where the presenter teaches below the most tech challenged person in the room...I thought I'd loose it!!! Then 5 hours to get my classroom ready for open house at 4:30. I headed home (30 minute drive) at 7....WHEW!

William had 'taters almost done on the grill, salad ready in the fridge, and "special" 1 inch rib eyes (from our local butcher who sells high quality steaks) seasoned and ready to go on the grill! And then cleaned up! What a guy!!!!!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.