Turkey-Dinner Brioche
  Re: (...)
Once again I have decided to take the path trod by Dr. Frankenstein - but in culinary form. Also, once again, I have revisited the theme of the Thanksgiving or Christmas turkey dinner.

It started the middle of last week, when I got the harebrained idea of baking the stuffing mixture (minus the bread croutons) INTO the bread, itself - not just as a filling within a loaf of bread, but integrally PART of the bread, and cooked all the way through it. After trying to imagine how that concept would work with different types of bread, I decided to make it as a savoury brioche.

Now, I've never made brioche before, and I know that it can be a lot of work and take a lot of time, but I also realised that my modifications to it were going to be such that I would be better off NOT using the Julia Child recipe. Instead, I chose the recipe from Farm Journal's Homemade Breads, since it took less time AND would be easier to change to accommodate the turkey (or, in my case, chicken) and "stuffing."

First of all, since this was for a sweet brioche, and I was making a savoury brioche, I followed the instructions of another recipe in the book for a sausage-filled brioche, and cut the sugar in half and left out the lemon rind called for in their basic recipe. Their sausage-filled brioche was just brioche dough wrapped around a log of sausage, then baked, but my idea was to incorporate the "stuffing" mixture INTO the dough, so I also left out the butter that was in the original recipe, since the "stuffing" mixture would be cooked in a lot of butter. Finally, I also left out the salt of the original recipe, since that was also in the "stuffing" already.

Considering the changes I made to a recipe I had never made before, the result was WONDERFUL! In fact, I probably could have used even more of the "stuffing" mixture than I used - maybe even double, so that it would REALLY define the loaf. Even so, the way it did turn out is delicious.

Turkey-Dinner Brioche

Ingredients for "stuffing":
  • 1/4 pound bulk sausage (I use the copycat Jimmy Dean recipe)
  • 1 Cup Cooked turkey or chicken, pulled into small pieces
  • 1/4 Cup (1/2 stick) Butter
  • 1/2 Cup Chopped onion
  • 2 Ribs Celery, chopped
  • 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
  • 1 Cup Chopped mushrooms
  • 1 Cube Chicken Bouillon
  • 1 Tsp salt
  • 1/4 Tsp pepper
  • 1/2 Tsp Rubbed sage
  • 1 Tbsp Chopped parsley
Instructions for "stuffing":
  1. Brown and drain sausage in large skillet.
  2. Add remaining ingredients and cook until onions, mushrooms and apples are soft.
  3. Allow to cool to between 105F and 115F.
Ingredients for the brioche:
  • 1 Pkg Active dry yeast
  • 2 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1/4 Cup Warm water (105F - 115F)
  • 1/2 Cup Milk
  • 1 Recipe "Stuffing" (above) - or more, up to as much as you think the dough can handle
  • 3 1/2 to 4 Cups Sifted flour
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Egg yolk
  • 1 Tbsp Milk
Instructions for the brioche:
  1. In a large bowl, sprinkle the yeast and sugar over warm water and stir until dissolved.
  2. Add milk, "stuffing" and 1 1/2 Cups flour.
  3. Using mixer at low speed, beat until well blended.
  4. Increase speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes.
  5. Add eggs.
  6. Increase speed to high and beat 2 minutes more.
  7. Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough.
  8. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface.
  9. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
  10. Place into a greased bowl, turning over dough so that the top is greased.
  11. Cover with towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled - about 1 hour.
  12. Punch down dough.
  13. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
  14. Pinch off 1/2 Cup of the dough, shape into a teardrop shape and set aside.
  15. Shape remaining dough into a ball.
  16. Place in greased 2-quart casserole, soufflé dish or large brioche pan.
  17. Make a deep indentation in center of ball.
  18. Insert teardrop-shaped piece, pointed end down, into the indentation.
  19. Cover and let rise until doubled - about 1 hour.
  20. Bake in 375F oven 30 minutes.
  21. Cover loosely with foil.
  22. Bake 10 to 15 minutes more, or until brioche is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped.
  23. Immediately remove from dish.
Storage note:
  • Since this brioche contains meats, it should probably be stored in the refrigerator or freezer.
Serving ideas:
  • Toast and spread with butter.
  • Toast and spread with jellied cranberry sauce (my original intent).
  • Use as the base for an open-faced, hot-turkey (or chicken) sandwich.
  • Toast, butter and cover with a fried egg.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Turkey-Dinner Brioche by labradors (Once again I have de...)
Labs, that sounds really cool and very creative! I have wanted to try brioche, but I'm thinking I need to make sure my other breads are perfected before tackling something of this magnitude. I'm getting better. Maybe by next summer, I'll be ready. Good for you!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Turkey-Dinner Brioche by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, that sounds re...)
I'm with you, Daphne. It sounds divine - but I don't understand the teardrop shaped part.
  Re: Re: Turkey-Dinner Brioche by Gourmet_Mom (Labs, that sounds re...)
This was not difficult at all, Daphne. A LOT less work than the Julia Child (i.e. more traditional) recipe. Maybe this (or just the plain version from the book) would be a good way to get started.

To restore this recipe back to the original, book recipe, do the following:
  1. Don't make the "stuffing."
  2. Increase the sugar to 1/4 Cup.
  3. Add 1/4 Cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted.
  4. Add 1/2 Tsp Salt.
  5. Add 1/2 Tsp Grated lemon rind.
  6. Follow the rest of the recipe, but at the point where you add the milk, add the melted butter, sat and grated lemon rind instead of the "stuffing.".
Have fun!

Oops! Forgot these in the original message:

[Image: briochewhole.jpg]

[Image: briochehalf.jpg]
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Turkey-Dinner Brioche by labradors (This was not difficu...)
Isn't that CUTE! Copied and saved, Labs! Thanks for the encouragement....maybe over Christmas then.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Turkey-Dinner Brioche by Gourmet_Mom (Isn't that CUTE! Co...)
why does everyone post such long threads at the end of the day?? See ya all in the morning, this looks interesting
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com