St. Patrick's Day Ideas - Annual
  Re: (...)
Maybe we can keep adding to this thread year after year for more and new ideas.

CUISINE AT HOME ST. PATRICK'S DAY HISTORY

Here are ideas we’ve collected over the years here on the forum – I’m going to put all I can find in this thread and (I will mark my calendar with the title for next year) and post it up each February – how does that sound???

Here’s the first reference to Issue #62 from Meg –

mlucas1 /MEG: I'm going to make the Whiskey Glazed corned beef from issue #62 (I think some of the posters here made this last year and reviewed it...) I'll probably make the sweet and sour cabbage but not too sure about the whipped potato and parsnips. I'm not a huge fan of parsnips and I can't imagine how they would taste with whipped potatoes!

SDRecipeGirl/Lori – We had our St. Patty's Day dinner last night since hubby will be gone next week. I don't usually follow a recipe for corned beef. Our corned beef last night turned out the best I've ever made. It was fall-apart-in-your-mouth moist as can be!! Can't wait to have leftovers today. All I did was throw it in the crockpot with its juices, cover it with water & the spice packet, and threw in a bottle of Guinness. It simmered all day.

I made Cooking Light's Beer Baked Scalloped Potatoes- perfect. And I also made some stir-fried cabbage. No dessert- though I did made a Chocolate Guinness Cake the other day!!

esgunn /Erin – I made ours last night too. Steve left this morning for an 18 day trip. I used my usual recipe that I posted in the glazed corned beef post a week or so ago: Glazed Corned Beef .

It was so good. The kids loved it. Found out Stephanie does like brussel sprouts, but the boys don't. Steph and Nicky both had second helpings of meat, which is almost unheard of. I cooked mine in the crock pot too, and then glazed it in the oven. Could not have been easier.

pjcooks /PJ - Some beets and some turnip (I'm probably the only one left in the world who likes turnip) and you've got the makings of a great red flannel hash (another of my comfort foods).

I'm going with the whiskey glazed one again this year, it was so good last year. And, I made a pizza with the leftovers, a rye crust, some sauerkraut, swiss and a drizzle of 1000 Islands, it was great, just will add more cheese this year

mlucas1/meg - Here's the recipe, Lorraine!

Sweet and Sour Cabbage w/maple, bacon and lemon

Saute; Whisk in; Deglaze with:
4 strips thick-cut bacon
1 t. AP flour
2/3 c. dry wht. wine
2/3 c. apple cider vinegar
2 T. pure maple syrup
2 T. Dijon mustard
1/2 t. red pepper flakes

Pour over; Finish with
1 bag coleslaw mix
1 c. red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
Reserved bacon
salt and lemon juice to taste

Saute bacon in a saute panover med. heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Pour off all but 1 T. of drippings.

Whisk in flour; deglaze with wine. Add next five ingredients and simmer until slightly syrupy, 5 minutes.

Pour hot mixture over coleslaw and onion in a bowl; toss. Finish with remaining ingredients.

per 1/2 c.: 102 calories, 30% calories from fat; 3g total fat; 12g carbs;143 mg. sodium; 2 g. fiber; 2 g. protein

Gourmet_Mom /Daphne - DH LOVES reuben sammies, so I am thinking about making corned beef for the VERY FIRST TIME tomorrow. The recipe will be from "attie", a member of another forum shared by Jean last year. It's called "Kick-A$$ Corned Beef". I'll serve with cabbage and potatoes. The 'kraut will come in Monday when we do reubens with the leftover beef. Wish me luck!

bjcotton /Billy - or BBQ Corned Beef with sweet-hot whiskey glaze

* Exported from MasterCook *

Whiskey Glazed Corned Beef (BBQ Corned Beef)

SUBMERGE IN WATER; SIMMER
4 pounds corned beef brisket
Whisk Together:
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup whiskey (such as Jack Daniels)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Submerge corned beef, fat side up, in water in a large pot. Cover and simmer over low heat until beef is tender when pierced with a fork, 3 to 3 1/2 hours. (If chilling overnight, keep the meat in the liquid. Bring it to a simmer the next day, then continue with the recipe.)

