Grilled Salmon and Fish Recipes
  Re: (...)
I have a friend/coworker looking for good recipes. I sent her the recipe for Bill's Grapefruit one and the one Jean modified into an Asian recipe as well as Jean's Dry rub for Salmon. Since I more often than not grill my fish with salt and pepper and add a sauce after, I realize I don't have much. But if you have a good sauce recipe for fish, add that! I included my recipe for Alexander Sauce and Crabmeat Bechamel. What do you guys have for me?

BTW, I also included Vicci's recipe for Bourbon Salmon....not a grilled recipe, but hey...
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Grilled Salmon and Fish Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (I have a friend/cowo...)
My all time favorite that I keep going back to is great roasted in the oven or on the grill 'cause you don't have to turn it over.

Make a foil pan to fit the size of the salmon you have -
Rub fresh lemon juice over the salmon (if not individual fillets, I score them in serving size pieces, just don't cut all the way thru. Makes a much prettier 'cut' after the fish is cooked.)

Sprinkle with a little brown sugar and chop up some fresh tarragon and scatter over the top. That's it - just cook to 140°F. internal temp.

--

ROASTED SALMON

2 Salmon filets -- each 4-5 ounces -- cleaned of all bones
6 stalks Rosemary -- cut in 6" lengths
1 large red onion -- thickly sliced
1 lemon -- thinly sliced

Preheat oven to 400 F.

Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray and lay one layer of rosemary stalks on the sheet, large enough for the salmon filets to lay on.

Add a layer of the onions and top the onions with the salmon pieces; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Next, lay lemon slices over the salmon and top with two or three more stalks of rosemary.

Roast in the oven until fish just begins to flake, to a temperature of 140 F.

To serve, place the salmon filets on slices of onion and top with lemon slices. Serves 2.

--

Can't get much easier than brushing with some of your favorite BBQ sauce and roast or grill. (great served on top of mac & cheese)

--

I'll stop and not rant on & on like I did earlier today.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled Salmon and Fish Recipes by cjs (My all time favorite...)
Thanks Jean...but I'd love for you to rant away on this one. She is new to cooking like this, and I'd LOVE to give her a super list to choose from....So bring 'em on!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Grilled Salmon and Fish Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (Thanks Jean...but I'...)
Well, till others come along, I'll add some. Lorraine & I are both 'salmon queens' so she has a lot of ideas also.

‘Leftover’ Salmon Cakes

3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil -- divided
1 small onion -- finely chopped
1 stalk celery -- finely diced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
15 ounces canned salmon -- drained, or 1 1/2 cups cooked salmon (I don’t think I’ve ever made these with canned salmon – it’s great for leftovers)
1 large egg -- lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 3/4 cups Panko or dried bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 lemon -- cut into wedges

Preheat oven to 450°F.

Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in parsley; remove from the heat.

Place salmon in a medium bowl. Flake apart with a fork; remove any bones and skin. Add egg and mustard; mix well. Add the onion mixture, breadcrumbs and pepper; mix well. Shape the mixture into 8 patties, about 2 1/2 inches wide. (at this point you can cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.)

Heat remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium heat. Add 4 patties and cook until the undersides are golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a wide spatula, turn them over onto the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining patties.

Bake the salmon cakes until golden on top and heated through, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve salmon with lemon wedges.

--

* Exported from MasterCook *

TERIYAKI SALMON

5 7 oz. Salmon Fillets
Kikkoman Teriyaki Sauce & Glaze

Season filets w/salt/pepper & brown one side in a hot skillet with a little vegetable oil, 1 to 2 minutes. Just get a nice golden brown on them.

Turn over & place immediately on a sheet pan.(browned side up)
Brush liberally with the Kikkoman glaze, finish in a 375°F. oven for 3 minutes, remove from oven and brush with more of the glaze. Return to oven and roast until internal temperature reaches 140°F.

This salmon is very good served with Wasabil mashed potatoes - just add a pinch (or two) of wasabi powder or paste to the potatoes as you mash them.

--

Honey Mustard Glazed Alaska Salmon Steaks
serves 2

2 6-ounce Alaska salmon steaks (6 to 8 ounces)
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons honey
1 pinch thyme

Place salmon steaks in microwave safe dish.

In a separate bowl, mix together remaining ingredients. Drizzle mustard glaze evenly over salmon steaks. Microwave on HIGH for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 2 minutes before serving.

Or - drizzle the mustard glaze over the salmon steaks (which have been placed on an oiled baking sheet) and roast the fish in a 375°F. oven for 8 to 10 minutes to an internal temp. of 140°F.

Source: "Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute"

----

Pan seared and seared salmon with Balsamic glaze

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 Tb light brown sugar
salmon fillets with skin
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp vegetable oil

1 Stir together the vinegar, water, lemon juice and less sugar in a small bowl.

2 Pat salmon dry and season with salt and pepper.

3 Heat oil in a 12 inch nonstick Skillet over a moderately high heat until hot, but not smoking. Increase the heat to high add salmon skin side up, and sear until well brown about four minutes.

4 Turn over and sear until just cooked through, three to four minutes more.

5 Transfer salmon to plate and carefully add the vinegar mixture to Skillet (liquid will bubble vigorously and steam).

6 Simmer until thickened and reduced to about a third of a cup.

7 Spoon glaze over Samon

8 Bon appetite

Description:
"romany123/Dave posted this."

