My First Mushroom Foray
  Re: (...)
HI,

Yesterday I joined Santa Cruz Fungus Federation and went on my first foray. All I can tell you is that it was amazingly fun experience and I cannot wait for the next one in two weeks. I took a few pictures. The first one is of the mushrooms I pickled yesterday. The 2nd and 3rd pictures are the mushrooms we are eating today for dinner.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/127/img...161807.jpg
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/7384/...171622.jpg
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8277/im...171622.jpg
  Re: My First Mushroom Foray by piano226 (HI,[br][br]Yesterday...)

What a great adventure - I would love to go on a foray - In the Midwest

where I come from - Everyone had there favorite spot to get the Morels

We had lots of other types but I didn't know of anyone well versed in the

different types - so I never picked them.

I find the Morels in the Spring time at Pike Place Market now for $25.00 a

pound. We used to find so many we would give them away.

Enjoy your catch.

Marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.
  Re: Re: My First Mushroom Foray by mjkcooking ([br]What a great adv...)
OH MY! How I would love to have access to stuff like that.
Be sure to let us know all the different ways you cook them too
Cis
Empress for Life
  Re: Re: My First Mushroom Foray by farnfam (OH MY! [img]/ubbthr...)
Boy, mention mushrooms, especially morels, here. I am going to have to figure out if we have morels here. Yummmm.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: My First Mushroom Foray by farnfam (OH MY! [img]/ubbthr...)
HI,

Well I pickled one platter and the leader of the group told us to just saute the rest in some butter or butter substitute, so thats what I did. There were delicious.
  Re: Re: My First Mushroom Foray by piano226 (HI,[br][br]Well I pi...)
Oh my, don't those just look delicious!! I'm so envious, Marina. There is quite a mushroom society up here and we should really look into joining them and learning.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: My First Mushroom Foray by cjs (Oh my, don't those j...)
How cool! I wouldn't try to foray around here, but I've been tempted to try growing my own, using this information, but just haven't tried it yet. Now I'm tempted even more!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: My First Mushroom Foray by labradors (How cool! I wouldn'...)
Anybody that has a fungus federation in their area should try going on a foray. The guys were incredible, knew every mushroom out there and their habitat and how to identify them. There was kind of a funny scene ...so one of the people brought this kind of a pink/red mushroom (you can see it on my picture), and I knew it was edible mushroom and I remember picking a ton of them and my grandmother pickling them, so the leader of the group says...well this is rosalea mushroom and there is two types one has a very peppery taste and one does not, we as americans do not eat the peppery kind but if you get a russian or other slavic in your group give it to them, they pickle them and love them. And I went...YEP better believe it.