Appetizer Ideas... please?
  Re: (...)
Well tonight my mother is taking the kids overnight (date night!). My hubby went out and already got a bottle of our favorite wine. I wanted to make 2-3 appetizers for us to graze over. I need ideas for appetizers.

I was hoping for maybe a steak appetizer recipe.

I saw a show the other day with Robin Miller and she made a recipe that looked so easy and so good. I will share the recipe and report and results after date night.

Coconut Shrimp with Curried Tomato, Lime and Roasted Garlic Coulis
Ingredients
For the coconut shrimp:
•1 large egg
•2/3 cup beer
•1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
•3/4 cup all-purpose flour, divided
•2 cups flaked coconut
•24 large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
•2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, preferably canola

For the garlic coulis:
•1/3 cup roasted garlic, divided
•2 beefsteak tomatoes, chopped
•2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
•1 teaspoon curry powder
•Salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the coconut shrimp:
Directions
In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, beer, baking powder and 1/2 cup of the flour. Place remaining 1/4 cup flour in a shallow dish. Place coconut in a separate shallow dish. Dredge shrimp in flour and shake off excess. Dunk shrimp in beer mixture and turn to coat. Roll shrimp in coconut until all sides are coated.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and cook 2 minutes per side, until cooked through or opaque.

For the garlic coulis:

In a food processor, combine 1/2 of the roasted garlic cloves (about 1/3 cup), tomatoes, lime juice, and curry powder. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

Serve shrimp with the coulis on the side. Reserve second 1/2 of garlic (about 1/3 cup) for another recipe.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Appetizer Ideas... please? by luvnit (Well tonight my moth...)
Roast Beef & Watercress Involtini

Makes 32 rolls--
1 & 1/2 T extra virgin olive oil
1 & 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
1 & 1/2 C (packed) watercress sprigs
3/4 C finely shreaded red cabbage
1/4 C very thinly sliced red onion
salt and freshly ground pepper
16 slices of rare roast beef such as Boars Head (med slice)
Pesto for garnishing

In a med bowl whisk the oil and lemon juice. Add the next three ingredients and salt & pepper and toss to mix. Take each piece of meat and place some salad (to taste) on the short end, roll into a tight cylinder. Slice the roll in half on a diagonal, garnish with pesto.
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Appetizer Ideas... please? by Old Bay (Roast Beef & Watercr...)
That sounds so easy! and pretty!
Laura
  Re: Re: Appetizer Ideas... please? by luvnit (That sounds so easy!...)
Here's my favorite coconut shrimp and boy, wouldn't it go with the garlic coulis!!! Thanks Laura!

COCONUT SHRIMP

1 pound large shrimp
1/2 cup dry sherry
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup flaked coconut
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs (Panko)
Vege oil for frying
3 cups hot cooked basmati rice
Mango (or Peach) chutney

Peel shrimp, leaving tail shell; devein; butterfly.
Combine sherry & curry powder; marinate shrimp in sherry mixture in frig. 30 min.

Combine 1/2 c. flour, cornstarch, b.powder, & milk in small bowl; stir till batter is thin & smooth.
Combine coconut & bread crumbs.

Coat shrimp in remaining 3/4 c. flour, than batter, then coconut mixture.
Let stand 20 min. before cooking

Heat 1 inch oil to 350 degrees in heavy pan w/3-inch side rim. Fry shrimp till golden.
Drain on paper towels.
Serve shrimp on rice w/chutney.

----

Anxious to hear how you like both when you make them.

P.S.have added the coulis recipe to my coconut shrimp - might have to do this on our trip!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Appetizer Ideas... please? by cjs (Here's my favorite c...)
Ya know, I wondered about that combo myself Jean. I have been trying to wrap my mind around it. On the show, she roasts the garlic to bring out the sweetness and thus... whatever. The coulis recipe gets mixed reviews from cooks and that was actually a complaint several people had. I think I will try yours instead. I mean people like the coulis, just not with the shrimp.
Laura
  Re: Re: Appetizer Ideas... please? by luvnit (Ya know, I wondered ...)
I'm sure I'm too late, but....William's favorite is a variety of meats and cheeses (especially the cheeses) with fresh bread, fancy crackers, and fruit. Wasn't there something about some roasted grapes or something on here recently?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Appetizer Ideas... please? by Gourmet_Mom (I'm sure I'm too lat...)
Here's something I saw on Cook Like a Chef (from the Canadian branch of the Food Network): it could be used as an appetiser or a garnish, and it sounds fascinating. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a written recipe anywhere (not even on the show's site), but this doesn't really need very specific measurements, anyway.

First, combine some flour, a little bit of salt and some cold beer to make a beer batter.

Next, heat up some oil, for deep frying, until a sage leaf dipped into it bubbles and sizzles.

Hold a WHOLE sage leaf in your hand, spread some tapenade onto it, then top with another sage leaf. Press down lightly, but enough to make it all stick together as a "sandwich," wiping away any excess from around the edges.

Holding the "sandwich" by the leaf stems, gently dredge it in the beer batter until well coated, ending by holding it with the leaves pointing straight down into the bowl to allow excess batter to run off.

Carefully transfer the "sandwich" from the bowl into the oil and fry until you have a golden Sage Fritter.

Repeat for the quantity desired.

Drain the cooked fritters on paper towels before serving.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?