Butter Roasted Rib Eye
  Re: (...)
Ok it's not a C@H recipe but saw this last night on Gordon Ramsey the F word and thought this was just decadent. Ribeye and butter.

Butter-roasted rib eye of beef with grilled artichokes and roasted new carrots

Serves: 4

Ingredients:
1kg rib-eye beef, off the bone and trimmed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Olive oil
Few cloves of garlic
Few sprigs of rosemary
Few knobs of butter

Method:
Begin by shaping the beef: Cover a chopping board or work surface with a layer of cling film then smooth it out with a tea towel. Trim the cling film with a knife or pair of scissors then repeat until you have 4-5 layers. Put the beef at one end of the cling film, and roll it up stretching the film as you go, to wrap it as tightly as possible. Roll up tight at both ends and tuck them under. Wrap in a final layer of cling film then put the beef in the fridge while you prepare the vegetables below.

Slice the beef into 4 even steaks. Season generously with salt and pepper. Heat some olive oil in a pan with a few unpeeled cloves of garlic, lightly crushed, and the rosemary.

Remove the cling film from each steak and put the steak in the pan. Leave it for 3 ½ minutes for medium then turn it over and cook for a further 3 ½ minutes, adding 2 knobs of butter for the final 1-2 minutes, baste the meat until evenly colored and cooked. Leave to rest for 5 minutes.

For the carrots:
400g baby or young new season carrots, scrubbed
1 tbsp olive oil
Few sprigs of thyme
1 tbsp caster sugar
Splash of sherry vinegar

Par-boil the carrots until barely tender, about 2-3 minutes. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the carrots and thyme. Sprinkle with the sugar then add a splash of sherry vinegar and seasoning. Sauté the carrots for 7-8 minutes over moderate to high heat, tossing and turning them until just tender and caramelised. Keep warm.

For the artichokes:
12 baby globe artichokes
1 un-waxed lemon
100ml white wine vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
First set a bowl of cold water to the side, and squeeze in the juice of one lemon. To prepare the artichokes, discard the tough outer leaves with a small sharp knife. Keep going through the layers until you reach the light green, tender leaves.

Trim the stem and base of the artichoke, then cut the heads into halves or quarters. Remove the furry ‘choke’ in the middle (if they are really young this may not have formed yet, so the whole thing is edible). As you prepare each one, rub all of the cut sides with one of the squeezed lemon halves, then place in the bowl of lemony water. In a large saucepan, bring a few inches of water to the boil. Add the vinegar and the artichokes, and simmer for 15-18 mins, depending on the size of the artichokes, until tender. Drain and tip into a bowl, toss in the oil and a generous seasoning of salt and pepper.

Heat a griddle pan over a medium heat until hot. Griddle the artichokes on all sides, a few at a time, until golden and charred at the edges.
  Re: Butter Roasted Rib Eye by DFen911 (Ok it's not a [url=m...)
So, confusion number 2 - Daphne, are you talking of roasting a rib eye?
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butter Roasted Rib Eye by cjs (So, confusion number...)
Daphne? (walks off laughing!)

But to answer the question yes
  Re: Re: Butter Roasted Rib Eye by DFen911 (Daphne? (walks off l...)
I thought you were posting a recipe for Daphne.... I think I'd better go to bed for a few days... geez.

But, that sure sounds good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butter Roasted Rib Eye by cjs (I thought you were...)
*Daphne shaking her head*

Maybe I'm not calling it by the proper name. I'm doing (I think) a BONE-IN Rib Eye Roast...Don't you call that a Standing Rib Roast?

Let's try a picture:

[Image: ribroasttn.jpg]

Now, the recipe you posted, Denise: I get the whole thing, except for the plastic wrap thing. What is the purpose of that?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Butter Roasted Rib Eye by Gourmet_Mom (*Daphne shaking her ...)
Lots of confusion over this cut, Daphne.

What we call a 'prime rib roast' used to be qualified by the USDA beef grade. Over the years it's kind of morphed into being top drawer beef rib roast.

A Standing Rib roast according to my FLC is "usually includes at least three ribs (less than that is rally just a very thick steak)."

So, evidently the terms are nowadays interchangeable.
Whew!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Butter Roasted Rib Eye by cjs (Lots of confusion ov...)
Okey dokey! Thanks for the clarification, Jean!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Butter Roasted Rib Eye by Gourmet_Mom (Okey dokey! Thanks ...)
Lol don't ask me! I just posted the recipe Gordon Ramsey and his darn measurements and directions
  Re: Re: Butter Roasted Rib Eye by DFen911 (Lol don't ask me! I ...)
I was so confused by the cling wrap activity, I gave up on the rest of the roast recipe! The artichoke recipe made sense and sounded good to me, though.
  Re: Re: Butter Roasted Rib Eye by HomeCulinarian (I was so confused by...)
I think it's to help the roast take shape.