This is such a tasty dish. I made it in the a.m. and finished it up at dinner time and had it with some mushroom rice. Very, very good. It's a F&W dish. Since I'm not a big fan of red wine vinegar, I subbed about 1/4 cup of the vinegar with balsamic. I also used sour cream instead of creme fraiche, but didn't boil it.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar

14 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
8 large chicken thighs -- trimmed
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 garlic cloves -- thinly sliced
3 large shallots -- thinly sliced
3/4 cup dry white wine
2 tablespoons crème fraîche
3 tablespoons chopped tarragon (I used ~1 1/2 T.)

In a medium saucepan, bring the vinegar, broth, honey and tomato paste to a boil, stirring well. Simmer the vinegar sauce until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 8 minutes.

Heat the butter in a large, heavy skillet. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper and add half of them to the skillet, skin side down. Cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining thighs.

Add the garlic and shallots to the skillet and cook over low heat for 5 minutes. Add the wine; boil until reduced to 1/4 cup. Add the vinegar sauce and bring to a simmer.

Return the chicken to the skillet, skin side up. Cover and simmer over low heat until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to plates.

Add the crème fraîche to the skillet and boil for 3 minutes. Add the tarragon and season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve.

Description:
"For Paula Wolfert, this rustic Lyonnais dish is comfort food. Slow cooking transforms red wine vinegar, tomato, shallots, garlic and a touch of honey into a perfectly balanced sauce for chicken."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We've been keeping a bottle of white wine in the fridge to taste with different dinners and the Retreat Hill Riesling from Old Bay was great with this dinner. Also, Barnard Griffin '08 was surprisinglly good with it also.

One other caveat - I had a couple pieces of breast meat that I added, but I won't do it again, they were really dry, but the thighs were so moist and wonderful!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar cjs This is such a tasty...
How far did you take this dish, Jean? You mentioned making it in the a.m. and finishing at dinner. Did you cook it all the way and then reheat?

Also, is the vinegar flavor strong in this dish? I just can't wrap my brain around that one for some reason, but would like to try this.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Mare749 How far did you take...
"Return the chicken to the skillet, skin side up. Cover and simmer over low heat until cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to plates." I finished this step except I kept the chicken in the skillet and chilled it. Later, I heated it in a 350 oven to just warm it to 140, removed the chicken to a serving platter and added the sour cream(instead of creme fraiche) and tarragon and heated it and poured over the chicken.

Using straight red wine vinegar, I was afraid as you mentioned the flavor would be too strong, but using some balsamic and the honey and tomato paste melded the flavors perfectly.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar cjs "Return the chicken ...
This sounds great, too! Love red wine vinegar!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar labradors This sounds great, t...
PERFECT! Thanks Bill and Jean! I have some thighs I wanted to use, but didn't want to do Asian OR BBQ. I needed something different! This is it! I LOVE all the ingredients, so the final product should be perfect! THANKS!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Gourmet_Mom PERFECT! Thanks Bil...
It sure is a good one, Daphne.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar cjs It sure is a good on...
Thanks Jean, I was hoping the dish could be almost completed before saving for later. I like to cook in the morning more than in the afternoon, so there isn't so much to do before dinner. I wonder how this dish would adapt to the crockpot?
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Mare749 Thanks Jean, I was h...
hmmmm, that's something to think on, Maryann.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar cjs hmmmm, that's somet...
Well, heck! I FINALLY make this and THEN see the notes about the balsamic and sour cream. I agree with the sub of sour cream....I don't think it is necessary to boil the sauce at that point. I used half sour cream and cream. I REALLY wish I had noted the balsamic (which we love)....next time. And there will be a next time. It will make a great rainy day/cold weather dish.

This is a fast, simple dish, but the chicken turns out SO tender and moist. The flavor of the vinegar is not obvious at all....surprisingly. I can't really describe the sauce in the end. It's just GOOD! I served it with rice...no mushrooms....Andrew HATES them. The boys decided they wanted me to save the zukes for later, so I served some simple salad with it. I think green beans would have been the best side, though. Oh, I made one more sub, I subbed red onion for shallot 'cause it's what I had.

Jean, I'm wondering if this wouldn't work for Erin in the crockpot on low for 4-6 hours at the point where you have the sauce completed and add the chicken? Then add the tarragon (which I couldn't really taste with 2 T) and creme just before serving. I'm glad I decided to do rice after all. It would be a shame to waste that lovely sauce.
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar Gourmet_Mom Well, heck! I FINAL...
It's sure worth a try with the slow cooker - for me the work involved getting it ready for a slow cooker vs. prepping and finishing in the oven later in the day, would be about the same, work wise. But, that's me.
www.achefsjourney.com
Chicken in Red Wine Vinegar