This & That
  Re: (...)
I’m going thru all the little notes I’ve been writing the last couple weeks (it’s getting deep) and there are a few that I wanted to share with you all.

First, someone a few weeks ago wanted a recipe for a winter taco sauce using ingredients after the fresh veggies are gone. I’ve been making one for years, but lost the recipe, I thought. Found it the other day…in the darn book, Journey Home, for heaven’s sake. I’ve searched but can’t remember the exact words to search for, so don’t know if it was here or one of the other 2 forums I visit (not as often as this one!). If it was here, here is the recipe –

I love taco sauce on just about any food in the world. Here is a recipe to make up in the winter and can for the months you can’t make fresh salsa and sauces. The recipe is a combination of so many ingredient changes over the years that I’m sure you will add or delete as your family likes also. Just have fun with it.

Winter Taco Sauce

Approximately 10 cups tomatoes – use a good quality canned tomato
2 large onions, rough chop
6-8 jalapeno or Serrano peppers, rough chop (don’t remove seeds)
6 large cloves garlic, rough chop
12 ozs. tomato paste
1 1/4 cups cider vinegar
1 1/2 T. salt
1 T. dry mustard
1 tsp. dried basil
1 T. black pepper
1/2 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. cayenne
Cornstarch: mix some with cold water and add to sauce towards end of cooking time if sauce is too thin for you – it will thicken a little after it has been canned and cooled. Each year you will have a different consistency because of the tomatoes

Put the tomatoes, onions, peppers and garlic in a processor and mince finely or chop by hand.

Combine all the ingredients in a large soup pot, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 4 hours without a lid. Check for consistency you want and if needed, add some of the cornstarch mixture to your liking.

Fill sterilized jars with the sauce and process in a water bath for 25 minutes.

---
Next, remember the cast iron griddles a few of us bought a couple years ago?
[Image: CastIronPizzaPan.jpg]

I used to have pizza tiles, but got rid of them somewhere along the time. While testing pizzas in the oven baking method, I wanted to try a couple different ways and equipment, so I drug this out and used it. It’s wonderful for baking a pizza – put it in the oven as you turn it on and it gets good and hot. I’ll be using this a lot when I don’t want to brave the elements to grill.

----

Lastly, I just have to brag about Roy for a minute. I’m so proud of his ability to do just about any remodeling we get into our heads. We’ve been kicking around buying another trailer just a little longer than what we have – getting around the easy chairs without moving them to get into the bedroom was impossible, plus they took up so much room around the door, in and out. Also, I really missed the laundry shoot that I had in the 5th wheels – don’t like the basket in the tub that has to be moved all the time.

One Saturday we took our wine out to the trailer and debated spending all the money we knew was in store for us and decided we really did not want to commit to that. So…here’s the result of our wine-drinking afternoon.

The push out had a table and built in benches, so Roy ripped that all out and here is what’s there now –
[Image: EasyChairs.jpg]

Where the chairs were, he built a desk type counter that wraps around with storage and a great computer area and a fold up eating table.

[Image: Trailertwo.jpg]
[Image: trailertableup.jpg]

The folding chairs will be replaced with some comfortable small stools of some sort – we’re going to take our time to find just what will fit.

AND, in the bedroom, he took out two drawers that were virtually useless and made a door for it and I have a hamper for dirty clothes!! It’s just great.
[Image: HamperDoor.jpg]
[Image: HamperOpen.jpg]

So, we didn’t have to spend much money at all and it’s so open in there now. We’re going over to the Port Townsend Sunday and Monday to test it all out. He really does beautiful work, doesn’t he?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: This & That by cjs (I’m going thru all t...)
Wow, Jean, I love what Roy has done with the trailer! I don't know much about RV's, did those big arm chairs come with it? I had no idea life could be so plush in one. I love the fold down eating table! Isn't it wonderful to be married to an engineer? They can be a little dorky, but the ideas are so creative.

Have fun on your upcoming trip and let us know how all the new "gadgets" work out!
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: This & That by chef_Tab (Wow, Jean, I love wh...)
Nice remodeling job, Jean. Isn't it nice to have such a handy hubbie. And yes, Roy does beautiful work!
But....I can't help but notice that Gertie was nowhere in sight!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
  Re: Re: This & That by Mare749 (Nice remodeling job,...)
Oh, she was watching everything - she's almost hidden behind the table lamp. (she's shy)
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: This & That by cjs (Oh, she was watching...)
Wow - I'm impressed! He did a great job.

I'd like to sell our RV. Anyone want to buy a 2000 34' Pace Arrow Vision?
  Re: Re: This & That by Trixxee (Wow - I'm impressed!...)
Wow Jean! All that in one afternoon?!?!?! I am VERY impressed! I especially love the desk area! How nice to have a handy hubby! Mine has NO talent in that department....LOL! He's not good with engines either! His father was an engineer and did NOT pass on any of those genes to his son! GEEZ!

Trixxee...WHAT? I thought you guys used that thing all the time!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: This & That by Gourmet_Mom (Wow Jean! All that ...)
Oh Trixxee - I thought so too, Daphne.

Well, we dreamed it up in one afternoon, but it kept him busy the last month.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: This & That by cjs (Oh Trixxee - I thoug...)
We do use quite a bit in the spring and summer. But between the $538 monthly payment, $160 monthly storage, $30 a month insurance, $600 a year in registration fees, it's a bit much! And that's before we put a drop of gas in it, repair or upkeep anything, and pay for campground fees.

In hindsight, I can think of a lot of other fun things to do with $10k a year.
  Re: Re: This & That by Trixxee (We do use quite a bi...)
OUCH! That's a lot of bucks for a little bit of fun...makes sense now! When I think about what I could do with that extra money, I can see selling it. We're in a similar situation. When my Cobra blew an engine last year, gas prices were REALLY high. William had been bugging me about selling it and getting something a little more economical...a Mini Cooper. When the Cobra broke down, we bought one. It's a little better on gas, but added a car payment. PLUS, I didn't WANT to replace my Cobra! I still mourn its loss. Recently, William suggested taking 6K out of our "Camp" fund to fix the Cobra and sell the Cooper. So I get where you're coming from.

Oh, and Jean...I had wondered...LOL! That was a lot of work! Go Roy!!!!! I sure wish he was closer. I'd give him a lot of business.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: This & That by Gourmet_Mom (OUCH! That's a lot ...)
Jean...your trailer looks great!!! Roy is one handy man

Cast iron griddle....man I need to reinforce some of my cabinetry and get some more cast iron pieces. Or!!! Roy and you could come down to S. Calif and help me build shelves...OR!!! You and Roy could come down and THEY could build shelves and we could go shopping or sit and watch and open the wine yeah ...that sounds perfect!