Two Questions
  Re: (...)
These questions are totally unrelated, but I figured, why clog the forum when these questions shouldn't take much to answer. I think I know the answer to both, but need to be sure.

I have some Crusty Country Bread dough in the fridge....very cold part of fridge left from Monday. Is it safe, or do I make another batch?

Here is Sonja's recipe for her Chili. I don't have the chili kit she mentions, but what you use is the chili seasoning from the kit. Since the seasonings for chili are basically the seasonings she lists after the kit, couldn't I just double up the spices and use half to season the meat and half to season the chili after the tomatoes are added? Or would you just leave that part off?

* Exported from MasterCook *

Held’s Mohunken 6 Pack of Beer Chili

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 10 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
Meat
1 1/2 pounds beef roast -- shoulder or other cut in large cubes
1/2 pound pork sausage -- with sage or veal
1/2 pound Italian sausage
1 beer -- dark, Guiness, or stout
Seasonings
1 Carroll Shelby’s Chili Kits
1 tablespoon Oregano
1 tablespoon Paprika
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetables
1 large Vidalia onions -- diced
3 cloves garlic -- minced
1/2 red bell pepper -- diced
1/2 green bell pepper -- diced
28 fluid ounces crushed tomatoes -- 2- 28 ounce cans
42 ounces diced tomatoes -- 3-28 ounce cans
4 fluid ounces tomato sauce
2 ounces chipotle chile canned in adobo -- diced
2 ounces green chiles -- diced
1/2 jalapeno pepper -- smoked, seeded and diced
23 1/4 ounces kidney beans, canned -- dark 3- 15 1/2 ounce cans
15 1/2 fluid ounces chili beans in zesty sauce -- 2- 15 1/2 ounce cans
Extras: Masa to thicken
White Sugar for sweetening
Vinegar for acidity
Salt and pepper to taste

Drink a beer and read the directions.

In a large skillet brown the beef with ½ package of chili seasoning. Drain the fat, but don't go overboard cause there's lots of flavor in there.

In a large tall stock pot add the browned beef and two dark beers, remaining ½ package of the chili seasoning, Oregano, Cumin, Coriander, Paprika and bring to a boil. Reduce heat-Simmer for an hour. Remember to constantly stir the chili.

Either, smoke jalapeno pepper over burner or roast in the oven at 400 for 30 minutes. Place in paper bag and remove skin

Have a beer to reward yourself for all that hard work.

While beef is simmering brown the rest of the meat in the skillet; and after the one hour of the beef simmering, add the rest of the meat to the beef mixture.

Use the same skillet and caramelize the onions (a little salt needs to be added here-a few finger flings). During the last couple of minutes, add the garlic and saute.

Add onion and garlic to the chili along with chipotles, jalapeno, green chilies, all the bell peppers, tomatoes, tomato sauce, chili power, brown sugar, and 1 more pack of chili seasoning. (Everything but the beans)

Bring Chili up to a simmer and simmer 1 hour

Good time for another beer after all the hard work

Add Beans

Simmer at least 3 hours.

You deserved another beer here

Taste chili and add white sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.

To thicken chili, whisk together equal parts of Masa and cold water ( 1/3 cup each). Bring to a boil and stir until it thickens. Use to thicken chili to taste (We didn't use the Masa this time-it was thick enough for us)

Open another beer and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Two Questions by Gourmet_Mom (These questions are ...)
Okay, I just looked this up and found in a review the following: "Inside the tiny bag, there are four individual spice packets. The large one contains the chili powder. The chili powder does not have a lot of heat to it when eaten, but it definitely packs a flavorful punch. There are three tiny packets inside. One contains salt, one has the cayenne pepper flakes and the last one contains mesa, (flour), which lets you add more of a thickness to your chili if you prefer." I'm thinking now that the spice blend may be too much of a good thing. I will probably go with just some chili powder and a little cayenne and salt. Whatcha think?
Daphne
  Re: Re: Two Questions by Gourmet_Mom (Okay, I just looked ...)
Daphne, the spice packet (not the salt and cayenne pepper) has chili powder, cumin, oregano, onion and paprika. I just opened another kit and that packet is a little less than a third of a cup. The masa and spice packets are the same size and the sale and cayenne pepper are the size that come with to go utensils. They are much smaller than the spice packet size. I don't know if this helps but I have those kits around.
Regarding the dough, I found this, which surprised me. I figured I would need to toss the dough. Whatcha think? The recipe calls for 2 teaspoons of sugar. I have half a recipe.

