This is done by pulling, no pasta machine used.

[Image: LaMian2.jpg]

Ingredients
5 cups of all purpose flour
2.5 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
2 eggs (100ml corn oil)**

**use corn oil to replace 2 eggs if you want a no-eggs version.

tapioca flour for dusting

Method
1. Mix all the ingredients together and knead into a dough.*
* dough should be dry not sticky.

2. Leave it aside(covered with a damp cloth) for 30 mins.
3. Roll out till very thin(about 0.2mm)
4. Dust with tapioca flour, roll up like swissroll and cut.
[Image: laMianRolled.jpg]

5. Remove/separate and slowly pull each strand of noodle till its at least 4 times its original length.
6. Roll up and form a ball and do the rest.

How to cook
1. Boil a pot of water, add noodles in to blanch for 3 to 5 mins till soft.
2. Drench in cold water for 30 seconds.

At this stage, you can either add to soup to cook, or stir fry with other vegetables/meat etc.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com

La Mein (Pulled Noodles) Version 2 Gina_Choong This is done by pull...
Oh, Gina, I know Labs will be so excited to see this. But I am too. I have a son that LOVES these! He's coming home for a visit soon, and he'll be here for his birthday. I may just have to brave my HOT kitchen and make these for him while he's home!

On more thing, what soup would you recommend putting these in? Andrew really likes chicken flavors for this kind of thing if that helps narrow it down. Beyond that his favorite take-out is Shrimp Lo Mein...since there will obviously be lots of noodles, I figure I may as well make both favorites...LOL!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: La Mein (Pulled Noodles) Version 2 Gourmet_Mom Oh, Gina, I know Lab...
Daphne

anything works with noodles. That is the best and greatest thing about it. My hubby loves it with curry soup or anything that is spicy and thick. Sometimes I just had it tossed dry with all the chilli pastes. Kids in Singapore love it tossed with oyster sauce, some sesame oil and even with bits and pieces of ham.
People Learn from one another, just as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17 New Internationl Version, Bible

tasteoftime.blogspot.com
  Re: La Mein (Pulled Noodles) Version 2 Gourmet_Mom Oh, Gina, I know Lab...
OMG! I always wondered how they do that! Will have to be trying this one. When I make homemade chicken and noodles for Ron, this is almost exactly how I do it, minus the stretching. I never knew about that. Thanks Gina!
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: La Mein (Pulled Noodles) Version 2 Mare749 OMG! I always wonde...
"I may just have to brave my HOT kitchen and make these for him while he's home!" - WITH him, Daphne, let him in on the fun and experience.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com

Re: La Mein (Pulled Noodles) Version 2 cjs "I may just have to ...
Thanks, Gina! That oyster-sauce, sesame-oil and ham idea sounds good, as does the Bak Chor mee. What else is needed for the latter?

A few questions about the noodles, themselves:
  • Why the difference between all-purpose flour in the one recipe and cake flour in the other? Since my original question that prompted this was how to make non-cut, non-machined ramen (as shown in the video links I eventually posted), and since ramen (in name and practise) supposedly is just la mian transplanted to Japan, which of the recipes would be closer, or did the Japanese modify the original recipe (e.g. using kansui instead of eggs)?
  • If one wished to make noodles that were entirely pulled, as with ramen, which recipe would stretch better? The things I read while researching my earlier post, often suggested cake flour, but not all did.
  • How big a batch do these recipes make, and how would the quantities relate, for example, to the typical, store-bought block of ramen?
  • How should unused noodles be stored? Refrigerated? Frozen? Dried?

Thanks again!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?

Re: La Mein (Pulled Noodles) Version 2 labradors Thanks, Gina! That ...
Bak Chor Mee..another recipe..! Here's answers to your questions:

All Purpose flour makes the noodle a bit more firm so when you pull it, it doesn't tear easily.
Cake Flour helps to make it softer, so if you use a pasta machine, its managable.

Kansui in Chinese make Alkaline Water. It used widely here in Asia to make noodles for longer shelf life. It has that strong alkaline smell..which I hate because that smell goes into the soup too.

All Purpose flour helps to make the noodles more firm, thus can pull till very long. I modify it to use cake flour with the pasta machine.

Well, these are good for 3 to 4 persons. My husband equates to 3 persons share!

Unused or uncooked noodles are best kept heavily dusted with tapioca flour/starch, wrapped in paper kitchen towel, followed by ziplock bag and into the freezer. Last for a couple of months.
To use, just remove and thaw in room temperature. Then remove all the packing.

Ideally you would pack in portions of 1 person in a bag..so its easier for you to unpack/thaw each time.

tasteoftime.blogspot.com

Re: La Mein (Pulled Noodles) Version 2 Gina_Choong Bak Chor Mee..anothe...
Cool! Thanks! Definitely need to try these soon. Would love to try the Bak Chor Mee, too, but can't do that one directly due to the price or unavailability of some parts of it. When I first saw it in the other thread, as "Minced Pork noodles," I didn't realise it was going to be out of my reach due to the fish and black vinegar.

Many. many thanks, though!
If blueberry muffins have blueberries in them, what do vegan muffins have?
La Mein (Pulled Noodles) Version 2