Time to do some cooking for my aunt again, so tried this recipe - it was in my MasterCook and I have no idea where it came from. I had some leftover pork from the Thai salad that I diced up for our portion (too spicy and too much texture for my aunt) and we had our portion for dinner last night - we were sitting on the porch while it heated up and all of a sudden the most wonderful aromas were 'wafting' (like that? ) out to us from the kitchen. It just smelled like the best comfort food smell ever. We had it with a green salad and it was just delicious - nothing the least bit fancy, but oh my, I'll make this again. 'Course, not for those of you in 90-100° weather right now.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Corn and Lima Bean Bake

1 can cream-style corn -- (15 1/4 ounces)
1 can whole kernel corn -- (15 1/4 ounces) liquids reserved (I used frozen)
1 can lima beans -- (15 1/4 ounces) drained
1 cup half-and-half or light cream (I used canned milk)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups crumbled saltines -- divided
2 tablespoons dried minced onion or grated onion
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped pimiento -- drained
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Cheddar Jack cheese
2 tablespoons melted butter

Grease a 2-quart baking dish. Heat oven to 350°.

Combine the cream-style corn, whole kernel corn, and lima beans in a large bowl.

Whisk the eggs with the half-and-half or cream and 1/2 cup of the liquid from the corn. If you don't have 1/2 cup of liquid, add water to make 1/2 cup.

Combine the two mixtures and stir in 1 cup of the crumbled crackers, the minced onion, pepper, and pimiento. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Top with the shredded cheese.

Combine the remaining 1/2 cup of crumbs with the butter and sprinkle evenly over the cheese layer.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until firm and lightly browned. Serves 8 to 10.

----

Old fashioned comfort food, that's for sure!
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
Corn and Lima Bean Bake