I've made this variation on a Gourmet recipe for several years now and have never been disappointed. Well, except once when I failed to line the entire baking sheet with aluminum foil, juices seeped underneath, and literally baked the foil to the sheet. So much for the nonstick coating... anyway...

This is so easy, especially since I use an already-made pie crust. I added a thin layer of almond paste under the berries and this gives each bite a burst of almond flavor, then the berries melt in your mouth-- it is absolutely delicious.

I made it last weekend and 4 of us cleaned the platter.

I'm planning to make two this weekend for more guests, one with blueberries, and one with a mix of blueberries and nectarines. I'll let you know how the nectarine variation turns out.

Oh, and as often as I have made this, I never have made the lemon ice cream.

My changes to add the almond paste are in purple.

Blueberry Galette With lemon Ice Cream

For lemon ice cream

* 1 pt superpremium vanilla ice cream
* 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
* 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

For galette

* 1 lb fresh blueberries (3 cups)
* 2 tablespoons cornstarch
* 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar
about 3-1/2 ounces of almond paste, room temperature
* 1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie dough (from a 15-oz package)
* 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
* 1 large egg, lightly beaten

* Garnish: grated lemon zest (optional)

Preparation

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with foil and butter foil heavily OR spray very well with cooking spray.

Make lemon ice cream:
Transfer ice cream to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 30 percent power at 10-second intervals until softened, about 50 seconds total. Stir in zest and juice, then thinly spread in a shallow baking pan and freeze while making galette.

Assemble and bake galette:
Stir together blueberries, cornstarch, zest, juice, almond extract,cinnamon, salt, and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl until combined.

Soften about 3-1/2 ounces of almond paste, form into a ball, flatten it a bit with your hands, and place between 2 sheets of waxed paper. Using a rolling pin, form a 9" diameter circle. Set aside.

Unwrap pie dough, unfold, and roll into a 13" diameter circle between 2 sheets of lightly floured waxed paper, place the circle of almond paste in the center, then spoon blueberry mixture onto center of dough, leaving a 2-1/2-inch border around edge.

Fold edge of dough up over the blueberry mixture, pleating dough, then dot blueberry filling with butter pieces. Lightly brush pastry with some of beaten egg and sprinkle with remaining teaspoon sugar. I sprayed the crust with cooking spray, then sprinkled with turbadino sugar

Bake until blueberry filling is bubbling and pastry is golden, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool slightly on baking sheet on a rack. Serve warm galette with scoops of lemon ice cream.

Now, let's see if I can get a photo to go with...

[Image: 4884082692_4da508f214_m.jpg]

Blueberry Almond Galette foodfiend I've made this varia...
I have a ton of peaches.....I may give this a try with them this weekend.....or as soon as the heat wave subsides. Thanks again, Vicci, or should I be angry with you? If my clothes don't fit....it will be the latter
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Blueberry Almond Galette chef_Tab I have a ton of peac...
Hey, Theresa-- blueberries are healthy! Actually, there's only one pie crust, and I don't make the ice cream, so it can't be too bad. Can it?
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: Blueberry Almond Galette foodfiend Hey, Theresa-- blueb...
I have a friend that says, "if someone else cuts it.....the calories fall out"
Theresa

Everything tastes better Alfresco!

Re: Blueberry Almond Galette chef_Tab I have a friend that...
This looks delicious, Vicci! Thanks for posting. I'm allowing myself "one" dessert a week, usually on the weekend, so I'm thinking this may be the one.
Maryann

"Drink your tea slowly and reverently..."

Re: Blueberry Almond Galette Mare749 This looks delicious...
Maryann, you will not be disappointed!

One thing that bothers me about the recipe above, and I can no longer edit it, but...
(don't laugh, I like being precise!)

If you place a 9" almond paste circle in a 13" pie crust circle, that leaves a 2" border of plain crust dough. The almond paste is where you pile the berries, and you fold the 2" of dough up and over, not 2-1/2".

So, I was wrong in my instructions. Does anyone else cook with a ruler? In my own defense, I had to use my thumb as a way to measure since DH took my 7" plastic kitchen ruler a few weeks ago and "just can't seem to find it"!!!
Vicci

my cooking adventures
www.victoriasdays.blogspot.com

Re: Blueberry Almond Galette foodfiend Maryann, you will [b...
Thanks for the recipe - love blueberrys
will be making soon.

marye
Everything will be all right in the end. So if it is not right, then it's not yet the end.

Re: Blueberry Almond Galette mjkcooking Thanks for the recip...
This looks sooooo good! I love blueberries! And to think, I had a whole gallon, but I took them to YS a couple of weeks ago. I think they're still selling them at the store. YUM!
Daphne
Keep your mind wide open.

Re: Blueberry Almond Galette Gourmet_Mom This looks sooooo go...
Vicci, if you're still on, where do you want

"If you place a 9" almond paste circle in a 13" pie crust circle, that leaves a 2" border of plain crust dough. The almond paste is where you pile the berries, and you fold the 2" of dough up and over, not 2-1/2".

I'll fix it for you - this does sound good. And, Maryann, I like your idea of dessert once a week.

During our two week hiatus.... two neighbors brought dessert over and I had to put them in the freezer - now to decide which first.
Retired and having fun writing cookbooks, tasting wine and sharing recipes with all my friends.
www.achefsjourney.com
  Re: Blueberry Almond Galette foodfiend Maryann, you will [b...
I bet that would be even better with wild blueberries! It looks great. I have two rulers in my kitchen, Vicci. Use 'em all the time.

Have a great weekend with your family!

PJ
PJ
Blueberry Almond Galette