Okay, I am NOT going to the store tonight. That being said, I need to put my ribs on to marinade for "8 hours to overnight". My options are: wait for morning and put it in FoodSaver marinater for 8 hours or reduce the onion a bit, add half a large shallot and a bit of granulated garlic.

Here are the ingredients:

1 slabs pork backribs (between 6-7 lbs), cut into three rib pieces (each slab divided into about 3 or 4 pieces)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vermouth, sake
1/4 cup water
1/8 cup sesame oil
1/2 onion, grated or finely chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons ginger
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
(The author tried a spicy version of this, without success. I'm thinking I'll use some of William's beloved HOT Chili Garlic Paste, thanks again, Ron and Maryann, to get the heat we want.)

What would you do?
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

NO GARLIC?!?!? Gourmet_Mom Okay, I am NOT going...
I'd use the shallot and granulated garlic, but I probably wouldn't decrease the onion. I really like onion, and marinades like this tend to be pretty forgiving. Are you going to grill the ribs after you marinate them?

Re: NO GARLIC?!?!? karyn I'd use the shallot ...
I would do what Karyn said. Sounds good to me. And start slow with the HCGP, maybe only 1 tsp. to start, then taste.
Can't wait to try these, let us know how they turn out.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: NO GARLIC?!?!? Mare749 I would do what Kary...
That's what I was hoping to hear. I wanted them to be in the marinade as long as possible.

Regarding the HCGP, that's what I was thinking. For me, I may start with a half and taste. Then I'll be able to get an idea of how much heat I want AND to be sure the flavors will work. I can't figure out why the gal that wrote the recipe didn't think of this, unless she did and didn't like it. We shall see!

Off to mix and marinade!
Daphne
  Re: NO GARLIC?!?!? karyn I'd use the shallot ...
Quote:

I'd use the shallot and granulated garlic, but I probably wouldn't decrease the onion.

Ditto.
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: NO GARLIC?!?!? labradors [blockquote]Quote:[h...
Okay, now I did it! I looked at it wrong and added the same amount of sesame oil as all the other liquids and sugar. I knew it tasted strong...ARGGG!

Do I strain it and redo the sugar and liquids with a little less of the sesame oil, or go with it?

Theresa, whose turn is it to use the brain? I need it!
Daphne

Re: NO GARLIC?!?!? Gourmet_Mom Okay, now I did it! ...
Quote:

Okay, now I did it! I looked at it wrong and added the same amount of sesame oil as all the other liquids and sugar. I knew it tasted strong...ARGGG!

Do I strain it and redo the sugar and liquids with a little less of the sesame oil, or go with it?

Theresa, whose turn is it to use the brain? I need it!

Hubby and I are laughing so hard at this one. Apparantly it isn't my night with the brain because I made similar errors tonight trying to make the bulgogi for dinner. The heat makes it harder to think. That's my excuse tonight.
I am no chef, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but since it is just a marinade, I would just go with it. Hopefully whoever has the brain this week will help us out soon.
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: NO GARLIC?!?!? chef_Tab [blockquote]Quote:[h...
"and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night" ROFLOL! That's a good one, Theresa! The heat must not affecting you too bad to come up with that one. But I like the heat excuse. I'm using that one!

What I think I'm going to do is leave it as is for tonight, mix up all the other liquid ingredients plus the sugar, add that to the mix to dilute the sesame oil some, reseal, and let it marinade the rest of the day.

BTW, Theresa, which Bulgogi recipe are you using? I have a Korean Beef that's killer. It's not a true Bulgogi, but we love it. So how did it turn out?
Daphne
That sounds like a good plan, Daphne, especially since it's only the marinade. I can't wait to hear how you like those ribs!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."
[blockquote]Quote:

Add another recipe of all the rest of the marinade (without additional sesame) to your problem liquid--this should simply double the recipe--I think!?
"He who sups with the devil should have a. long spoon".
NO GARLIC?!?!?