Crème Brule French Toast
  Re: (...)
My inlaws came to visit over the holidays and stayed at one of the B&B's nearby. The owner graciously invited hubby and I to join them for breakfast one of the mornings. She served us Crème Brule French Toast and it was amazing. I asked her if she had a cookbook with the recipe and sure enough, she did so I just had to buy one. Here is the recipe for this delightful dish:

Crème Brule French Toast
Serves 6 (to make for two, simply divide ingredients by three but do not reduce the caramel sauce unless you also reduce the size of your pan.

Caramel Sauce

Melt 1 stick butter
Stir in1 cup packed brown sugar and 2 tbsp corn syrup.
Spread on bottom of a cookie sheet. Cookie sheet should have sides, such as a jelly roll pan. Save clean up time by lining the pan with aluminum foil.

Crème
Mix 9 eggs, 2 1/2 cups half and half, 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp triple sec.(can substitute orange or almond extract) and ¼ tsp of salt.

Bread
When served at The Queen, we start with a home made French bread baked in a round loaf pan. When using a smaller loaf of bread you may need to use two slices to form your heart. Soak the bread in the egg and milk mixture until saturated. Lay soaked bread hearts on top of the caramel sauce. Cut a small V on one side to form the top of the heart and pinch the opposite two sides together to form the bottom point on the heart.

Bake and Serve
Bake 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
Serve caramel side up and top with a fresh flower, fresh fruit or shaved chocolate for a garnish.

To save more time for romance, this recipe can be prepared the night before and refrigerated until time to bake.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Crème Brule French Toast by chef_Tab (My inlaws came to vi...)
Oh Man. You just had to share didn't you.

Looks so good!
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: Crème Brule French Toast by esgunn (Oh Man. You just ha...)
WHOA!!!

This does sound something that Peter would absolutely go nuts for!!! (UNFORTUNATELY!!!! )

Now to hide this thread before he sees it!!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Crème Brule French Toast by Roxanne 21 (WHOA!!![br][br]This ...)
Good Lord Theresa!!! And I thought I was going to be good for a while
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Crème Brule French Toast by cjs (Good Lord Theresa!!!...)
Oh dear! I knew I shouldn't have looked!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Crème Brule French Toast by Gourmet_Mom (Oh dear! I knew I s...)
Wow. Just... wow.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: Crème Brule French Toast by chef_Tab (My inlaws came to vi...)
Oh, dear Lord - I have gone to Heaven - how delicious is that????? Thanks for posting the recipe, Theresa
  Re: Re: Crème Brule French Toast by (Oh, dear Lord - I ha...)
Yes, it was all that and a bag of chips. As was the fruit salad served in some sort of coconut amaretto cream sauce. No syrup or anything was necessary. Can't wait to try making it myself.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Crème Brule French Toast by chef_Tab (Yes, it was all that...)
Well crap there goes our diet I just read the title to Derek and he's in the kitchen yelling "call out the ingredients..yep...yep...yep..cool got it all!"
  Re: Re: Crème Brule French Toast by DFen911 (Well crap there goes...)
Go Derek, go Derek!!!!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com