Hush Puppies for Jean
  Re: (...)
This recipe is from "Princess Pamela's Soul Food Cookbok". I think these are the best hush puppies in the world. I used to make them to go with the fried smelt. The cookbook opens to this recipe by its' self.

Hush Puppies

2 cups corn meal
1 tablespoon flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 egg, well beaten
1 c buttermilk

Combine the dry ingredients. Add the egg, then the buttermilk, and mix well. Shape into little cakes or drop by the tablespoonful into deep hot fat. Fry until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and serve very hot. Makes about 1 1/2 doz.

Everyone loved these - so good.

You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Hush Puppies for Jean by Harborwitch (This recipe is from ...)
Shall have to try these. I love hushpuppies (go figure - I love all puppies: I'm a lab!). Not sure of the recipes for the hushpuppies I've consumed in the past, but all the ones I've ever had tasted like they had poultry seasoning (or at least sage) in them. This one does not.

Just did a quick search about it, and it may be regional. Many recipes did NOT mention poultry seasoning, but the recipes that did seemed to be tied to New Orleans.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Hush Puppies for Jean by labradors (Shall have to try th...)
thanks, Sharon - I'll give these a try. Still haven't had any luck with Ed's recipe. The best I've ever tasted.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Hush Puppies for Jean by labradors (Shall have to try th...)
You know, I'll have to try this. I have never been successful at making hushpuppies. Sad, when you think about where I live AND the fact that Dad was an expert...even had a "dropper" for catering gigs.

In NC there are two kinds of hushpuppies: round/dense and long/thin/light. I prefer the long kind, because they're crunchier and most often have minced or grated onion in them. My question is, which kind are these?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Hush Puppies for Jean by Gourmet_Mom (You know, I'll have ...)
I suppose it depends on how you shape them. I'd bet some grated onion & a little cayenne would kick them up a bit. I first got this cookbook when a little can of cayenne would last me forever Geeze now we use a ton of it.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!