Issue 38
  Re: (...)
Hi,

I cannot believe this...I bought every single magazine so far but apparently i started subscribing with issue 39 and not 38. #38 has a recipe for lamb shanks. If somebody has that issue would you be so kind as to post it.

Thank you
  Re: Issue 38 by piano226 (Hi,[br][br]I cannot ...)
I've got it. It's pretty long. I'll go type it in MC and get back with you.

Here you go. Did you need the Cheddar Cheese Grits? If so, I'll have to get that one to you a little later.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Barbeque-Style Lamb Shanks

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 lamb shanks -- ~1 pound each
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups yellow onions -- diced
3 tablespoons garlic -- minced
1 jalapeno -- seeded and minced
14 1/2 ounces canned crushed tomatoes -- in puree
14 ounces low sodium beef broth
1 cup dry red wine
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons fresh rosemary -- minced
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 bay leaves
For the Glaze:
1/2 cup honey
3 tablespoons chipotle chile canned in adobo -- minced
1 lime -- zested and juiced

Sear trimmed shanks in oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over high heat. Sear them two at a time, otherwise the pan will be too crowded to brown them properly. Once browned (about 5 minutes per side), transfer shanks to a platter. Pour off any residual fat in the pan and return the pan to the burner.

Saute onion, garlic, and jalapeno in 2 T. oil over medium-high heat, scraping up any brown bits in the pan. Cook until onion is soft, about 8 minutes.

Add remaining ingredients (up through bay leaves) and bring to a simmer. Return shanks to the pan (it's okay if they stack on top of each other), cover, and bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low gentle simmer, adjusting the heat as needed. Cook shanks 1 hour, checking periodically to make sure the liquid is gently bubbling. After 1 hour, turn and rearrange the shanks, then cover and simmer another hour.

Combine glaze ingredients while shanks braise; set aside.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in the middle. After braising two hours, transfer shanks to parchment-lined baking sheet, brush with some of the glaze, and roast in the oven for 5 minutes. Turn, glaze the other side, and roast another 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, skim off and discard any fat floating on top of the braising liquid. Increase heat to high and bring sauce to a boil to reduce slightly.

Serve glazed shanks on grits with sauce ladled over.

Source:
"Cuisine at Home, Issue 38, page 29"
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.
  Re: Re: Issue 38 by Gourmet_Mom (I've got it. It's p...)
you are so sweet...thank you thank you....bought 4 lamb shanks yesterday just to find out that i dont have that one freaking magazine...well actually two...#37 and 38...so purchased the whole volume today. GRRRRRRRRRR.
  Re: Re: Issue 38 by piano226 (you are so sweet...t...)
Oh bless your heart, Daphne - my scanner is not working and I thought I'd type it in for Marina if nobody did by the time I came back on. Looks good too! I sure miss having lamb in the freezer. I've missed out on a lamb the last two seasons, hopefully I can get back on their list again.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com