Preheat oven to 450°; line a baking sheet with foil, top with a rack, and coat with nonstick spray. Transfer the cooked beef to the prepared rack, fat side up. Use a knife to trim off the fat--it will be soft and easy to remove.

Whisk remaining ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat until thickened, 3--4 minutes. Spoon glaze onto beef, then roast for 10 minutes, or until the glaze is dark and sticky. Remove from oven and let the meat rest for 15 minutes.

Transfer to a cutting bards, then thinly slice against the grain.

Source:
"CuisineAtHome, April 2007"

bjcotton /Billy - Yes, it suggests Mashed Potatoes and Parsnips, Sweet and Sour Cabbage...want those recipes?

Whipped Parsnips and Potatoes

Simmer; Drain
2 pounds parsnips, peeled -- thinly sliced
8 ounces Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled -- cut in 1" chunks
Add; Finish with
1 cup half and half -- warmed
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/4 cup)
1/2 cup scallions -- thinly sliced
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and freshly ground black pepper -- to taste

Simmer vegetables in water until very tender, 25 minutes. Drain, return them to the pot, and crush with a potato masher.

Add the half-and-half and butter; mix with a hand mixer on medium-high speed until smooth. Finish with remaining ingredients.

Source:
Yield:
"4 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sweet 'n Sour Cabbage with Maple, bacon, and lemon

Saute; Whisk in; Deglaze with:
4 strips thick-sliced bacon -- diced
1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
2/3 cup dry white wine
2/3 cup apple juice
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Pour over; Finish with:
1 bag coleslaw mix (16 oz)
1 cup red onion -- thinly sliced
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Reserved bacon
salt and lemon juice to taste

Saute bacon in a saute pan over medium heat until crisp. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; cour off all but 1 Tbs drippings.

Whisk in flour; deglaze with wine. Add apple juice, apple cider vinegar, pure maple syrup, Dijon mustard, and red pepper flakes and simmer until slightly syrupy, 5 minutes.

Pour hot mixture over coleslaw and onion in a bowl; toss. Finish with remaining ingredients.

Source:
Yield:
"4 cups"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Don't wait too long to tell someone you love them.

Billy

cjs /jean - I had fun last nite!! I deep fried six and baked (or oven fried) six - I liked them both, but what's not to like about deep fried. But, Roy preferred the oven baked - which was a good thing. Like PJ said, we all are trying to stay away from the fried...

Revised Hushpuppies recipe -

1/2 cup cornmmeal
1/2 cup a.p. flour
1/2 T. bakng powder
1/2 tsp. sugar
salt
big pinch cayenne
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 tsp. baking soda
---
1 egg
3 oz. milk
2 T. vegetable oil
2 T. saurkraut, chopped
~3 T. roasted kernal corn
----
small chunk of swiss (I had gruyere)
Mixed dry ingredients; mix wet ingredients and combined just till moistened.

Sprayed miniature muffin pans and put a dollop of batter in muffin pan; lay a cube of cheese and top with another dollop of batter sealing the edges.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...uppies.jpg

Baked at 425 for 15 minutes.

For the deep fried, the batter is pretty loose, so I used a rubber glove and put a dollop of batter in the palm of my hand; added the cube of cheese and another dollop on top and used the spoon to 'seal' the 'puppy'. Used a small off-set spatula to help slide off my hand into the oil - set at 350-360 - and fried till done.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...iesone.jpg

I served with the Gilroy Garlic Sweet mustard we picked up a couple weeks ago and of course, if it's fried I have to have Asian Sweet Chili sauce...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/cjd...iestwo.jpg

And I'm so pleased we liked the oven-baked also - will do this one again, but I'll play with it - like the idea of cheddar and jalapenoes.

