I got to cook at Spiaggia, Chicago!
  Re: (...)
Last Saturday, we went to an alumni event at Spiaggia with Chef Tony Mantuano and his staff. We didn't really know what to expect, but it was billed as interactive. The deal was, there was a Sous Chef assigned to each table and a cooking station. Volunteers from each table could cook. I did the first course, which was a sauteed shrimp dish with garlic, hot Italian peppers, rosemary, flamed with brandy and served with arugula. Second course was handmade gnocchi sauteed with butter and cheese, followed by gelato and cookies. There was also the sommelier there and three types of wine. Here are two photos, one of the set up and one of me cooking. Our table's Sous was Kenny... a really nice young man.

[Image: 25118_10100103313560610_1940219_55364215_8152574_n.jpg]

[Image: 25118_10100103312687360_1940219_55364208_7831325_n.jpg]

The event included a personally autographed copy of the chef's Wine Bar Food book.

Then after this lunch, we met our son's new girlfriend. She's really sweet and they seem to be happy together. Had drinks at the Signature Room, shopped a bit on Michigan Ave., then we went to see Blue Man Group, dinner was supposed to be at Cafe Ba Ba Ribba, but that didn't work out. We had Greek food at a neighborhood restaurant, instead. Then Sunday we spent the day at the Field Museum. I had so much fun!
  Re: I got to cook at Spiaggia, Chicago! by HomeCulinarian (Last Saturday, we we...)
You are so lucky!
"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time."
Laura
  Re: Re: I got to cook at Spiaggia, Chicago! by luvnit (You are so lucky!...)
What a cool weekend!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: I got to cook at Spiaggia, Chicago! by Gourmet_Mom (What a cool weekend!...)
Absolutely cool, and I'm a BIG fan of Blue Man Group, too!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
  Re: Re: I got to cook at Spiaggia, Chicago! by labradors (Absolutely cool, and...)
I would love to have been there!! You are sooo fortunate.!!
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
  Re: Re: I got to cook at Spiaggia, Chicago! by Old Bay (I would love to have...)
Wow that is COOL!! What a fun experience. I am so jealous!!!
  Re: I got to cook at Spiaggia, Chicago! by HomeCulinarian (Last Saturday, we we...)
How cool is that! What a great time you must have had. I wish we had events like that around here. Sounds like a wonderful day!

PJ
PJ
  Re: Re: I got to cook at Spiaggia, Chicago! by pjcooks (How cool is that! W...)
That must have been so much fun! Thanks for sharing.
  Re: Re: I got to cook at Spiaggia, Chicago! by karyn (That must have been ...)
Wow!! That is so cool!! So how did the shrimps you did turn out? What were the ingredients - were they measured or did you just do your thing?

Barbara
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Then find someone whose life has given them vodka.
  Re: Re: I got to cook at Spiaggia, Chicago! by BarbaraS (Wow!! That is so coo...)
Yes, I am lucky and grateful! When I found out that the guests would be cooking, I told Hubby I really wanted to volunteer. He encouraged me to go for it. So when they asked for volunteers, I asked my table mates "if anyone else was up for it...?" Then, they asked me to cook again, I really wanted to, but I didn't want to dominate and there was another fellow at the table that, with a little encouragement, stepped up. I thought it was interesting, though, that when the Executive Chef cruised through the dining room and saw that our gnocchi sauce broke down, they took the pan and dishes away and brought replacements, then pro Sous finished the second course that was served to our table.