Wine Recommendation
  Re: (...)
Yesterday hubby and I attended a premium Spanish wine tasting. We sampled 6 wines, only one of which was white. All of the wines were wonderful, but there was one that stood out so much I feel compelled to share it with you. Maybe many of you already know about this one. It is called "Bodegas El Nido 2007 Clio Jumilla". I think it is the most delicious wine I have ever tasted! It has such a wow factor and would be great with a juicy steak. I have no idea how available it is, but I am pretty sure not at all in Pennsylvania. Silly rules.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Wine Recommendation by chef_Tab (Yesterday hubby and ...)
Shall have to look and see if that's available here.

That reminds me: I have a wine question.

In the store, the other day, I saw a bottle of Torres 2006 Tempranillo. Since I've never tried Tempranillo, but know how much it has been praised by several people here, I almost bought it right away, but then I noticed, as I read the label on the back, that it was actually a blend of Tempranillo and Cabernet Sauvignon (though mostly Tempranillo).

To the Tempranillo fans on this board, I ask: Should I get this? What is your opinion of this one, if you've tried it?

Thanks.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation by labradors (Shall have to look a...)
Rob, I am not familiar with that particular wine, but two of the wines we tasted yesterday were tempranilla blends. One was 60% Cab and 40% Tempranillo and it was amazing. I rated it 17 out of 20. The people sitting on either side of me rated it even higher. I am sure the more knowledgeable people will weigh in eventually. My guess is with the higher tempranillo percentage, it could be even better.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation by chef_Tab (Rob, I am not famili...)
Buy it, Labs! We love Tempranillos and Spanish are the best - with Washington coming up fast behind them!! (Oregon's is not bad either)

Theresa, darn, I couldn't find the wine or winery when I googled "Bodegas El Nido 2007 Clio Jumilla". Altough something came up about Gig Harbor, so maybe somewhere there will have it and we get to Gig Harbor every so often and will look for it. Thanks for mentioning it.

Perseverance pays off!! I found info on it and it just sounds delicious will definitely look for it for a special buy!

Clio is 30% Cab and 70% Monastrell (from 63-year-old vines) - I've not heard of Monastrell before.

http://www.englewoodwinemerchants.com/pr...ductID=204
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation by cjs (Buy it, Labs! We lov...)
Jumilla is a wine growing region in Spain. Monastrel is their principle grape. It is almost always blended with another grape--I've had some and really liked it.

Tempranillo is the principle grape of the Rioja region of spain and is the main grape in "Rioja"--one of the really good wines of the world. It stands alone or can be blended. I've had some Washington State Tempranillo--it is really quite good!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation by Old Bay (Jumilla is a wine gr...)
" I've had some Washington State Tempranillo--it is really quite good!" yes, you have.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation by cjs (" I've had some Wash...)
Thanks, Theresa and Jean. Next time I'm at that store, I'll give it a try.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation by labradors (Thanks, Theresa and ...)
Oh, Rob, I think you should get it, also. The one I've been picking up when in the city is a blend, also, and we really like it. I'm beginning to think a 100% Tempranillo is rare in these parts.

Thanks for the recommendation, Theresa. I'll keep an eye out for that blend. It sounds like something we would like.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation by Gourmet_Mom (Oh, Rob, I think you...)
It'll be a special buy, Daphne - $40 something a bottle.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: Wine Recommendation by cjs (It'll be a special b...)
I saw that...LOL! BTW, did you by chance do a search for just Monastrell to see what other brands may be available?

Good Glory!!!!! When I did a search I found the one you found, plus a couple more. The others were Cab blends and went from 60 to 126+!!! I guess that's out. But I sure would love to try one of those Bodegas El Nido for 120+.

WOW, Theresa...Did you ever land yourself in a fabulous new location! JUST WOW!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.