Ron /Ron - I was also wondering whether the bread crumbs should be fresh or toasted. I went with toasted. The recipe said to be sure to cover the Swiss cheese, and I must have gone overboard because I wound up with only 16, not 24. Figuring they were probably larger than they should be, I lowered the cooking temp from the recommended 350 to 330 and cooked a minute longer so they would get done in the middle without getting burned on the outside.

I'm not a fan of deep frying either, so I might try baking next year too. I scooped batter with a portion scoop, shoved the cheese in, and then covered with more batter. Then I removed, hand-rolled and put in the refer to firm up. If your batter was too loose, did you remember to put in the refer the prescribed 15 minutes? I did mine after the cheese was inserted and left in the refer for 30+ minutes - almost no mess in the oil.

pjcooks /PJ - I left mine in the fridge all day. Maybe that's why I didn't have a problem w/looseness??? Will bake these next time, Thanks for that info, Jean!

I went w/fresh breadcrumbs, thinking the cornmeal and fresh would kind of balance each other. But I think the toasted would definately add another layer of flavor.

Brenda_Lee - Made these for the first time last weekend, and they were heavenly! The only problem I had was making the bread crumbs, and until I got a handle on that, I wasn't sure if I would ever make these again, even if they rocked. Well, they did rock, but let me tell you what we did.

Purchased the little mini rye breads (cocktail ones) and on the same day out of the package started toasting them four at a time in the toaster. Then took them out, broke them into little pieces and tried to process them in a mini food processor. When that proved to be not working that well, a friend arrived, and decided we should place them all on a baking sheet at 350, for say ten minutes. This proved to be the way to go, sidestepping the day old bread issue, and what could have been hours doing it my first way. I think it's definitely the right way to go with the rye bread crumbs. I can't imagine the panko tasting the same, and that's almost half of a reuben right there.

My boyfriend helped preparing all of the items while I struggled with the bread crumbs, and the only thing he didn't do right was chop the sauerkraut before it was all mixed together. Everything else (including the chill in the fridge) was exactly as we had read from the recipe. Oh, we used 2% milk, but I can't remember if he put in pickle juice versus sauerkraut. It's so small an amount, I doubt it could matter.

After chilling in the fridge for about 20 minutes, we formed them into 1-inch meatball-size round balls. I can't say anything bad about the consistency at all. It was absolutely perfect, with no soupy-ness noted at all and no residue anywhere in the fryer. Wish I had a photo.

We used a deep fryer with vegetable oil at the suggested temp, and right in between 3-4 minutes was when I fished them out. Some (but not a lot) of the cheese oozed out, so drying them on a paper towel was not going to work, since it would stick. So I just put them on a ceramic plate, and they cooled down a bit just in time to dip and eat. Yumm yumm yummm....I would totally do these again. But not all the time--they are a treat. I know I felt fat just looking at them.

Ron /Ron - I did mine in a 350* oven for 10 minutes, took them out, broke them and put them in my mini-chopper. They still seemed a bit moist so I put them in the (now off) oven for another 10 minutes. They had a really nice, strong rye taste. I don't have a deep fryer, and the recommended oil depth exceeded my Lodge, so I did them in my LeCreuset. They will definitely be a fixture next St. Patty's, and probably a time or two in between (love Reubens).

AND HERE WE HAVE IDEAS FROM 2009 –

cjs /Jean - Corned-Beef-and-Cabbage Pizza

For the toppings:
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil -- plus more for the pan
3 cups sliced green cabbage
Kosher salt
1 teaspoon pickling spices -- tied securely in cheesecloth
1 large potato -- peeled and thinly sliced
Freshly ground pepper
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
6 ounces sliced corned beef

(I'm using my own dough, so didn't copy the recipe for that - their amount was based on 3 cups flour/1 cup liquid)

Meanwhile, prepare the toppings: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the cabbage, season with salt and cook until just soft, about 5 minutes. Add the pickling spices and just enough water to cover.

Simmer over low heat, covered, until the cabbage is tender, about 20 minutes. Drain the cabbage and set aside (discard spices).

