Monday's Dinner 10/5??
  Re: (...)
What's everyone up to tonight??

I think we're going to have the Asian Pork Tenderloin & the Asian Noodle Salad. Such rave reviews - got to get to it.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Monday's Dinner 10/5?? by cjs (What's everyone up t...)
I'm making my "Mahogany Stew with Red Wine and Hoisin Sauce". Husband wants mashed potatoes though I'd rather have noodles. I'll let him win this one.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner 10/5?? by Trixxee (I'm making my "Maho...)
Trixxee, where is that recipe...sounds interesting.

I've got a fridge full of meat I've got to portion and package for freezing, so I'm going easy tonight. We're having London Broil on the grill with roasted potatoes and onions in butter and a side salad of leftover Asian Noodle Salad.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner 10/5?? by Gourmet_Mom (Trixxee, where is th...)
Here you go Daphne. I usually wind up using one cup of wine and one cup of beef broth rather than two cups of wine.

Mahogany Beef Stew with Red Wine and Hoisin Sauce
Bon Appétit | February 2002

Hoisin adds complexity to the flavor of the sauce. You can save some time — and some tears — by chopping the onions in the processor in two batches.
Yield: Makes 6 servings

4 tablespoons olive oil
3 1/2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 2 1/2-inch pieces
3 1/2 cups chopped onions
2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs, undrained
1/2 cup hoisin sauce*
2 bay leaves

1 pound slender carrots, peeled, cut diagonally into 1-inch lengths
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
preparation

Heat 2 tablespoons oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper. Add meat to pot; sauté until brown on all sides, about 10 minutes. Push meat to sides of pot. Reduce heat to medium; add 2 tablespoons oil to pot. Add onions; sauté until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Mix meat into onions. Add 1 cup wine, tomatoes with juices, hoisin sauce, and bay leaves. Bring to boil.

Reduce heat to low, cover pot and simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add carrots and 1 cup wine. Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover, increase heat to high; boil until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes longer. Reduce heat to medium, add cornstarch mixture and simmer until sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Season stew with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep refrigerated. Bring to simmer before serving, stirring occasionally.) Transfer stew to large bowl. Sprinkle with parsley; serve.

* Available at Asian markets and in the Asian foods section of some supermarkets.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner 10/5?? by Trixxee (Here you go Daphne. ...)
Boy oh boy! I wanted to do a pot roast this week, so this will probably be it! I'll save the Guiness for next week! Thanks Trixxee, it looks wonderful!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner 10/5?? by Gourmet_Mom (Boy oh boy! I wante...)
I made my quickie version of sauerbraten with potato dumplings and red cabbage. Just felt a bit German today, I guess. I must say, Trixxee's dinner sounds really good so I will have to save that one for a cool day.

I am so excited, I get to meet Linda, aka IBcookin, tomorrow. Her hubby is letting her tag along on a business trip about an hour from me. We will see what kind of trouble we can get into together. I will report on the day, hopefully with photos!!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner 10/5?? by chef_Tab (I made my quickie ve...)
How exciting Theresa! Be sure to let us know how your day goes! Isn't it fun...so many of us getting together here recently! Just when we all needed it!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner 10/5?? by Gourmet_Mom (How exciting Theresa...)
Well I have a rib eye. That's about as far as I've gotten. I'm thinking about searing it, slicing it thin and putting a nice romesco sauce and stuffing it into a pita.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner 10/5?? by DFen911 (Well I have a rib ey...)
Have fun Theresa! It's fun to meet up with "peeps" from chat boards.

On the recipe I posted, I didn't mention that I cook simmer the meat longer, but I know you are all seasoned cooks and know how long you like to cook your stews and roasts. It's not just this recipe, I always add additional cooking time for any type of recipe like this one.

If anyone makes it, I hope you like it! I did add mushrooms to mine today and I think that was a good addition. Quartered and sauteed them, then added the last 30 minutes or so.
  Re: Re: Monday's Dinner 10/5?? by Trixxee (Have fun Theresa! I...)
Looking forward to reading about another forum peeps meet. Hope there are photos!

I'm making a Nicoise style salad with Tapenade.