Apple Cheddar Bacon Bread
  Re: (...)
This was a recent eRecipe. It looked appealing, and I happened to have everything I needed, so I gave it a try.
This is a somewhat dense, moist bread, unless I did something wrong, but very good all the same. It only has a 1/2t baking soda, and didn't rise much. I'm definitely going to make this again and use baking pwder and increase it a bit too. Overall, this was a really tasty bread, very savory. Next morning I toasted it and served with a fried egg and tomato slice. Mucho yummy!
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Apple Cheddar Bacon Bread by farnfam (This was a recent eR...)
I can't remember if I saw this on foodgawker recently or what, but I did take note of it. Nice to know it's good! This is something that would appeal to William!

Hey, Cis...it looks like it's just me and you again tonight. William went bow hunting and is now searching for his deer. Then they'll have to clean it. Dinner is going to be VERY late..LOL! Thankfully, I'm fixing scampi, so it will go on the table quickly!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Apple Cheddar Bacon Bread by Gourmet_Mom (I can't remember if ...)
I catered our friend Bill's memorial today(oops, yesterday ), so we weren't around much. laughed and cried all day - we were exhausted; but what a great turnout, could not believe all the folks that showed up and I was afraid (about 1 1/2 hours before supposed to be over) that we were going to run out of food!! But we were o.k. whew.

Apple....Cheddar...Bacon....oh my, what could possibly be wrong with this bread. I didn't see it, darn it, but it sure sounds great.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Apple Cheddar Bacon Bread by cjs (I catered our friend...)
It was an eRecipe from C@H, I could post it if your interested. It was just a teeny bit on the moist/dense side and I'm wondering if more bk pwdr would help. I didn't get much bacon drippings as I used turkey bacon, you're supposed to add oil to the drippings to 1/2 cup...might be I need to adjust that. Anyway, it was really tasty and a nice break from sweet type breads
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Apple Cheddar Bacon Bread by farnfam (It was an eRecipe fr...)
a half a cup of bacon drippings??????? geez, now I know I should stay away!!! But, yes, would love to see the recipe, Cis - when you get a minute. (you devil)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Apple Cheddar Bacon Bread by cjs (a half a cup of baco...)
Apple-Cheddar-Bacon Bread

Better the day after it’s baked, this bread is perfect for toasting or as the foundation for a delicious egg sandwich.

Makes: 1 loaf (16 slices)

Total time: 1½ hours
6 strips thick-sliced bacon, diced
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. table salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and shredded (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided

Nutrition Information
Per slice: 214 cal; 13g total fat (5g sat); 42mg chol; 299mg sodium; 18g total carbs (7g sugars); 1g fiber; 6g protein
Editor’s Note

Coating your baking dish with nonstick spray is the best way to ensure that bread comes out of the baking dish cleanly. It’s also important to let the loaf cool a short time in the baking dish before trying to remove it, or portions of bread could remain stuck to the hot glass.

Preheat oven to 350°; coat a 8½×4½-inch glass loaf dish with nonstick spray.

Sauté bacon in a skillet over medium-high heat until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to transfer cooked bacon to a paper-towel-lined plate; set aside. Reserve drippings.

Whisk together flour, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl; make a well in the center. Set dry ingredients aside.

Add enough oil (about ¼ cup) to the reserved drippings to make ½ cup. Combine dripping mixture with sugar and eggs in a large bowl; vigorously whisk until color lightens. Add shredded apple, applesauce, and buttermilk, stirring to combine.

Pour buttermilk-apple mixture into well of dry ingredients; stir only until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in 1 cup Cheddar and the cooked bacon. Immediately pour batter into the prepared loaf dish.

Bake loaf 50 minutes. Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup Cheddar on top of loaf; continue baking until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 10 minutes more. Cool bread in the loaf dish on a rack for 10 minutes, then turn bread out of dish. Allow bread to completely cool on a rack before slicing.
videos and more. Learn more here.
Steps to Success

1. Reserve the bacon drippings from frying, then add vegetable oil to measure 1/2 cup total fat.

2. Whisk sugar and eggs with the drippings and oil. Stop whisking when the mixture lightens in color.

3. The apple can be shredded using a box grater or in a food processor fitted with a shredding blade.

4. For the best bread texture, avoid overmixing when combining the wet and dry ingredients.
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: Apple Cheddar Bacon Bread by farnfam (Apple-Cheddar-Bacon ...)
Yea, that's where I saw it...I knew it sounded familiar. HMMM? That baking soda amount and lack of baking powder sure does seem off. I wonder if you took out the baking soda and used yeast instead. Every bread recipe I just checked used yeast without the soda and powder.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Apple Cheddar Bacon Bread by Gourmet_Mom (Yea, that's where I ...)
Well, the rule of thumb seems to be 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda per cup of flour, so 1/2 teaspoon for two cups would fit that rule. Baking powder is not necessary as long as there is some kind of acidic ingredient to activate the baking soda, and the buttermilk takes care of that in this recipe. This is a quick bread, not a yeast bread, so the ingredients should be mixed quickly, but gently, so you don't lose or break the bubbles created by the baking soda/buttermilk reaction. Also, when it says "Immediately pour batter into the prepared loaf dish," don't let it sit there for the bubbles to escape, but pour it and bake it immediately.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Apple Cheddar Bacon Bread by farnfam (This was a recent eR...)
I made this a couple of weekends ago. My bacon was very lean but made the rest of the oil up with vegetable oil. It was very yummy but quite crumblely(?spelling). I ended up slicing it with an electric knife and freezing it in individual slices. Very nice toasted. Any one have have any ideas on why it wanted to break apart??