Place a pizza stone in the oven, if you have one, and preheat to 500 degrees.

Toss the potato with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in a single layer on a baking sheet until golden, about 15 minutes.

Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces. Roll one into a 14-inch round (keep the remaining dough covered). Place the round on a floured pizza peel (if baking on a stone) or a large oiled pizza pan; drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil.

Scatter half of each of the cheeses, corned beef, cabbage and potatoes on top. Season with salt and pepper.

Carefully slip the pizza onto the hot stone, if using, or place the pan in the oven. Cook until golden and crispy, 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.

Description:
"Recipe adapted from Penguin Pizza, Boston for Food Network Magazine"

Gourmet_Mom /Daphne - I was thinking I'd do Attie's Corned Beef recipe this year. Although, the urge to grill it is really strong! I'll be fixing the traditional cabbage and potatoes, but separately. Like Roxanne said, William LOVES reubens, so I'll be looking for the largest corned beef I can find!

labradors /Labs - Just have to have Soda Bread to go with the corned beef:

White Soda Bread

Ingredients:
4 cups (16 oz) of all purpose flour.
1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
14 oz of buttermilk

Instructions:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 F. degrees. Lightly crease and flour a cake pan.
2. In a large bowl sieve and combine all the dry ingredients.
3. Add the buttermilk to form a sticky dough. Place on floured surface and lightly knead (too much allows the gas to escape).
4. Shape into a round flat shape in a round cake pan and cut a cross in the top of the dough.
5. Cover the pan with another pan and bake for 30 minutes (this simulates the bastible pot). Remove cover and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
6. The bottom of the bread will have a hollow sound when tapped so show it is done.
7. Cover the bread in a tea towel and lightly sprinkle water on the cloth to keep the bread moist.
Important note from a great website about Soda Bread (source of the above recipe):
Quote:

If your "soda bread" has raisins, it's not "soda bread! It's called "Spotted Dog" or "Railway Cake"! If it contains raisins, eggs, baking powder, sugar or shortening, it's called "cake", not "bread." All are tasty, but not traditional Irish Soda Bread!

Also:
Quote:

"Corned Beef and Cabbage" is considered a traditional Irish dish now although it's really a traditional Irish-American meal created around 1900 when Irish immigrants substituted the cheaper corned beef for traditional Irish bacon (not the frying pan kind). I still enjoy both!

The creation of soda bread and "Corned Beef and Cabbage" came about not to celebrate St. Patrick's Day, but as a result of poverty.

You put the rinsed brisket on top of quartered red potatoes, carrots, and onions. Use the seasoning packet that comes with the roast plus some cloves, and black peppercorns and a little brown sugar. Pour 12 ounces of beer over the roast and add water to cover. cook on low for 9 to 11 hours. Remove the brisket and vegetables and turn up the cooker to high. Add cabbage wedges and cook them for 20-30 minutes or until crisp-tender. Serve with a nice mustard.

DFen911 /Denise - The only recipe needed -

12 Ounces of your favorite beer.
4-6 drops of green food coloring

Enjoy hahaha sorry couldn't resist

cjs /Jean - I'm doing Attie's Corned beef also - for the base and for sure Reubens, the pizza and corned beef hash...lookin' at a big one!! Daphne, I'm so sold on pillows of cheese, don't think I'd do any other way!

Bill - I love an Alsatian Pinot Blanc or Gris with Corned beef - but, also a zin or of course - Champagne!

Here's my bread for the day - I love to use it as a crust for a corned beef (or other type of) 'pie' also -

IRISH SODA BREAD

4 c a.p. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c superfine sugar
2 c. buttermilk

Oven to 425°. Lightly grease a 9" round cake pan or a 9 X 5" loaf pan.

Sift flour, b. soda, cream of tartar, & salt together into a loarge bowl.
Stir in the sugar.
Make a well in center, add the buttermilk, & w/a fork, work the milk into the flour till a soft dough is formed.

