How Do You Handle...
  Re: (...)
Lettie Teague (from F&W) has an article about how to handle taking wine to a party in Dec. issue.

Do you take a bottle hoping it will be part of the offering during the evening?

Take a bottle for the hosts to keep for later?

When we take a bottle or receive a bottle, it's our assumption it is to be enjoyed that evening. The only exception is when a guest tells us it is a special bottle and they would love to have us age it in our cellar. Then, naturally it disappears.

Next, was the question, how expensive a bottle (or inexpensive) do you take?

What drives me up the wall, is when someone hands me a bottle of wine and says, "I got you this wine; I don't know if it's any good."

Has anyone ever received a bottle of wine from a guest that was already opened and some gone from it????

Just thought I'd toss this out to everyone and see what comes back.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: How Do You Handle... by cjs (Lettie Teague (from ...)
Quote:

Has anyone ever received a bottle of wine from a guest that was already opened and some gone from it????

Seriously???? Well, now that I think of it, there are some pretty odd people out there.

I usually have a selection of wines out when I have a party (chosen to go with the food being served), so I will ask the person who gives it if I should open it now or save it for later. Most often they will tell me to save it unless what is already open is used before the party is over. Or a few times I've been told to hide it, that it's special just for DH and me.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
Quote:

Lettie Teague (from F&W) has an article about how to handle taking winde to a party in Dec. issue.

Apparently, you've been taking some already.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: How Do You Handle... by labradors ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
do you ever sleep, Labs?????
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: How Do You Handle... by cjs (do you ever sleep, L...)
LOL! Get'im Jean!

Sadly, I have never had somebody bring wine for dinner.

I can not IMAGINE what kind of person would bring an opened bottle of wine. DUH!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: How Do You Handle... by cjs (do you ever sleep, L...)
Jean, I have read (Ms Manners I think) that when you bring a bottle of wine to someone's home, they are not under any obligation to serve it. I understand in the case of someone who has carefully chosen wine pairings. I kind of resent it when I know the hostess has terrible taste, so I bring something I would enjoy, and it gets put away. So if my guests bring a bottle, I always offer to open it and also tell them what I have so that they can choose.

I am somewhat flabbergasted when a guest takes back home the half empty bottle. And yes this has happened.

As an aside, over Christmas we were invited to a friends home for dinner. Her husband is a wine maker runs a local vineyard. I did not even dare to bring wine, so instead, for a hostess gift I packaged up a bottle of vanilla vodka, a fancy chocolate syrup, a four pack of microbrewed rootbeer, and the recipe for drunken floats. It was well received.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: How Do You Handle... by Gourmet_Mom (LOL! Get'im Jean![b...)
I usually take wine as a hostess gift and make no assumption about whether it should be consumed that evening or not. It's the host's call.

Many of our guests that come over for dinner will bring wine. Some have compatible tastes as us, some don't. Anyway on NYE we had an open house and one of the guests brought a bottle of wine that the told us they were regifting - a chardonnay. I put it in the ice bucket with the other whites and it never got opened. I hadn't seen the brand before and looked it up the next day. It was a $3 bottle! Hope it's okay to even cook with. My son says you shouldn't cook with a wine you wouldn't drink!
When the girls come over for lunch or whatever, we drink what they bring. At Christmas or Thanksgiving, or another holiday, if wine is offered, I simply place it with all the other wine. Unless it's in a gift bag, then I put it aside. So, I guess it's understood now, amongst my crowd, that gift wrap means "save for later".

Must have trained them right

PJ

An OPENED bottle of wine???? Only the girlfriends can get away with this one cause we don't care...
PJ
We treat it as a hostess gift and put it aside, unless it happens to go well with the food--our choice. We usually take a $20 bottle unless the circumstances require a change. Bringing an open bottle would only work at a guys poker party--when everyone else was drinking beer!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: How Do You Handle... by HomeCulinarian (I usually take wine ...)
" Anyway on NYE we had an open house and one of the guests brought a bottle of wine that the told us they were regifting - a chardonnay. I put it in the ice bucket with the other whites and it never got opened. I hadn't seen the brand before and looked it up the next day. It was a $3 bottle!" You are KIDDING! How TACKY! I don't think I would even cook with it Jeanette.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.