I'm probably repeating myself, but old people do that.... I was born on my Aunt Marjean's 18 Birthday and we have had a special bond all my life. Memorial Day weekend she is turning 88 and since this coming Wednesday is 'our day with Marjean,' I made most of her birthday present today.

(for those who have the Journey...Home book, these cookies are all in it )

My Grandmother used to make these three cookies/muffins for her family, and my aunt still talks of them so fondly, so, I made a batch of each of them. AND, I used her (my grandma's) rolling pin also.

Upper left - Molasses Sugar Cookies (and I followed my aunt's instructions to always take them out when the 'cracks still look a little doughy' so they will be chewy. (page 151)

Upper right - My grandma called these 'Gems' and the kids called them 'Yum Yums' (page 214)

Lower middle - Filled Cookies - my aunt's favorite all time cookie, (page 213)
[Image: MOMSHELLEDYSCCOOKIES.jpg]

I hope she is just thrilled with her basket.

And tomorrow, I'm making the peanut butter pie Labs referenced for me a while back.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

My Aunt's Birthday Present cjs I'm probably repeati...
I can't figure out why you always say you aren't a baker. Those cookies look fantastic in my opinion! What a thoughtful gift to make for your aunt.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: My Aunt's Birthday Present Mare749 I can't figure out w...
Oh, how sweet! I know your aunt is going to LOVE IT!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: My Aunt's Birthday Present Gourmet_Mom Oh, how sweet! I kn...
Oh those look sooooo good!!!

Re: My Aunt's Birthday Present DFen911 Oh those look sooooo...
Oh my, I want one of those molasses cookies NOW!

What a thoughtful gift, Jean, she will be so appreciative.
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: My Aunt's Birthday Present foodfiend Oh my, I want one of...
I have to tell you, the filled cookies (in front) are the best I've tasted in years (and it has been for these! ) 'Course with a cup of shortening how could these not just be the most wonderfully flaky, delicious cookies. I told Roy to just forget getting these other than every 40 years!!!! Man, they are good.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: My Aunt's Birthday Present cjs I have to tell you, ...
Jean, what are they filled with? Occasionally my Mom makes raisin-filled specially for my Dad which look very similar (and, again, that shortening! She uses the no trans-fat type, and he doesn't notice a difference, she says it makes her feel a little better...).
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: My Aunt's Birthday Present foodfiend Jean, what are they ...
Here's the recipe, Vicci - I'm not a big fan of raisin filling in things, but I love this. And, IF I make these again very soon, I may add some toasted walnuts to the filling, just seems to be calling for them.

These filled cookies were made by Aunt Alma’s mother, Mom Walker who lived in White Bluffs, Washington, and also by my grandmother, who lived in Cold Creek, Washington, for their children. Over the years my Aunt Marjean increased the filling to 1 1/2 times for each cookie and cut them in 3 1/2-4” instead of 2 1/2-3” – she didn’t like stingy cookies.

Filled Cookies

1 cup sugar
1 cup shortening
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs, well beaten
3 T. milk
3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3 tsps. cream of tartar

Preheat oven to 375° F.
Combine all of the above ingredients together and roll thin; cut out with a cookie cutter 2 1/2” to 3” in diameter.

Put a spoonful (see ingredients below) of filling on one cookie; place another cookie on top and pinch edges together to seal well.

Prick the top with a fork to let the steam out. Bake 12-15 minutes on a greased cookie sheet.

Filling:
2 cups raisins, grind or chop finely
1 cup water
1 T. cornstarch
1/4 cup sugar
1 T. butter
1 tsp. vanilla

Boil together the raisins, water, cornstarch and sugar until thickened. Add butter and vanilla; let cool for a few minutes before using.

www.achefsjourney.com
My Aunt's Birthday Present