Turn into the prepared pan & bake for 10 min.
Reduce temp to 400° and bake till bread is golden brown & firm to the touch, ~45 min. Let cool slightly before slicing.
Makes 1 loaf.

This bread also makes a great crust for meat & game pies when rolled out to ~1/4" thickness.

iBcookin /Linda - Love corned beef and the leftovers!! I will never forget the year that my future MIL invited me over to St. Pat's Day dinner and served the traditional corned beef, but with green mashed potatoes and gingerbread with green whipped cream for dessert. She was into the spirit of things! But the green taters were a little tough to gag down!

sharonjo /Sharon - I haven't decided on an entree but will be making a Chocolate Guinness Cake (probably Nigella's) for dessert. I've wanted to try that for a long time now; St. Patrick's Day seems like the perfect occasion!

esgunn /Erin - I always make the same dinner for St. Patty's Day. And by the way my maiden name is Erin O'Leary Now Erin Gunn. Although I am a smorgasboard of family origins.

Glazed Corned Beef (boiled and then finished with a glaze of orange Marmalade, dijon, and brown sugar)
Basil browned New Potatoes
Roasted brussel sprouts.

Our favorite for St. Patty's day. No matter how much I make it is never enough! We leave that day, so I will probably make it sometime next week.

chef_Tab /Theresa - And may I recommend the following CD to accompany these fine dinners we are planning to prepare!

http://cdbaby.com/cd/mgtdtc2/from/celtic/

I think my favorite song is Jasper Tabby Kitty Catty.

pjcooks /Pj - Hello, Erin O'Leary! Greetings from a Patti Murphy although not Irish, just have the name!

I'll be doing a NE boiled dinner with turnips and soda bread tomorrow, with lots of leftovers for red flannel hash (the best part). Need to get some beets.

I just thought this was cute so thought I'd post it here. (Someone:?? sent this to me) I knew they ate a lot of pork, but didn't realize what a staple it was for them.

GOOD GRIEF - NOT BEEF!

I just want to put something straight
About what should be on your plate,
If it's corned beef you're makin'
You're sadly mistaken,
That isn't what Irishmen ate.

If you ever go over the pond
You'll find it's of bacon they're fond,
All crispy and fried,
With some cabbage beside,
And a big scoop of praties beyond.

Your average Pat was a peasant
Who could not afford beef or pheasant.
On the end of his fork
Was a bit of salt pork,
As a change from potatoes 'twas pleasant.

This custom the Yanks have invented,
Is an error they've never repented,
But bacon's the stuff
That all Irishmen scoff,
With fried cabbage it is supplemented.

So please get it right this St. Paddy's.
Don't feed this old beef to your daddies.
It may be much flasher,
But a simple old rasher,
Is what you should eat with your tatties.

Never stops me from doing it, though, just like I don't stop eatting "Chinese" food

labradors /labs - Since I can't get the corned beef, I thought about making an Irish Stew, but then I remembered that that uses lamb, and I don't have that, either (at least not inexpensively or on such short notice). :-(

labradors /labs - LOL! An Irish friend of mine just sent me this:
Quote:

Father O'Malley rose from his bed one morning. It was a fine spring day
in his new Texas mission parish. He walked to the window of his bedroom
to get a deep breath of the beautiful day outside. He then noticed there
was a jackass lying dead in the middle of his front lawn. He promptly
called the local police station......The conversation went like this: .
'Good morning. This is Sergeant Jones. How might I help you?'
'And the best of the day te yerself. This is Father O'Malley at St.
Ann's Catholic Church. There's a jackass lying dead in me front lawn and
would ye be so kind as to send a couple o'yer lads to take care of the
matter?'
Sergeant Jones, considering himself to be quite a wit, replied with a
smirk, 'Well now, Father, it was always my impression that you people
took care of the last rites.'
There was dead silence on the line for a short moment........
Father O'Malley then replied: 'Aye, 'tis certainly true, but we are also
obliged to notify the next of kin.'

chef_Tab /Theresa - Oh, Sonja, I saw those recipes too! In fact, every year I make corn beef and cabbage, so this year I decided I would make shepherds pie instead. Well now I want both because of the two recipes. I think we will be celebrating twice at our house! Both recipes sound great, even the sweet and sour cabbage!

