Cooking, But Eating out of the Freezer!!
  Re: (...)
I'm really trying to clean out the freezer of pkgs. of this and that and whatever, but also I've been doing some fun cooking and canning. The favorite so far is the oven roasted cherry tomatoes with all kinds of goodies and then I canned them in 1/2 pint jars (trying to keep things out of the freezer) - we've been playing with these as a topping for crackers and cream cheese (yummy), topping for pasta (yummy), and tomorrow I'll use some in a bread dough (fingers crossed).

Also, after the wonderful salmon catch Roy and his friend were lucky enough to get and I had the boat captain just field dress (I guess you'd call it) the fish and gave me all the heads, I found the most wonderful stock to make out of salmon! Most salmon stocks can be overpowering and fatty, but this method is just wonderful. So, if you ever find yourself with lots of salmon, you might give this one a try.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Strong Fish Stock

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 medium onions -- very thinly sliced
4 stalks celery -- very thinly sliced
2 medium carrots -- very thinly sliced
2 dried bay leaves
1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves and stems
6 sprigs fresh thyme -- (6 to 8)
2 tablespoons black peppercorns
1 large or 2 small (4 inches long or less) fish heads from cod or haddock -- (6 inches long or more) split lengthwise, gills removed, and rinsed clean of any blood (I used 3 medium salmon heads and skeletons )
2 1/2 pounds fish frames (bones) from sole -- flounder, bass, and/or halibut, cut into 2-inch pieces and rinsed clean of any blood (2 1/2 to 3)
1/4 cup dry white wine
About 2 quarts very hot or boiling water
Kosher or sea salt

1. Melt the butter in a heavy 7- to 8-quart stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, carrots, bay leaves, parsley, thyme, and peppercorns and cook, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon, until the vegetables become very soft without browning, about 8 minutes.

2. Place the fish head on the vegetables and stack the fish frames evenly on top. Pour in the wine, cover the pot tightly, and let the bones sweat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until they have turned completely white.

3. Add enough very hot or boiling water to just barely cover the bones. Give the mixture a gentle stir and allow the brew to come to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes, uncovered, carefully skimming off any white foam that comes to the surface, trying not to take any herbs, spices, or vegetables with it. (Using a ladle and a circular motion, push the foam from the center to the outside of the pot, where it is easy to remove.)

4. Remove the pot from the stove, stir the stock again, and allow it to steep for 10 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer and season lightly with salt. If you are not going to be using the stock within the hour, chill it as quickly as possible. Cover the stock after it is thoroughly chilled (it will have a light jellied consistency) and keep refrigerated for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.

Cook Notes

Strong Fish Stock can be used in any fish chowder, using 1 or 2 heads form haddock or cod mixed with any combination of flounder, sole, bass and/or halibut frames (bones).

You can employ the "sweating" method with any fish you use to make a chowder - simply substitute the same amount of heads and bones. Keep in mind, however, that while the heads and bones of salmon, bluefish, and other species of oily fish make a stock that is right for their own chowders, its flavor is too pronounced to be suitable in other chowders or soups.

For equipment, you will need a 7- to 8-quart heavy stockpot with a tight-fitting lid, a wooden spoon, a ladle, and a fine-mesh strainer.

-------

This recipe uses a technique called "sweating" to extract maximum flavor from every ingredient. Although sweating adds a step, this stock is still effortless to make and takes only five minutes longer to cook than the Traditional Fish Stock.

I begin by sautéing a very thinly sliced mirepoix (onions, celery, and carrots) with herbs and peppercorns. I then layer fish heads and frames (bones) on top of these vegetables, add a little white wine, and cover the pot. As the heads and bones "sweat" (and steam), the proteins are drawn out. If you peek, you will actually see little white droplets of flavorful protein coagulating on the surface of the bones.

After the sweating is completed (about 15 minutes), I cover the bones with water and simmer them briefly. I let the mixture steep for 10 minutes before straining it, producing a stock that is full-flavored and gelatinous. The fish heads are what endow this stock with its marvelous jellied consistency, which in turn gives a luscious mouth feel to the chowder broth.

-----

Cook's Notes
Traditional Fish Stock and Strong Fish Stock (provided the Strong Fish Stock is not made with nontraditional fish like salmon or bluefish), can be used interchangeably in chowder. However, Strong Fish Stock is preferable for fish chowder and Traditional Fish Stock is preferable for chowders that use shellfish or a mixture of different seafoods. The milder Traditional Fish Stock lets the shellfish flavors come through more clearly.

Description:
"by Jasper White50 Chowders: One Pot Meals - Clam, Corn & Beyond"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTES : 2 quarts

-------
After the stock chilled, I was so surpised at how little fat needed to be skimmed off the top. and the consistency was nicely gelatinous (sp?), and the flavor, just a mild salmon flavor.

Tomorrow I'm makiing a Salmon & Corn Chowder with the stock.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Cooking, But Eating out of the Freezer!! by cjs (I'm really trying to...)
"Salmon & Corn Chowder" Doesn't that sound yummy! Sadly, all our salmon comes frozen (or thawed and sold as "fresh" at the counter...DUH, how stupid do they think I am?) and are always filleted.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Cooking, But Eating out of the Freezer!! by Gourmet_Mom ("Salmon & Corn Chowd...)
Salmon and Corn Chowder does sound good. Does anyone ever use the fish boullion cubes that you can buy in asian stores? I have some but haven't used them yet. They are kind of stinky.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: Cooking, But Eating out of the Freezer!! by Mare749 (Salmon and Corn Chow...)
Maryann, have you checked the sodium content of those little buggers?

We had the salmon chowder last night and all I can say is - for the first time in 41 years, I made a fish chowder that Roy loved! It is so good and made with the wonderful salmon stock, just added the nicest touch.

After reading Ahab's Wife - do either of you remember me mentioning this book from The Book Club Cook Book? Anyway, I told Roy if he liked the salmon/corn chowder, I'd feel good about making the chowder that was developed to go with this book. (Ahab's Wife is a GREAT book!)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking, But Eating out of the Freezer!! by cjs (Maryann, have you ch...)
What's unique about the one developed to go along with the book, Jean?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Cooking, But Eating out of the Freezer!! by Gourmet_Mom (What's unique about ...)
Nothing really, I just thought I'd have fun making each recipe as I read the book club's different selections. Roy's such a stinker when it comes to fish soups/chowders that I don't make them often, but he really liked the salmon so maybe....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Cooking, But Eating out of the Freezer!! by cjs (Nothing really, I ju...)
Here Roy and William part company. William's a fool for a good soup or chowder! If it's good, you know you've got to share!
Daphne