--

This is a good glaze that you can use with any method of cooking your salmon.

Sweet and Tangy - Sauce for Grilled Salmon

2 tablespoons sugar-free strawberry or mixed berry preserves
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 tablespoon fresh basil -- chopped

Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat and blend well. Cook for 5-10 minutes. Brush over salmon before grilling and again in the final 2-3 minutes of cooking.

--

Barbecued Salmon Sandwiches
Serving Size : 4

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove -- minced
1/2 cup ketchup
1 chipotle in adobo -- finely chopped
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 1/2 cups coleslaw mix
1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
1 scallion -- thinly sliced
Four 5-ounce skin-on salmon fillets
4 hot dog buns -- preferably brioche-style or split-top

Light a grill. In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderate heat until tender, about 4 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and stir in the ketchup, chipotle, Worcestershire, dry mustard and 1 tablespoon of the vinegar and cook for 1 minute, until warm. Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. Scrape the barbecue sauce into a bowl.

In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the remaining 1 tablespoon of cider vinegar and season with salt and pepper. Add the coleslaw mix, cilantro and scallion and toss well.

Season the salmon with salt and pepper and grill skin side up over moderately high heat for 3 minutes. Turn and brush with the barbecue sauce. Grill until the skin is crisp and the fish is just cooked through, 4 minutes longer. Toast the buns on the grill.

Transfer the salmon to the buns and top with the slaw. Serve, passing the remaining barbecue sauce at the table.

Search for easy-to-find rich, earthy pinot noir

S(Internet Address): "http://www.foodandwine.com/-

NOTES : This barbecue sauce, made with ketchup, cider vinegar, Worcestershire and canned chipotles in adobo, comes together quickly in a blender. The chipotles give the sauce an appealing smokiness.

--
this is one from Epicurious - and darn good.

Salmon and Corn Chowder

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 stalks celery -- cut into 1/2-inch slices
8 ounces unpeeled small red potatoes -- cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 1/4 teaspoons freshly ground white pepper
1 bunch green onions -- coarsely chopped, including half of greens
1 1/2 cups corn kernels (about 2 ears)(can use frozen also)
4 cups fish or chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
2 pounds salmon fillets -- skin and pin bones removed, cut into 2-inch pieces
Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup minced fresh dill

Prepare a campfire or wood-fired grill for cooking with indirect heat.

Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat and sauté the celery for 3 minutes.

Add the potatoes, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in the green onions and corn and add 2 cups of the stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are almost tender, about 15 minutes.

Add the cream and simmer, uncovered, until the potatoes are tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the salmon and lemon zest and simmer gently until the salmon is just cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.

Add more stock as needed and lemon juice to taste. Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Serve in bowls, topped with the dill.

Description:
"This chowder is easy to make and requires only one pot. The salmon comes out tender and is a good match with the dill and potatoes. For a smokier flavor, roast the ears of corn directly over the fire before removing the kernels."

--
and lastly - you've made me hungry for salmon!! another eipcurious recipe

Penne with Salmon Puttanesca

3/4 pound penne rigate or other ridged tubular pasta
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 pound skinless center-cut salmon fillet in one piece
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 garlic cloves -- thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 pint grape tomatoes
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives -- coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon drained capers -- rinsed and coarsely chopped
1/4 cup finely shredded basil leaves

In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until it's barely al dente. Drain, reserving 11/4 cups of the cooking water.

Meanwhile, in a very large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the salmon with salt and pepper, add it to the skillet and cook over high heat until browned on both sides but not cooked through, about 6 minutes. Transfer the salmon to a plate and pour off the oil in the skillet.

Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet along with the garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook over moderate heat until the garlic is lightly browned in spots, about 30 seconds.

Add the tomatoes and cook until just softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add 1 cup of the reserved pasta cooking water and bring to a boil, gently crushing the tomatoes. Add the pasta, olives and capers and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the liquid is slightly absorbed, about 2 minutes.

Add the salmon to the skillet and break it up into chunks. Cook, tossing, until the salmon is nearly cooked through and the pasta is al dente, about 2 minutes; add more of the pasta cooking water if the sauce is dry. Stir in the basil, transfer the pasta to bowls and serve.

Wine - Berry-rich, lively Italian rosé: 2005 Falesco Vitiano.

Description:
"by Grace Parisi A traditional puttanesca gets complex, savory flavor from olives, capers, tomatoes and anchovies (which essentially melt into the sauce). This version omits the anchovies in favor of salmon, which stays firm and makes for a heartier dish."
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled Salmon and Fish Recipes by cjs (Well, till others co...)
I'm loving the one with the balsamic glaze! The puttanesca sounds very interesting. I wasn't sure about it until I read the part about the salmon in place of the anchovies...then it made sense. Thanks for adding on, Jean!
Daphne
  Re: Re: Grilled Salmon and Fish Recipes by Gourmet_Mom (I'm loving the one w...)
you be welcome.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Grilled Salmon and Fish Recipes by cjs (you be welcome....)
ooooo, I am so glad Jean posted the balsamic glaze recipe. I made a salmon dish once that was very similar to that and it included carmelized onions. We loved it, but I could not for the life of me remember where that recipe came from. I think I can adapt this.

There is one in the C@H cookbook for two that has an orange glaze that is wonderful as well. Let me know if you want that recipe posted.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!