"Yeast dough made with water (except plain bread dough) can be refrigerated up to 5 days. However, if milk and at least 1/4 cup sugar was used, refrigerate for no longer than 3 days; the milk could sour. Mix dough as usual, place in bowl. Grease top well. Cover with moisture-proof wrap, then a clean, damp cloth. Keep cloth damp during the storage time. When ready to bake, shape the dough, let it rise until double (approximately 1 1/2 hours). Bake as recipe indicates."
Daphne
  Re: Re: Two Questions by Gourmet_Mom (Regarding the dough,...)
So I was right the first time...just double (or measure out separately) the spice mix listed in the recipe and go from there. The only difference is the addition of coriander which I could leave out. Also, the only beer, other than the usual, the store carried was a lager....Go with it or leave it out? (And don't tell Mister, but I'm using ground beef instead of the shoulder. I figure I'll be doing good to get the crew to eat a recipe different from my regular which is ONLY ground beef. ****BILL SIGHS****
Daphne
  Re: Re: Two Questions by Gourmet_Mom (So I was right the f...)
I think as long as you don't put "fruity" beer it will be fine. And, he would have a filet mignon cow if he knew you were using ground meat! I love hamburger meat chili - but he likes those huge chunks. Hey, that might be why he needs to start eating more tofu LOLOL.
Quote:

Okay, I just looked this up and found in a review the following:  "Inside the tiny bag, there are four individual spice packets. The large one contains the chili powder. The chili powder does not have a lot of heat to it when eaten, but it definitely packs a flavorful punch. There are three tiny packets inside. One contains salt, one has the cayenne pepper flakes and the last one contains mesa, (flour), which lets you add more of a thickness to your chili if you prefer."  I'm thinking now that the spice blend may be too much of a good thing.  I will probably go with just some chili powder and a little cayenne and salt.  Whatcha think?

Add a little more chili powder, a little salt, and cayenne pepper to taste.I would think your beer will work. Then take a T of masa and dissolve in 3T cold water and add to the "chili" just as it finishes, stir in and heat thru. Please, at least don't add the beans--you can even put them in a bowl on the side if you must. I really don't even recognize this product. Just trying to help.
  Re: Re: Two Questions by (I think as long as y...)
" Hey, that might be why he needs to start eating more tofu LOLOL." ROFLOL! I figured if it was "His" recipe, it would be best not to mention the ground meat...LOL!

Hey, Bill, it's got beans, too...so I'm thinking you are having a "filet mignon cow", about now, too...LOL!

UH HUH! I figured as much...I knew you would have something to say about the beans. Will it make you feel better that I'm not using as many beans as called for? Hey, since William doesn't like them, maybe I'll split it at that point and make one with and one without. That sounds like a compromise.
Daphne
  Re: Re: Two Questions by Gourmet_Mom (" Hey, that might be...)
here's a couple of ideas for you for chili seasonings -

1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. ground oregano
1 tbsp. seasoned salt
1 dried chili pepper, crushed, seeds removed
1 tsp. instant minced onion
1/4 tsp. instant minced garlic

3 tbsp. cornmeal
3 tbsp. instant minced onion
1 tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. each ground cumin, salt, and dried oregano leaves, crushed
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 - 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1 beef bouillon cube, crushed

I'm too tired to read all this, so I guess I should just keep quiet, but...

Your bread dough should be fine.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Two Questions by cjs (here's a couple of i...)
Thanks, Jean! The bread looks okay! And the chili is smelling awesome! I just used Chili powder and cayenne and maybe a little more cumin and oregano than called for in the recipe.

Tired? You must have worked hard today. Isn't it just 4 ish your time?
Daphne