AND NOW 2010 AND WE CAN JUST KEEP ADDING TO IT –

cjs /Jean - Whiskey-Glazed Corned Beef (it's been corning for 5 days)
Bubble & Squeak
Sauerkraut (just cause Roy loves it so)
Irish Soda Bread with Irish Whiskey Butter

Yum, I can hardly wait! Oh, and a good Irish beer

chef_Tab /Theresa - I am making "Kells Shepherd's Pie". It is a recipe from an Irish Pub in Portland and includes Guiness and cabernet wine so it sounds great. I have the Guiness for drinking in the refridgerator. I will also make Irish Soda bread. Jean, do you mind sharing the Irish whiskey butter recipe? And tell me what bubble and squeak is!

And I am in shock.....Hubby did not wear a kilt to work!

cjs /jean - bubble & squeak is a combination of mashed potatoes and cabbage (a little bacon, onion thrown in) - we love it.

Irish Whiskey Butter - for St. Patrick's Day

1 tbsp sugar
9 tbsp butter -- softened
3 tbsp whiskey

Heat the whiskey and sugar in a pan until hot then stir in the butter until melted and fully combined. Allow to cool.

Note: when I made this, I allowed the whiskey and sugar to cool then kneaded it into the softened butter. Re shaped by rolling in wax paper and chilling. (I made this day before yesterday and stuck my finger in it - boy, is it tasty. I can't wait to have it slathered on soda bread. )

farnfam /Cis - Happy StPaddy's Day all! James doesn't like corned beef so we're having kielbasa and cabbage and taters....and beer, yum. I usually fry the cabbage but I'd love to hear some new ideas
Just found this one on foodgawker, man, I think this is gonna rock!
http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/0...lemon.html

pjcooks/PJ - Have to try the Irish butter. I have a little surgery scheduled for this afternoon, so I just threw a couple of corned beefs in one crockpot, and turnips, potatoes and carrots in another. Cabbage later. Hopefully I'll be able to throw together some Irish soda bread when I return, although pre-op drugs are already affecting me, so who knows!

If need be, I'll pull it all together tomorrow. Just was hoping to get it all done and delivered today.

cjs /Jean - Beer & Rye Pizza Dough
This dough is wonderful used with toppings such as sausages, sauerkraut, grainy mustards, Swiss cheese. Any strong flavored toppings will work with this dough. See page 114 for Reuben Pizza which this dough was developed for.

1 cup warm (110° to 115° F.) beer 1 T. kosher salt
(30 seconds in the microwave on High) 2 cups all-purpose flour
3 T. olive oil or vegetable oil 1 cup dark rye flour
1 T. sugar 2 tsps. active yeast

In a standing electric mixer using the flat beater, combine the beer, oil, sugar, salt. Combine the all-purpose and rye flours in a separate bowl then add to the beer mixture along with the yeast. Mix for 1 to 2 minutes. Change to a dough hook and knead the dough for 6 minutes. Place dough ball in an oiled bowl, turning over to oil the top of the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise in a warm place (75° to 80°F.) 1 1/2 hours until doubled in size.

Punch dough down and shape into a ball; refrigerate for 35 minutes to 1 hour. The dough can be left for up to 24 hours to develop flavors. If it rises in the bowl, punch it down, re-cover and put back in the refrigerator. The dough can be punched down 4 times before using. Or, you can freeze the dough at this time for up to 4 months.
When ready to use the dough remove from the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature for 4 to 6 hours before using. If the dough is frozen, let thaw overnight in the refrigerator then allow it to come to room temperature.

Note: Recipe makes about 25 oz. of dough – enough for 3 10-inch pizzas.

