OT- Labs, so what'd ya think of the hockey game???
  Re: (...)
How fun it was!

I couldn't decide which side to cheer on-- Canada's captain is "our" captain (Pgh Penguins) Sidney Crosby, but USA's Ryan Malone (former Pen) is from Pittsburgh.

So about 3/4 through the third period (USA 1 CAN 2), DH asked what I wanted to happen as a result and I replied "a quick US goal so Crosby can get a gold medal for Canada.".

If I were a gambling type, I'd go out and buy a lottery ticket today.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com
  Re: OT- Labs, so what'd ya think of the hockey game??? by foodfiend (How fun it was![br][...)
As far as NHL teams go, I'm a die-hard, TRUE fan of the Boston Bruins, since I grew up there during the Bobby Orr/Phil Esposito era. When I say "TRUE" fan, I mean that I stick by the team even when they are losing, but I do NOT think, "we're the best no matter what anyone else says." In other words, I'm more than willing to acknowledge good performances, even when those I prefer are defeated.

That said, I thought it was a great game and did, as well, have difficulty choosing sides since, even though I'm American, I'm a HUGE fan of Crosby. What a player!

The progress and outcome of the game couldn't have been scripted any better. It was almost like one of the old baseball (yuck!) stories from Boy's Life magazine, where the protagonist would hit the winning home run at EXACTLY the right moment. Nobody watching could have asked for a better end to the game and the Olympics, themselves.

You called it well, but if I were a gambling type, I would NOT buy a lottery ticket today, since I would figure that the lightning had already struck once.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: OT- Labs, so what'd ya think of the hockey game??? by labradors (As far as NHL teams ...)
Quote:

I stick by the team even when they are losing, but I do NOT think, "we're the best no matter what anyone else says."

It was difficult to think of the Penguins as anywhere near the best from the mid-90's through about 3-4 years ago, but we went to the games anyway.

Quote:

The progress and outcome of the game couldn't have been scripted any better. It was almost like one of the old baseball (yuck!) stories from Boy's Life magazine, where the protagonist would hit the winning home run at EXACTLY the right moment. Nobody watching could have asked for a better end to the game and the Olympics, themselves.

One of the sports announcers for a local tv station said almost the same thing, and it's so true.

And Crosby gets a Stanley Cup ring and an Olympic gold medal within 9 months of each other. That should also be in the script!

We are going to the Pens/Sabres game on Tuesday and there will likely be a big to-do over Crosby and the other 4 who were in the Olympics. I just hope that the Ryan Miller, the Buffalo goalie, gets a round of applause, too.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: OT- Labs, so what'd ya think of the hockey game??? by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
Ryan Miller, MVP--Here, Here,!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: OT- Labs, so what'd ya think of the hockey game??? by Old Bay (Ryan Miller, MVP--He...)
Pittsburgh fans usually seem to be gracious enough that I'll be surprised if they don't cheer Miller. Can't say that about fans of other teams, necessarily. Certainly couldn't say that about the Flyers' fans during the time we lived in the Philadelphia area (don't know if that has changed after 30 years).
  Re: Re: OT- Labs, so what'd ya think of the hockey game??? by Old Bay (Ryan Miller, MVP--He...)
Quote:

Ryan Miller, MVP--Here, Here,!!

I hadn't heard that-- great choice!

Rob, Jagr would hardly call Pens fans "gracious"
Vicci

my cooking adventures
  Re: Re: OT- Labs, so what'd ya think of the hockey game??? by foodfiend ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
LOL! True. Maybe I've seen them mostly at better moments, or maybe it's just relative, considering what I remember about the Flyers' fans.

Remember Fred Shero? He had the best record of any Flyers' coach, even winning the Cup twice. Just a few years later, after he had become the coach of the Ranges, I was at the Rangers' first game in Philly with Shero as their coach. Aside from all the boos of the fans, the vendors in the stands were yelling out, "Warm beer, courtesy of Fred Shero." It was such a circus that I don't even remember who won that game. LOL!
  Re: Re: OT- Labs, so what'd ya think of the hockey game??? by labradors (LOL! True. Maybe I...)
I had just said, well, looks like the US won't get a gold this time...and WHAM, a goal. What a great game - all four of us were watching it out of the corners of our eyes!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: OT- Labs, so what'd ya think of the hockey game??? by cjs (I had just said, wel...)
Now that the Olympics are done, I think we can safely say that the Vancouver Olympic motto, instead of "With glowing hearts," should have been "Party on, Garth!"
  Re: Re: OT- Labs, so what'd ya think of the hockey game??? by cjs (I had just said, wel...)
Quote:

I had just said, well, looks like the US won't get a gold this time...and WHAM, a goal. What a great game - all four of us were watching it out of the corners of our eyes!

Yep, looking at the photos which Denise posted, the game was on! But you (and everyone else in the room) were most likely concentrating on the delicious meal and sparkling conversation!

Quote:

Now that the Olympics are done, I think we can safely say that the Vancouver Olympic motto, instead of "With glowing hearts," should have been "Party on, Garth!"

Okay, my ignorance is showing (and I hate that!). Rob, I've "googled" and still cannot determine what the Garth reference is to... help me?!