Review: Penne w/Cauliflower and Creme Fraiche
  Re: (...)
Oh my, this is one delicious dish that would be wonderful served to a dinner party. The recipe calls for Comte cheese (which was one of our cheese selections for this month) but it also says you can sub 1/2 Gruyere/1/2 Fontina also. And it was excellent with Bill's favorite - an Oregon Pinot Noir. This is so good - thank God I just made 1/2 the recipe and there are still leftovers to fight over. I used it as the entree, but at a dinner party I'll bet it would be wonderful with a prime rib. It's an Epicurious recipe.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cheesy Baked Penne with Cauliflower and Crème Fraîche - Comte Cheese

1 to 1 3/4-pound head of cauliflower -- cored, cut into 1-inch florets
2 large heirloom tomatoes ( No more heirlooms, so used 2 large Romas for 1/2 the recipe)
5 tablespoons butter -- divided
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
Coarse kosher salt
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 cup heavy whipping cream
3 cups coarsely grated Comté cheese (or half Gruyère and half Fontina -- about 9 ounces), divided
3/4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano -- finely grated Parmesan cheese, divided
1 cup crème fraîche*
1 tablespoon whole grain Dijon mustard
10 ounces penne (3 1/2 cups)
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (from crustless French bread ground in processor)

Cook cauliflower in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Using large sieve, transfer cauliflower to bowl. Add tomatoes to pot; cook 1 minute. Remove from water; peel and dice tomatoes. Reserve pot of water.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add cauliflower; sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and green onions. Cook 1 minute to blend flavors. Remove from heat.

Season with coarse salt and pepper.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add flour and stir 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in cream. Cook until sauce thickens, whisking occasionally, about 4 minutes.

Add 2 cups Comté cheese; whisk until melted and sauce is smooth. Whisk in 1/2 cup Parmesan, then crème fraîche and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.

Return reserved pot of water to boil. Add pasta and cook until tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain; return pasta to same pot. Stir in cauliflower mixture and sauce.

Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Spoon in half of pasta mixture; sprinkle with 1/2 cup Comté cheese. Top with remaining pasta mixture and 1/2 cup Comté cheese. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in small skillet. Add breadcrumbs and toss to coat. Remove from heat; mix in 1/4 cup Parmesan.

Sprinkle crumbs over pasta. DO AHEAD: Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake pasta uncovered until heated through and bubbling, about 35 minutes.

Description:
"Cauliflower is a nice surprise and crème fraîche adds some tanginess to this inventive version of macaroni and cheese."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Review: Penne w/Cauliflower and Creme Fraiche by cjs (Oh my, this is one d...)
Jean that DOES sound gooood! I will have to get some more cauliflower this week! My daughter LOVES cauliflower. I can see this one being a favorite of hers.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Review: Penne w/Cauliflower and Creme Fraiche by cjs (Oh my, this is one d...)
So I roasted my cauliflower last night and today you post this . . . . . I could have just roasted half and saved the rest for this - sounds to die for!
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Review: Penne w/Cauliflower and Creme Fraiche by Harborwitch (So I roasted my caul...)
(that's what I did.... )
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: Penne w/Cauliflower and Creme Fraiche by cjs ((that's what I did.....)
Thanks, Jean. His 40 days of no meat eating is fast approaching, and this will be great. We usually have those two cheeses in the house.
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
  Re: Re: Review: Penne w/Cauliflower and Creme Fraiche by luvnit (Jean that DOES sound...)
OHHH!!!! YUMMM!!!!! Nice recipe---gotta do something with the cheeses though----but then again-------can't spoil something that sounds sooooo good!!!!

I will pick up my cauliflower on Thursday and definitely indulge!!

Thanks Jean!!
"Never eat more than you can lift" Miss Piggy
  Re: Re: Review: Penne w/Cauliflower and Creme Fraiche by Roxanne 21 (OHHH!!!! YUMMM!!!!...)
well, well, folks are checking in again!! Welcome back to both of you!!
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Review: Penne w/Cauliflower and Creme Fraiche by cjs (well, well, folks ar...)
I know, first Lorraine, now Roxanne! Hi ladies! Welcome back!

Jean this sounds awesome! I think this will have to be an indulgence for Valentine's or birthday dinners next month. We're trying to be good.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Review: Penne w/Cauliflower and Creme Fraiche by Gourmet_Mom (I know, first Lorrai...)
Hopefully we'll get off the farm Thursday and I can get another cauliflower - I wonder, Jean, could this be made with frozen???? Sometimes cauliflower is so freakin' expensive here and frozen is cheaper.
You only live once . . . but if you do it right once should be enough!
  Re: Re: Review: Penne w/Cauliflower and Creme Fraiche by Harborwitch (Hopefully we'll get ...)
well, "they" do sell frozen cauliflower, so why not???? Worth a try.
www.achefsjourney.com