Bill's Sour Cherry Pie
  Re: (...)
Oh my, is this a delicious filling. I used it for a President's Day dinner menu with a little tweeking and we (and the neighbors that shared it just loved it!) Bill posted it a long time ago, but I had not made it before.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Sour Cherry Pie - Old Bay (Bill)

Make your own pie dough, or use the one from Cuisine Vol 22--very user friendly--can be used for miniature shells even!!

Filling:
9.5 Deep dish cherry pie
3 cans red tart cherries in water (Oregon Fruit Products if possible)
Drain cherries, reserve juice--should have about 2 C.

Combine scant 1/2 C corn starch with 1 & 1/4 C sugar in med sauce pan. Whisk in reserved juice. Cook over med heat stirring constantly until thickened, about 5-6 min.

Remove from heat & stir in 1/2 t almond extract, 1/4C Kirsch (optional, but it makes the pie!), a few drops red food color, and stir in cherries. Place in unbaked pie crust, dot with butter, put on lattice top, and brush with 1/2 & 1/2.

Bake at 400 for 30-40 min until golden brown. May have to cover edges with foil to prevent over browning.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"(optional, but it makes the pie!)," - and this is so true!!

I made a cobbler with the filling rather than a pie. If you haven't tried this one yet, you might think about it.

Thanks Bill!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie by cjs (Oh my, is this a del...)
Well, I didn't get the cherry brandy, but I DID use regular brandy. It was really good, but I wish I'd made it as a cobbler. I like regular cherry pie/cobbler, but it's soooo sweet. This is more to my liking...very tart and YUMMY!

The lattice top was pretty, but I LOVE pie crust. So, I'll be making this again with cherry brandy and more crust....but only when someone's here to take home the leftovers...LOL! Baby Girl's friends are getting a real treat tonight! (I did save one slice for my lunch box tomorrow though....LOL!

Thanks for the recipe, Bill and Jane!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
What is kirsch? I don't think I have ever heard of that.
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie by luvnit (What is kirsch? I d...)
It's short for Kirschwasser (literally "cherry water" in German), and is a cherry brandy.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie by labradors (It's short for [i]Ki...)
and if you can find it, be sure to try it!!! wonderful.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie by cjs (and if you can find ...)
Thanks Labs!

And thanks for sharing the recipe Jean. In the past I haven't really cared for anything with cherries in it. But I am starting to like them now. I think I will try this. Definitely with some vanilla ice cream!
Laura
  Re: Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie by luvnit (Thanks Labs![br][br]...)
Actually. Kirsch is great on vanilla ice cream all by itself. Great stuff.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
We're going Up North this coming weekend with my MIL and FIL. I think I will make this and bring it up with some good vanilla ice cream.

For the pie, I think I will do a lattice top. If it turns out lovely, I will take a pic for you all.

Jean, you said you made this for a President's day dinner. For just you and Roy. Or did you cater something?
Laura
  Re: Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie by luvnit (We're going Up North...)
Just for us, but it was so good, we split it with the neighbors so we wouldn't eat it all!!! Hope you all enjoy it as much.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Bill's Sour Cherry Pie by cjs (Just for us, but it ...)
I hope you have better luck finding the Kirsch than I did. As a matter of fact, the other day, I was at a different liquor store and the guy looked in the book where he orders from the state. Kirsch is not listed...at all. So until I make a run to Myrtle Beach, I won't be able to get any...and that's no guarantee. I made mine with regular brandy and it was very good!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.