Reuben Pizza
Oven baking is preferred for this pizza.

Pizza Dough - Brush the dough with olive oil and set aside:
See page 112 for Beer & Rye Pizza dough for this pizza.

Sauce – Follow instructions for preparing the sauce you want and set aside:
2/3 cup Thousand Island Dressing (See recipe page 154)

Pizza Topping – prepare and set aside:
4 oz. (1 cup) Gruyere or Swiss cheese, grated or cubed
2 oz. (1/2 cup) mozzarella cheese, grated or chopped
1 cup sauerkraut, drained and squeezed dry
6-8 oz. pastrami or corned beef, coarsely chopped

Spread dressing over the pizza dough; top with the cheeses and sprinkle the sauerkraut over. Follow with the corned beef. Cook your favorite way.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: St. Patrick's Day Ideas - Annual by cjs (Maybe we can keep ad...)
Anymore new ideas before I unstick the sticky and let this one go to sleep for a year??
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day Ideas - Annual by cjs (Anymore new ideas be...)
Are you going to need a sticky to remind you to resurrect this next year?
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day Ideas - Annual by chef_Tab (Are you going to nee...)
(it's on my calendar, smarty! )
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day Ideas - Annual by cjs ((it's on my calendar...)
Here is one. Issue 49 Febuary 2005,

Reuben Twice Baked Potatoes and Russian Dressing.
Makes 4 potatoes
Total Time 1 1/2 hours

4 russet potatoes (8-10 oz each)scrubbed, dried and pierced.
1 T. olive oil
2 t. kosher salt
2 T butter
1 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups sauerkraut, drained
1 t. caraway seeds
1 cup corned beef or pastrami, thinly sliced and chopped
1 cup swiss cheese, shredded
1 T. minced fresh chives
Russian Dressing see recipe

Preheat oven to 450
Rub prepared potatoes with oil and salt in a large plastic bag. Bake on a baking sheet lined with foil for 1 hour, or until tender when pierced with a skewer. Cool until easy to handle.

Cut 1/2" cap lengthwise off the top of potatoes. Scoop out the potato leaving about a 1/4" thick wall. reserve flesh and place the shells back on baking sheet. Preheat broiler to high with rack in the top third.

Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat and saute onions 3 minutes. Add sauerkraut, craway and potatoe flesh and saute 3 more minutes, or until mixture begins to brown. Off heat stir in corned beef.

Spoon the potato mixture back into shells, then top each with 1/4 cup cheese. Broil 3 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Spinkle with chives, serve with Russian Dressing on the side.

Russian Dressing
Makes 1 cup
Total time 5 minutes

1/2 cup mayonaise
1/4 cup chili sauce or ketchup
2 T. scallion, minced
2 T. sour cream
2 T. sweet pickle relish
1 T. choped fresh parsley
1 t. fresh lemon juice
1 t. prepared horseradish
1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce

Whisk all ingredients together in a small bowl, chill.
Can be made ahead, and lasts up to a week in the refrigerator.
Erin
Mom to three wonderful 7th graders!
The time is flying by.
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day Ideas - Annual by esgunn (Here is one. Issue...)
Oh my, I know what we're having Sunday, Erin!! Supposed to rain, isn't it? perfect.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day Ideas - Annual by cjs ((it's on my calendar...)
Quote:

(it's on my calendar, smarty! )

At the risk of being sent to my room.....this made me giggle since you so often start the thread "whats for dinner Tues, (insert wrong date)" teehee. I am picturing the mad hatters calendar or something. You know I love you Jean.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day Ideas - Annual by chef_Tab ([blockquote]Quote:[h...)
" I am picturing the mad hatters calendar or something." well, well, that's exactly the kind of calendar I have....
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day Ideas - Annual by cjs (" I am picturing the...)
I just figured out a gift idea!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: St. Patrick's Day Ideas - Annual by Gourmet_Mom (I just figured out a...)
http://www.google.com/calendar
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?