Splendid Soups and Spectacular Sides Book
  Re: (...)
Hello All,

What soups and sides have been your favorite from this book?

I just made the Wild Mushroom Soup recipe and oh my! It is very tasty, even though I elected to double the soy sauce/cornstarch slurry, because I like my 'shrooms in a thick, creamy sauce. And I'm thinking that I could use a whole cup of cream as well, but we'll not go there.

I need to start making some soups for my mom to lighten her load. And I'll be hard pressed to save more than a quart from this batch of the recipe.

I'm also looking at the Turkey (or chicken) Tortellini soup. Has anyone done that one?

And if you've ever frozen one of the soups you made, how did it fair in the thaw?

TIA,

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Splendid Soups and Spectacular Sides Book by BarbaraS (Hello All,[br][br]Wh...)
Hi,

I have made most of them. All were very good. Just depends on what you are in a mood for.
  Re: Re: Splendid Soups and Spectacular Sides Book by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]I have ma...)
I have made a few - but not frozen any.

Chicken Mulligatawny - it was ok.
Sausage Minestra - Very good
Baked Potato Soup - good
Cheeseburger soup - good - kids loved it
Lasagna Soup - very good

I have found that anything with a small pasta (orzo) or barley, I would pull out the portion I want to freeze before adding this and just add to what I am eating now. I think they get too mushy in the freeze/thaw.

I freeze taco soup, chicken tortilla soup and tomato soup all the time with no ill effects.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Splendid Soups and Spectacular Sides Book by esgunn (I have made a few - ...)
These are the ones I've made - I seem to freeze anything/everything, so probably these also.

Black Bean soup & spiced pork kebobs (very good)
Butternut Squash Soup & sausage-apple empanadas (wonderful)
Split pea with ham (great) with crab salad wraps (awful)
Poblano Corn Chowder with crab toasts (wonderful)
Lasagna soup (very good)with spiced Parmesan twists (wonderful)
Baked Potato soup & tomato relish (wonderful)
Cheeseburger Soup with shoestring fries (very good) and chopped salad (so-so)

We really like this book.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Splendid Soups and Spectacular Sides Book by cjs (These are the ones I...)
I've made many of the ones already mentioned. I wish I could do the wild mushroom recipe, but YS hates mushrooms and a variety are not available close by. Like Jean, I freeze pretty much all my soups, except for the Lasagna Soup...it gets gone quickly!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.